PDA

View Full Version : VIC 3 points for displaying wrong P's?

viett
23-09-2013, 04:54 AM
Hey I'm a red p-plater and today I was pulled over driving my sister's car which had green P's displayed cause she's on her green P's.

The officer gave me a $149 fine and 3 demerit points, is this normal? I was expecting maybe 1-2 but seriously 3? Is there any way to dispute this WITHOUT going to court? or do i just have to cop it.

Chernoby1
23-09-2013, 08:05 AM
It is 3 points. Wrong ps or no ps; is same.

Only way to not get it is to go to court and fight the whole thing.gg.

RenzokukenJ
23-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Next time you would think about displaying your P's properly after this now right?

If so they have done their job properly.

Chernoby1
23-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Assuming you are influenced by the punishment, then probably yes.
Or maybe you can be a stubborn fool like me and not do it because i dont agree with it on principle... in which case GG to you.

Also, note that if you have any plates up and are on a full lisence they CAN give you 3 points too.

bennjamin
23-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey I'm a red p-plater and today I was pulled over driving my sister's car which had green P's displayed cause she's on her green P's.

The officer gave me a $149 fine and 3 demerit points, is this normal? I was expecting maybe 1-2 but seriously 3? Is there any way to dispute this WITHOUT going to court? or do i just have to cop it.

Grow some balls and pay for your mistake. We've all been there !

lolmclol
23-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Must have been a real pain in the neck to the police for them to hand out 3 points, happened to a friend of mine and he was super respectful and honest with the officer and got off with a warning.

viett
25-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Nah it was an honest mistake, wasn't trying to get away with anything. It was my first time ever being pulled over in 2.5 years of driving, I was really polite to the cop and asked if we could negotiate the demerit points and he said it's set and there's nothing he can really do about it. Just thought it was a bit unfair, but the law's the law.

bennjamin
25-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Nah it was an honest mistake, wasn't trying to get away with anything. It was my first time ever being pulled over in 2.5 years of driving, I was really polite to the cop and asked if we could negotiate the demerit points and he said it's set and there's nothing he can really do about it. Just thought it was a bit unfair, but the law's the law.

You could take it to court and get some sort of leniency due to good behaviour - but at what cost ? (Legal fees and time) .
Not worth it !

Integra-GSi
28-09-2013, 06:03 PM
If you've never had a driving offense, your first point of call is to write a letter to the officer that ticketed you explaining your good driving behaviour, ask them for leniency and that it be recorded officially as a warning.

The next step is to take it to court and show cause as to why you believe the penalty was to harsh, I'd argue on the grounds that you're a P plater and never have lost a point and that a 3 point offense puts you on grounds where if you get another traffic related offense you could lose your license. I'd then state how this could lead to undue hardship due to the fact that you wouldn't be able to get to work. I'd use this particularly if you live in a state where there isn't a good driving behavior bond.

Either way any decent magistrate is going to chuck it out, at worst they'll make you pay the fine but not record the points.

Just represent yourself, traffic offenses are really easy to defend, if you have any problems get a free legal consulation and/or ring legal aid, they'll pretty much say exactly what I did particularly if it's your first offense.

amant02
28-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Lol, just cop it sweet, unless you like wasting your time at the court. Think about it, you gota dress up go to go court, wait in line for idiot drink drivers and hoons to finish their case, then you get your turn. Then you ass kiss and pay court fee's and what not thats required. IF you mess up, Judge has the power to increase your punishment. Court is a kunt of thing to do, i'd just cop it.

And how are you still on your red's if you have been driving for 2.5 years??
Go get your greens or are u no being honest to us and have been suspended before?

And also lets not forget how much the govt likes its money, this is going to cost you either road you take.

Also forgot to mention, you will have to attend twice. 1st attendance will be just to get a date for your case to be heard, and the line for this is OMG specially if housing is near your place lol.

viett
28-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Lol, just cop it sweet, unless you like wasting your time at the court. Think about it, you gota dress up go to go court, wait in line for idiot drink drivers and hoons to finish their case, then you get your turn. Then you ass kiss and pay court fee's and what not thats required. IF you mess up, Judge has the power to increase your punishment. Court is a kunt of thing to do, i'd just cop it.

And how are you still on your red's if you have been driving for 2.5 years??
Go get your greens or are u no being honest to us and have been suspended before?

And also lets not forget how much the govt likes its money, this is going to cost you either road you take.

Also forgot to mention, you will have to attend twice. 1st attendance will be just to get a date for your case to be heard, and the line for this is OMG specially if housing is near your place lol.

yeah i'm probably going to just take the points, and i've driven 2.5 years cause I brought my first car before I turned 16, been through like 6 cars since then. Obviously driven unlicensed.

amant02
28-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Karma is bitch

charliebrown
28-09-2013, 08:15 PM
yeah i'm probably going to just take the points, and i've driven 2.5 years cause I brought my first car before I turned 16, been through like 6 cars since then. Obviously driven unlicensed.

hardestttt

Integra-GSi
29-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Ahh well... driving unlicensed catches up with you, good luck doing the next 3 years on one point. Its a shit doing 1 year on a single point, I've been there... Don't lose your Ps either or the whole process starts again and you'll never get off them. I've known people who are 25 and still on their Ps due to being deadshits.

I also knew a guy who lost his license completely from not paying fines and the transport department put him back on his Ps. He was 35... sucks to be him.

RenzokukenJ
01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Ahh well... driving unlicensed catches up with you, good luck doing the next 3 years on one point. Its a shit doing 1 year on a single point, I've been there... Don't lose your Ps either or the whole process starts again and you'll never get off them. I've known people who are 25 and still on their Ps due to being deadshits.

I also knew a guy who lost his license completely from not paying fines and the transport department put him back on his Ps. He was 35... sucks to be him.

i am 25 and i was on my P's from losing my license many times lmzo

however when i got my license back, i got all my points back because i lost it for so long

feltgoodman/10

viett
02-10-2013, 02:10 AM

Wait i thought if your P's gets suspended for 3 months then after you get it back you get your points back?

Integra-GSi
05-10-2013, 10:31 PM
It does man, I was talking about having 1 point left on your license. If I recall correctly you get 4 points on your Ps but it's also been 7 or 8 years since I've had Ps so I don't exactly remember. I was also talking more specifically about a single point license, trust me my driving record isn't brilliant, I've done a lot of stupid shit which is why I'm here now driving a GSi as a daily. I had to teach myself a lesson about doing things properly with cars... I know shit all about Hondas and I'm learning as I go, I'm a Toyota driver.

On the issue of losing your points, yes it feels even better after you've been on a good driving behaviour bond with 1 point for 12 months and you get all your points back. Looking over your shoulder before you get them all back just gets tiring really quick. If I come off as preachy about doing things properly, it's only because I was more than a bit of a knob in the past who paid no attention to what people said in places like these about my driving habits.

viett
05-10-2013, 11:09 PM
It does man, I was talking about having 1 point left on your license. If I recall correctly you get 4 points on your Ps but it's also been 7 or 8 years since I've had Ps so I don't exactly remember. I was also talking more specifically about a single point license, trust me my driving record isn't brilliant, I've done a lot of stupid shit which is why I'm here now driving a GSi as a daily. I had to teach myself a lesson about doing things properly with cars...

It feels even better after you've been on a good driving behaviour bond with 1 point for 12 months and you get all your points back. Looking over your shoulder before you get them all back just gets tiring really quick. If I come off as preachy about doing things properly, it's only because I was more than a bit of a knob in the past who paid no attention to what people said in places like these about my driving habits.

Ah I understand, just the thought of having 1 point for a whole year seems intimidating to me and somewhat impossible. I mean for the first two years of driving without a license I never got into a single accident or a received a single fine/speeding ticket, but as soon as I got my P's I was more careless because I wasn't as afraid to get pulled over. So I'm hoping that losing my license for the first time makes me a more careful even when I get my license back.

Integra-GSi
05-10-2013, 11:17 PM
In some ways you're better off taking the suspension, I couldn't because of work commitments.

viett
07-10-2013, 12:11 AM
In some ways you're better off taking the suspension, I couldn't because of work commitments.

Yeah I'm taking the suspension, thanks for the advice! :)