PDA

View Full Version : Civic FD 2011 noise in the morning

pacogun
04-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Hi all,

I have 2011 Civic FD done only 16000 km service regularly, however I notice the ticking noise from IDLE engine in the morning. I tried to record it with mobile or ipad but no success, too subtle. So, I try to describe as best as I can.
The sequence is always same like these:
1. Start the engine in: normal engine - Temperature: cold/ 1 dot on digital temp gauge - RPM about 1500.
2. Tick noise start when: Temperature rise to 3 dots on temp gauge and RPM about 900 rpm. Tick noise about 3 ticks per second.
3. Noise gone when : temperature reach 5 dots or almost half.
4. No more noise until car stop.
It's more noticeable in cold weather especially in cold morning. In warmer weather is less noticeable.
Can anyone advise? The car is still under warranty, but it is a pain to show it to dealer since it has to be dead cold to repeat the phenomenon that means I have to leave my car longer hour at the dealer.

curtis265
04-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Can't really help without a video or something dude.. and yes i knwo you tried.

You might just have to leave it with them overnight.

pacogun
04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Oh dear... Thanks anyway Curtis for your reply. Might try with mic connect to laptop, hate doing it especially cold morning.
Is it possibly something normal? Any civic FD1 owners notice similar noise?

Baygon
04-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Never heard of it before. Where does it sound like the ticking is coming from? Engine bay? Below your legs?

pacogun
04-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Never heard of it before. Where does it sound like the ticking is coming from? Engine bay? Below your legs?

Hi Baygon,
The noise is from engine bay. I opened the bonnet, definitely from the engine. If I sit inside the cabin, I describe the ticking sound like the sounds of pedestrian alert (you know the tick-tick-tick sound on pedestrian crossing to alert vision impaired people) from inside your car with window closed.
Oh, and also only noticeable when the car STOP IDLE. But when car is moving, there is NO noise.
When temp reach half, no more noise even when the car stop and idle.

Grayfox
04-10-2013, 07:24 PM
It could be one of the belts.

If they are nearing replacement get it done.

Get a stethoscope, 2 cheap and basic mics and plug it into an MP3 recorder or your phone if it can use a mic as a recordering source.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEXTzI4-pXg

pacogun
04-10-2013, 08:09 PM
:(
It could be one of the belts.

If they are nearing replacement get it done.

@ grayfox,
This car is only done 16000 km, built September2011. Are you sure? I know nothing perfect

Grayfox
05-10-2013, 10:26 AM
They could be a little freyed.
They could be damaged
Could be the valves.

hard to say really.

RenzokukenJ
05-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Does it sound more like it's squeaking?

leetie123
05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
I have a 2008 FD1 also has more of a "knocking" sound rather than ticking sound. is yours more a tick or a knock?

pacogun
05-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Does it sound more like it's squeaking?

@renzokukenj
It more like tick-tick-tick.

pacogun
05-10-2013, 07:31 PM
I have a 2008 FD1 also has more of a "knocking" sound rather than ticking sound. is yours more a tick or a knock?

@leetie123
Mine is more tick. Does your FD make tick/ knock noise in cold morning start from temp gauge about 3 dots until it reach half?

pacogun
05-10-2013, 08:01 PM
This morning I tried to use mic and a laptop to record the suspected noise, but alas, couldn't catch it. The weather was not cold enough ( it was about 14'C at my place @7am) and summer is coming. I guess I have to put on hold until winter come. And I am thinking to leave it over night at Honda Service at next service for my mech to check this. The next service will be due in next Year when the weather colder.
Hopefully it's only normal quirkiness of civic FD. So far it has been a great car ( efficient, comfortable cruiser, good looking, but need more fun, lol)
I have to Thank YOU all of YOU. You all have been so kind trying to help me. I am so glad to be part of OzHonda community and I will be around in this forum.
Cheers.

RenzokukenJ
05-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Might just the the timing chain noise, if it's only a small faint tick

pacogun
06-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Might just the the timing chain noise, if it's only a small faint tick

Yeah, I hope so. Finger-crossed. Maybe it just me too paranoid. Thanks Ren!

leetie123
06-10-2013, 11:18 AM
@leetie123
Mine is more tick. Does your FD make tick/ knock noise in cold morning start from temp gauge about 3 dots until it reach half?

mine is definitely more like a knock, like knocking on a wooden table.
it happens when my car is warm, generally not there when cold
i found its the worst when there is a small load on engine - idling in gear, idling with AC on. but drives fine. it changes with different engine oils too. i asked a mechanic to look at it and he was like sound seems to be coming from valve and headers but the car drives fine. he basically said the car drives fine, no need to spend money looking for small wear and tear. it took a while before I got over my paranoia about this :cool:

pacogun
06-10-2013, 04:56 PM
mine is definitely more like a knock, like knocking on a wooden table.
it happens when my car is warm, generally not there when cold
i found its the worst when there is a small load on engine - idling in gear, idling with AC on. but drives fine. it changes with different engine oils too. i asked a mechanic to look at it and he was like sound seems to be coming from valve and headers but the car drives fine. he basically said the car drives fine, no need to spend money looking for small wear and tear. it took a while before I got over my paranoia about this :cool:

Possibly another quirkiness of FD1. Thanks for participating!
Cheers.

pacogun
18-10-2013, 03:35 PM
I think I found the answer. It might be the noise from Purge Control Solenoid.
More explanation is from link below:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/137949-engine-tick-noise-answered.html
Similar symptoms, nothing to worry about. It just one of civic fd1's quirkyness.

xenonkuraz
22-10-2013, 09:03 PM
When my engine is cold and you rev it, it sounds almost like a battery powered engine