PDA

View Full Version : FD OEM lug nuts question

stevo1210
04-10-2013, 12:42 AM
About 10 weeks after my FD rolled out of the dealer in 2010, I decided to pick up a set of 15" OEM alloy wheels. These are the alloys you see on 06/07 VTI-L and also the 40th edition Civic's.

I took my car to Bob Jane so they could swap the tyres to the rims etc. They handed my steel wheels back with plastic wheel covers etc.

But the lug nuts they installed were basically the ones holding my steelies to the car but they just took the plastic washer out. The "ass" bit of the lug nut looks like a bulgy acorn. This is the surface that makes contact with the alloys. What I wanted to know was... will these lug nuts be fine for the long run or will I need to go find a wrecked VTIL to buy the "proper" lug nuts?

I have driven about 25,000KMs since then (when I installed alloys) with no problems at all... never loose etc... even did a few tyre rotations too at home.

Just asking because I saw the lug nut thread a few days ago...

jprak
04-10-2013, 12:51 AM
it should be the same nuts. are you talking about the black plastic ring around the OEM nuts? thats just used to keep dust or whatever out of the stud area no drama at all.

nothing to worry about :)

stevo1210
04-10-2013, 12:56 AM
it should be the same nuts. are you talking about the black plastic ring around the OEM nuts? thats just used to keep dust or whatever out of the stud area no drama at all.

nothing to worry about :)

That's the one... black plastic ring looking thing. They removed those from my wheel nuts for some reason when putting alloys on... I can definitely see the indent line where the "ring" is supposed to be!

Grayfox
04-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Honda lugnuts are ball seat type

http://site.brandsport.com/exterior/wheels/acorn-mag-ball-seats.jpg

curtis265
04-10-2013, 01:27 PM
why are they using ur oem nuts on aftermarket wheels

aftermarket wheels are usually a 60deg taper

stevo1210
04-10-2013, 10:38 PM
why are they using ur oem nuts on aftermarket wheels

aftermarket wheels are usually a 60deg taper

I don't have aftermarket wheels. I have factory alloys, bought a set of 4 from someone who upgraded to new aftermarket wheels.

curtis265
05-10-2013, 09:30 AM
lol my bad misread your post

Grayfox
05-10-2013, 10:25 AM
I dont know what kind of seat the normal steel type, if they are ball seat type there fine.
My civic never had washers in its wheels.