PDA

View Full Version : FD Civic Sport wheels vs. VTi wheel setup

stevo1210
26-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Okay, so I have a 2010 FD Civic VTi and I've got the factory 15" alloys. I paid a bucketload for these when new, but it's time to get bigger wheels to match the modulo kit.

So I rocked up to the dealer today with $1200 and wanted to get the 17" Modulo wheels in bronze for my VTi but then the guy at the sales counter said it will void my warranty?! So I stopped to have a long hard think, and a discussion with ozhonda people. :O

He said the VTi suspension cannot handle the 17" wheels since the Sport suspension is different? From what I was told, the 17" uses 215/45/17 tyres and my stock ones are 195/65/15... the lower sidewall of the 17" tyres attributes to more harshness and shock which is transferred into the struts and suspension setup... because of this, my car's suspension will be damaged over time? I was then told my best option would be to purchase the cheaper ($880) 16" Modulo alloys (205/55/16)... same design but silver and 1" smaller.

Now looking through ozhonda... it seems that everyone has chucked 16" or 17" tyres on a VTi for looks...

But I wanted to know one thing... is the VTI/VTIL suspension different to the SPORT suspension in an FD?

Using an online tyre calculator... overall size of the 15" wheel I have now is very slightly bigger than a 17" due to the thick rubbers.

jprak
26-09-2013, 11:07 PM
from what i heard, sport ver. is an inch lower than our base models. but i guess he's right on the suspension and shocks damaging. BUT it wouldnt happen right alway or some sort.

do you plan on changing suspension? aftermarket shocks and springs?

BUT changing over wheels shouldnt void the warrantly,

im currently running type S wheels which are 17x7 + 45 and they're ok(since im on bags) but i had them previously on stock height no guards rolled and they were perfect with 215/45 front and 225/45 rear no scrubs.

stevo1210
26-09-2013, 11:11 PM
from what i heard, sport ver. is an inch lower than our base models. but i guess he's right on the suspension and shocks damaging. BUT it wouldnt happen right alway or some sort.

do you plan on changing suspension? aftermarket shocks and springs?

BUT changing over wheels shouldnt void the warrantly,

im currently running type S wheels which are 17x7 + 45 and they're ok(since im on bags) but i had them previously on stock height no guards rolled and they were perfect with 215/45 front and 225/45 rear no scrubs.

Nope, not changing my shocks. Keeping it all stock. Gosh, I want to keep my car for another 5 to 10 years... I'd prefer no damage to suspension. :zip:

Thanks for that. I'll take a long hard think tonight over wheels. :)

curtis265
26-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Just so we're clear, a dealer cannot void your warranty. They can only deny your waranty claim if they can prove the modification attibuted to the claimedfailure

Also if you change your wheels baxk befor going to the dealer who's going to know?

You are very,very unoikely to have any issues from a set of 17s.

stevo1210
26-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Also if you change your wheels baxk befor going to the dealer who's going to know?

I was thinking of that too! But then again, where exactly do you store wheels inside an apartment. :(

SharkChu
26-09-2013, 11:38 PM
sub. I'm curious about the answers to stevo's Qs too.

VTI-L, came with OEM 16'' alloys, hoping to move to 17'' cr kais. Just curious about the consequences of this. I'm too leaving suspension etc stock.

davek
27-09-2013, 04:17 AM
My VTI-L came with 16" alloys. I fitted 17" civic sport wheels at 40,000 km. I now have 86,000 km on the clock with no issues. My car has always been serviced by Collins at Rockdale. I used to live next door to them, purchased the car from them, know all the guys and at no stage has anyone ever mentioned warranty and 17's.
The only comment has been how the wheels suit the car. A guy at my work has a vti with 18's and all seems good.

nicho
27-09-2013, 12:15 PM
sub. I'm curious about the answers to stevo's Qs too.

VTI-L, came with OEM 16'' alloys, hoping to move to 17'' cr kais. Just curious about the consequences of this. I'm too leaving suspension etc stock.

It really depends on the size of the Cr kai's. For a stock suspension, i think you can have a max of 9 width before it scrubs.

lolmclol
27-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Pretty simple really, if they're willing to say that to you, turn around and request that they put what they've said in writing, signed and on their dealership's letterhead, furthermore you'd also like them to find exactly where Honda has stated what they're relaying to you.

I had a similar run in with a Toyota dealership, they thought they would be able to bluff one of my friends as she’s female. After requesting the above, the person that I spoke to (on her behalf) at the dealership words changed rather quickly and I ended up receiving a nice letter of apology for my friend for receiving false and incorrect advice.

stevo1210
27-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Something else got me thinking about the 17" wheel package vs. 16" package last night...

I drive down this crap quite often...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/486135_10151531147143428_2037108649_n.jpg

Now ignoring the suspension comment I stated earlier, but the tyres itself, am I going to have shredded tyres at this rate with 17" wheels cause of the thinner rubber? Like rim to rubber and crap roads out west???

curtis265
28-09-2013, 12:06 AM
No. You don't get less rubber, you get less air.

So it's not going to be as cushy acc you will experience a bit more nvh, but it's not going to be night and day.

davek
28-09-2013, 05:49 AM
When I fitted 17" Sport wheels, and ditched the 16" VTI-L wheels, I lived in Goulburn. Most of the roads were simply crap. You wont get tire damage Stevo.
There was a lot of difference in performance, much better road holding, less steering to negotiate bends and a much more sure footed feel.
The ride did get more uncomfortable, however.

Honda_FD
29-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Something else got me thinking about the 17" wheel package vs. 16" package last night...

I drive down this crap quite often...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/486135_10151531147143428_2037108649_n.jpg

Now ignoring the suspension comment I stated earlier, but the tyres itself, am I going to have shredded tyres at this rate with 17" wheels cause of the thinner rubber? Like rim to rubber and crap roads out west???

Thats nothing. You will naturally learn where to drive if you have to go through that everyday.
The road going into my house is like a teenagers pimply face and I can go through it at about 30km/h
in a car thats 7cm off the ground (At the bumper. So exhaust is a lot lower)
So I'm sure you will learn

As for tyres. I get cheap china junk in the rears ($65 Each) and they last me about 6 months. But keep in mind i have a lot of Camber. Ideally cheaper tyres lasts longer than expensive tyres. Cheap tyres are made with a Mild/Hard compound making them wear slower BUT sacrificing grip. And vice versa Expensive tyres are made with a soft compound, Wears quick but HEAPS of grip.

But since you're on stock suspension so your tyres wont wear fast. and a decent set will last about 3 years depending on your driving.

It really depends on the size of the Cr kai's. For a stock suspension, i think you can have a max of 9 width before it scrubs.

Not necessarily. The rims offset plays a VERY big part in choosing wheel sizes. I used to have Staggered CR Kais 17x8+32 & 17x9+38 215/40 all around.
And only got a little rubbing from my passenger rear because of the fuel line (Nothing Major) Just cut the plastic and put some heavy duty tape over it and problem solved.
BUT thats with the car slammed on its ass so stock height shouldn't be a problem.

Honda_FD
29-09-2013, 09:44 PM
ALSO!!!!

Slammed On Stock Wheels FTW!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z236/crazyazn312/1079672_10151556264845794_1760198305_n.jpg

jazznewbie
14-10-2013, 01:11 AM
I have a 08 civic vti. I am thinking about getting 17" alloy wheels like the one on the fd civic sport. Can I still buy them from the dealer ?

jprak
14-10-2013, 02:18 AM
^more chance to buy it off wreckers or someone on gumtree or ozhonda. save yourself $$

Honda_FD
14-10-2013, 12:29 PM
^more chance to buy it off wreckers or someone on gumtree or ozhonda. save yourself $$

Yup. Yup. :thumbsup: