PDA

View Full Version : turbo charging dc5r

franki
01-04-2005, 08:57 AM
hey guys. i know there are bolt on turbo kits for the dc5r but can anybody tell what else i need to have installed to run a bolt on turbo detonating my motor. also how much and where can i c sum good prices on the net for bolt on turbos kits. :honda:

deltaboy
01-04-2005, 09:25 AM
shoulda gotten a turbo car lol

well im not sure wat else you need to install but i was told that you gotta change a hell of a lot of things to suit the turbo. probably the whole engine parts as well as brakes and clutch etc. try asking TODA AU he might know coz from the last time i saw, the company were building up dc5's or so. i think its more than just bolt on.

to me i think it might cost over 10k? im not sure, im pretty much noob at this.

my mate recommended i supercharge the R instead of turbo charging it. coz he said something about turbo kicking in before vtec engages and all this mumbo pointless jumbo. so yeh. thats around 10k for me as well. just research around and see.

might as well pick up a turbo charged car for 10k. 180sex. LOL

davidd
01-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Goto www.clubrsx.com (http://www.clubrsx.com/)... more than enough info on there...

Also Even talk to James from Hondata Australia, I know he really wants to turbo a DC5

fly_vti
03-04-2005, 07:19 PM
nooooooooooo dont turbo it! :( stick to n/a man.

edw-R
03-04-2005, 08:27 PM
I saw japanese video. The turbo DC5R pretty fast. In my person opinion, i will stay NAAAAA.

ATSEK4
03-04-2005, 09:02 PM
N/a

BLKCRX
03-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Iv helped design the B, D, H and K20 engine Razz Tech/ HondaTech Turbo kit's.

Adrian from RazzTech does a great job on turbo'ing any Honda engine, his turbo manifolds are just works of art, if your in Melbourne PM me for his contact info.

All his turbo kits are custom install jobs and all must be fitted by him self.

Each Kit is designed around the end users project in mind, with only quality parts used. His kits aren’t for those that want to spend just a little bit, its all out of nuffin with Adrian. incidentally he has stock type R dc2 b18c7 engines making well over 200kw on low boost, and like wise with the k20 which makes even more power.

Regards James

BLKCRX
03-04-2005, 10:36 PM
turbo kicking in before vtec engages and all this mumbo pointless jumbo. so yeh

b/w that’s just all MYTH !! LOL at People saying crazy stuff like that…

Vtec turbo combinations ROCK… yay for my 1.6L 450kw+ Honda Vtec b16 Engine.

Regards James

sharik
03-04-2005, 11:12 PM
I think that if you have some money laying around even after the Turbo Dc5R all done, go for it, if not and cops will......... for it, take all the bolt ons off blah blah....

Main thing to worie about is the compression, gota lower it espessialy if planning on moderate boost. Easy to do though. Good Luck

BLKCRX
03-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Main thing to worie about is the compression, gota lower it espessialy if planning on moderate boost ??

MEH why do you need to lower compression ;) if its tuned right anything is possible.... high compression ;) high boost ;)

The k20 engine responds Perfectly to 9psi, never have I in all the engines iv been associated with or designed or tuned recommended low compression ! Stock or High compression all the way !!!

Regards James

ProECU
03-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Interesting James,
Last I rememer, you were using JE flat turbo pistons in your 450+kw B16 u bragger :)

TypeG
04-04-2005, 12:33 AM
any turbo kit for Jazz? LoL

staryknight
05-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Hey James, im running up to 11 or 12 psi on my stock k20a2 engine at peak, is that too dangerous a level? mm i have tuned it down, because last time i got it serviced it was peaking at 1.3Bar.. or about 18psi.. lol i was advised to keep it uunder 0.7bar.

davidd
06-04-2005, 08:20 AM
hey staryknight,

What computer is your car running ?

BLKCRX
06-04-2005, 10:55 AM
I hav’t pushed the limits of a k20 engine yet, and blown up a turbo k20 yet… can’t wait until the day I do thow …(all for research of course) if your engine is feeling strong, and its tuned, and is handling 18psi then sure keep it there, although I wouldn’t recommend it, those stock rods and just well not as strong as I would like them to be…. But if it works leave it, but on a personal level I wouldn’t be going above 10psi on stock internals.

Regards James

staryknight
07-04-2005, 01:37 AM
cool, thanks, yeh i think ill listen to what the experienced people have to say and stick with 10psi limit.. i needa get an electronic boost controller soon so i can control it exactly. My car has a motec ecu in it from previous owner, not sure exactly which one, but i might get it dyno/tuned soon just to get a hp reading and ill find out more then.

marcus
06-03-2006, 11:01 PM
gosh y dun u guys change to a b20 lower block plus new vtec cams??it will give more power...if nt 4 throttle b20 if nt a supercharged 4 throttle b20....definitely more then enough to wack an evo..

~~~theres no replacement for displacement~~~

yourfather
07-03-2006, 09:37 AM
yes marcus, let's change to an older block design, with the same capacity, with a poorer head design.

Weq
07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
franki,
there are a few bolton turbo kits out there. greddy, cybernation and a few others (google for k20 or rsx turbo kit) THey make great power and dont really brake the bank compared to a custom kit. Bolton 100+kw.

marcus
07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
sorry wrong b20 for eg ek and dc2 series...hw abt a supercharged k24 block wif new vtec cams for dc5 series??

BLKCRX
07-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Turbo charge'ing a k20 and k24 engine = much more power than supercharing at the same boost level ;) infact the same goes for B engines ;)

TURBO all the way !!!

Regards James

MR_PEA
07-03-2006, 11:31 PM
but u dont run into the dramas with supercharging that you do with turboing..
ie,
dont have the cool down period, or as long as warm up period.
nicer daily driver
dont get overheating problems on hot days.
and the kits are cheaper & easyer to fit
can use normal extractors & dont need a custom setup for the exaust.

and also you will find the more boost you run ie 14-20+ you will need to address the compression... i have seen a couple of high boost examples where the head lifts off the block and leaks @24psi
high compression is for NA
lower compression is more acceptable for forced induction....

MRJDM
07-03-2006, 11:36 PM
speak to james BLKCRX HE HAS JUS FINISHED TUNING A DC5R AND IT MADE 220+ATW ON 7PSI

Paul_Dc5
09-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Franki
im tellin u now, go for turbo, n/a is no fun.
U want power "get turbo its the way to go" my car is makin 226.8kws@wheels with a gt30-600hp :p
u can't go wrong with a turbo. Make sure u get james BLKCRX to TUNING but ;)

Thnxz again James, for tuning it for me its runnin like a baby. Im lovin it keke havn't lost a race yet.

Tofu
10-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Franki
im tellin u now, go for turbo, n/a is no fun.
U want power "get turbo its the way to go" my car is makin 226.8kws@wheels with a gt30-600hp :p
u can't go wrong with a turbo. Make sure u get james BLKCRX to TUNING but ;)

Thnxz again James, for tuning it for me its runnin like a baby. Im lovin it keke havn't lost a race yet.

lol good stuff Paul on your turbo setup...
did Scott end up installing it or did APC?
you're just not satisfied with N/A are ya...lol

Jeff:wave:

Weq
11-03-2006, 01:36 PM
NA is fun.. only with a v8 or 10k rpm :)

bboy_gadget
11-03-2006, 01:43 PM
So the DC5 with turbo goes off hey? I got a civic and I want to go more power and get more serious with a decent street racer, was thinking of going something with turbo such as a r34 GTT or WRX. What advantages does a turboed DC5 have over these cars? I know its all about how much $$$ u put in and the rest of it... I rekon turboed DC5's r insane!! :) but the other cars are stock with turbo and I don't want any hassels from turboing a non turboed car and worring about how long its going to go for. I'll look after it and stuff, but from what I been reading looks like there are lots of issues that need addressing. Wat tips u professional guys have? :wave: Thanks!!

Tofu
12-03-2006, 02:11 PM
must have an good and reliable tuner if you want to run a performance turbo car
imagine the Skyline, WRX or other turbo cars with their turbos taken out...
they are useless

MR_PEA
12-03-2006, 02:36 PM
but the type R would kill any of those cars with out the forced induction......

Tofu
12-03-2006, 10:53 PM
but the type R would kill any of those cars with out the forced induction......

that's exactly my point

HVL
12-03-2006, 11:47 PM
i am quite confused here with all these talk of turbo charging honda cars. if u guys like turbo cars so much , should just buy a turbo car. i think u guys have bought a wrong car at the first place.

Originally I thought ppl that choose Honda cars is because they understand and appreciate the hi-tech, high revving, balanced performance and reliable nature of the Honda built cars. What I don’t see is why there are so many turbo cars on the market for ppl to chose from, and there are ppl that chose not o buy them and insist on turbo charging a car that is originally designed to be a NA car.

MR_PEA
13-03-2006, 09:13 AM
i agree with you there, but the nissans are sooo comon, but the ITRs are a better handeling car to begin with buy adding a turbo you are really killing the compertition... on low boost where as a nissan engin has to run about 15pounds of boost(200sx) to get near a ITR on low boost..

Paul_Dc5
13-03-2006, 09:25 AM
The way i see it," 200sx skylin and wrx dont look that great " i like how the dc5 looks that y i got it. i didnt care about power at the start, when i did i was tryin to keep it n/a but i wasnt makin the power i want so i got a turbo.i need looks n power so i keep my dc5, i was thnkin about gtr34 but i just didnt like how it looks :p

i dont know about others, but that y i turbo for it

jooboo
13-03-2006, 09:46 AM
fk paul buddy..where u get all this money from

mrs_vtec
13-03-2006, 09:57 AM
The way i see it," 200sx skylin and wrx dont look that great " i like how the dc5 looks that y i got it. i didnt care about power at the start, when i did i was tryin to keep it n/a but i wasnt makin the power i want so i got a turbo.i need looks n power so i keep my dc5, i was thnkin about gtr34 but i just didnt like how it looks :p

i dont know about others, but that y i turbo for it

So you went hard out N/A was it paul?? then you got in turboed, my god boy, you crazy mofo, I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!!!!!!!, i run you in my dc2 vti-r, u gotta let me launch first cause imma gurl hehehe ;), nice car though paul very nice :thumbsup: .

bboy_gadget
13-03-2006, 12:33 PM
:wave: Yea sweet, Turbo DC5 hey? Mad, so how much HP ATW do u have? Wat turbo do u have, wat internals did u get and how long u had it running for? Dam these peeps r rite, that'd cost so much! Hook us up wid the info dude!! :cool:

HVL
13-03-2006, 06:34 PM
i agree with you there, but the nissans are sooo comon, but the ITRs are a better handeling car to begin with buy adding a turbo you are really killing the compertition... on low boost where as a nissan engin has to run about 15pounds of boost(200sx) to get near a ITR on low boost..

itr is a better handeling car is because the factory has tuned the car the way it is interms of power, and the weight of the car. when u turbo charge the car, it will have a big jump in power, which throws the original design of the suspension, drivetrain, and brake out of the window, and itr won't be a better handeling car anymore, unless u start modifying the above, which u could have done with a turbo car anyway and make it into a good handeling car.

another thing to remeber is itr is fwd, and big power never work with fwd, or else we will have all the drag cars in fwd. ITR is not for drag, ppl who chose to buy them shouldn't care whether it beats a turbo on the straight, Lap time is what counts. type r serise is made for track racing not for drag racing.