PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone school me on civic model designations?

ozswitch
01-10-2013, 06:37 PM
So what is an EG5? How is it different from a EG4 etc. Same with the EK models what is different between an EK1 and an EK*?

cheers.

amant02
01-10-2013, 06:41 PM
EG5 - VTI model. This came with everything GLi (eg4) did but with a better motor. Double Over head cam non vtec and single cam vtec over the gli. Also some had sunroofs (vtec models)

Ek1 - gli and cxi - gli was descent (power features), cxi i wouldnt even bother looking at (no power features) both trims came with d series motor.

ek4 - Bang for buck performace all power features and the B16a2

EKVTIR-T
01-10-2013, 06:43 PM
SI is dohc nonvtec

Vti sohc vtec

amant02
01-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Both performaces just as well as each other. If staying NA go single cam vtec for the vtec sound, if going boost go the double cams very helpful in tunning.

eren
01-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Ek1 - gli and cxi - gli was descent (power features), cxi i wouldnt even bother looking at (no power features) both trims came with d series motor.

ek4 - Bang for buck performace all power features and the B16a2

EK1 ( CXi / CXi Sport / GLi ) CXi/Cxi-s = Base line ek ). GLi = Extra features like Tachometer/Power Windows/Power Mirrors/Front Swaybar/Rear Disk brakes.
EK4 (VTiR) ( Like GLi + TwinCam b16a2 + Rear Swaybar + Sunroof + Interior colour + seats etc.)

ozswitch
01-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Ok for a track car with a K swap and running something like a haltech ecu, is there reasoning behind choosing an ek4 or an eg5 rather than the base model?

Coming from an evo so all these model designations are alien to me.

Cheers.

eren
01-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Ok for a track car with a K swap and running something like a haltech ecu, is there reasoning behind choosing an ek4 or an eg5 rather than the base model?

Cheers.
i dont know about Haltech ECU or K swaping or anything like that but! if you're asking what to buy and do a kswap in , i would simply choose EK1 GLi . Since it has no sunroof the weight should be better ' not 100% sure about the distribution on the weight' but would be lighter for sure. Since GLi is missing a rear sway bar , Upgrade to a EK9 one but i think you need a Subframe brace aswell . i have no idea about eg's but i know that the EK chassis is better for track even if the eg is lighter . My 2 cents lol

DreadAngel
01-10-2013, 10:11 PM

Cheers.

I would assume choosing them has to do with the brakes and suspension allowing you to upgrade easier.

Also the base model EG are Carby so when you do the K-Swap, you'd have to do the Carby ---> EFi conversion etc...

Baby Face
03-10-2013, 01:16 AM
ek4 would be easy, but a waste of an ek4 since you have spent extra to get the b16 engine.

it would be easier because its already EFi, and already has discs all round which are upgradeable (front goes from 260mm to 280mm easy)

if you have the money you can do it to any. but eg4/5/ek1 will have EFi but will need a brake upgrade. eg4 be a cheaper base and still has power options.

javer81
04-10-2013, 10:19 AM

Cheers.

It really depends how and what you want to achieve for the track car.
You will probably not go with the sunroof models (eg5vti or ek4) if weight is an issue.

The reason behind most ppl going for an ek4 or eg5 might be due to the power options and sunroof for street/track comfort.
you will need lesser parts for conversion as they comes with front and back disc brakes options and EFI, as oppose to rear drums and carby.

Rage King
04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
just buy a EK-VTiR = B16A2

problem solved.