PDA

View Full Version : CL9 - Air Cond Issue

sameol3
08-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get some thoughts on my Air cond issue that just occurred over the weekend.

Air cond decided to stop working all of a sudden, didn't notice gradual loss in the coldness recently or anything. Just stopped working whilst i was driving, when i mean not working i mean it doesn't seem to kick in but fan works fine. Switches and all seems to be working and the displays there but i don't get any loss in power as if when the condensor clutch kicks in. I did pop the bonnet to see if there was anything physcically damaged but everything looks fine and no burnt smells or anything.

Just wanted to know if its just an issue thats it needs a regas?, or is there a issue with the condensor? Will be taking it in on thursday to get it checked out but wanted to know some of your thoughts so i can prepare myself and also avoid being ripped off if its just simply requires a regas.

Thanks in advance.

d1zzo
09-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Maybe your aircon filter .. check that or somethibg

sameol3
09-10-2013, 12:40 PM
I doubt it's the filter as there is air from the fan coming through the vents, just no cold air. Air cond system just seems not to be activating at all.

Jasemas
09-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Check actual air con motor as these tend to fry
Or was it condenser
Either way
best bet to see a mechanic

peteyyyy
09-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Check the A/C fuse, if nothing seems to happen it could be that simple. If not, look for any oil residue on any refrigerant pipe fittings/hoses, most likely if its a bit oily or greasy, could be a leak. Or could be the compressor clutch has stuffed itself. Could be anything man

sameol3
10-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Turns out it's the compressor letting go, worse thing is that it's damn hot in Sydney today. Looks like an expensive fix :(

Fredoops
10-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Turns out it's the compressor letting go, worse thing is that it's damn hot in Sydney today. Looks like an expensive fix :(

yeah you're in for an wallet whooping....

sameol3
10-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Yeah, almost had a heart attack when honda quoted me 2.5k to get it replaced. I'd rather trade my car in.... Then have pay for that. Ended up trying my luck on a reconditioned unit, fingers crossed that one will hold up. Can't believe after reading previous threads on how many euros have been affected by this, very poor quality for such an expensive part. I would of went aftermarket if had more time and if wasn't so damn hot.

Jasemas
10-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Second hand and get a mechanic to install
Win

markian
26-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I have had a similar issue. All of a sudden the a/c stops working but the fan continues to work. Had the system re-gased but from time to time it stops working. I can be driving along with the a/c on and all of a sudden it gets hot and sometimes its a matter of turning it off and on a few times which seems to fix it for a while. My guess is that its a fuse or damaged electrical component. Any ideas what the issue might be?

sameol3
26-10-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm guessing your compressor is on the way out. Do you get the kick of when the compressor kicks in when it happens? If you don't then more then likely it's the compressor is dying or the compressor or the compressor clutch isn't engaging. Doubt it's electrical or fuse related as then it wouldn't work at all.

aaronng
01-11-2013, 09:17 AM
If the compressor doesn't kick in, then it is the AC clutch. Usually the thermal fuse has blown. If the compressor fails, you'll hear it. It is not a pleasant sound!

sameol3
01-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Funny enough I didn't actually hear my ac compressor let go. It just seized up. I was just driving and realised it stopped working cos I was getting damn hot in the car.

markian
01-11-2013, 06:03 PM
It does get that Kick when i turn it on, 90% of the time. Hard to hear it kick in when driving though. It happened again today on the way home from work. Worked for about 15 mins then no a/c. Ill get it looked at and report back. Thanks guys.

markian
01-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Funny enough I didn't actually hear my ac compressor let go. It just seized up. I was just driving and realised it stopped working cos I was getting damn hot in the car.

Any idea how much it cost to get fixed?

sameol3
01-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Well it will vary depending on what you want.

I got a recond unit, so cost me 500 for the ac compressor, and 300 for install and regas.

One for the wrecker will be approx 250-300
And install will be 300 odd.

Honda on the other hand will charge u an arm and a leg. Brand new oem unit will be 1800 and another 500 odd for install lol.

I did see that there are aftermarket units going for around 800 or so, brand new. I believe I got quoted at a place who provides aftermarket units for 800 installed. I reckon I should of went for that option as from what I can tell these ac compressors seems to be a common problem in our euros.

Make sure they flush out the ac properly too once you get the replacement unit in, as mine was clogged with some bits from the broken compressor and stuck in the ac pipes. That caused lack of cold air on one side of the vents, I got them to do it again and regas and it's back to norm now.

Goodluck and let me know if u have any questions.

Jasemas
02-11-2013, 01:13 AM
Always stick with oem
As the system has to use specific lubricants/parts that the whole system depends on

aaronng
02-11-2013, 03:27 AM

If it did sieze up, wouldn't the accessory belt slip against the pulley, causing friction and lots of smoke? It sounds more like your AC clutch stopped engaging, so the pulley would spin freely but the compressor shaft would not rotate.

aaronng
02-11-2013, 03:28 AM
It does get that Kick when i turn it on, 90% of the time. Hard to hear it kick in when driving though. It happened again today on the way home from work. Worked for about 15 mins then no a/c. Ill get it looked at and report back. Thanks guys.

If the AC is kicking in fine but you get only hot air, then pull the bumper off to check the condenser unit. It's the small radiator in front of the main large radiator. Usually a stone or debris would have punctured it, causing all your AC gas to leak out.

po61ba2
03-11-2013, 08:12 AM
would other k24 ac compressor unit (crv or accord etc.) or other k series fits or it has to be off cl9 k24?

peteyyyy
03-11-2013, 12:40 PM
The compressor might be fine, if the pulley is still rotating and it doesn't clutch in, it could be a number of things, if you don't have any refrigerant in the system it won't start either, they have High pressure and Low pressure switches in the ECU that will trigger and then if they close circuit it will run, if any of them open circuit the compressor won't run, thus the compressor safety. So I'd get a mechanic with A/C exp to look for leaks, fuses, busted hoses etc. could be anything man! ask about refrigerant called minus 30 as well, could cost you alot less if there is a leak. heard you can buy it from bursons!

If it clutches, you're probably not up for a compressor, was it a hot day? it could have tripped a HP (High pressure) safety, other wise it could just be a thermal fuse gone.

sameol3
03-11-2013, 08:32 PM
If it did sieze up, wouldn't the accessory belt slip against the pulley, causing friction and lots of smoke? It sounds more like your AC clutch stopped engaging, so the pulley would spin freely but the compressor shaft would not rotate.

Your probably right, I was only saying what the ac guy told me. Your explanation does sound logical, is it even repairable when it comes to just the clutch?

sameol3
03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
would other k24 ac compressor unit (crv or accord etc.) or other k series fits or it has to be off cl9 k24?

I read that someone has used a unit from a crv but they did mention it was smaller in size, couldn't tell you if it was better or worse. In the end it will depend on your budget.

aaronng
04-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Your probably right, I was only saying what the ac guy told me. Your explanation does sound logical, is it even repairable when it comes to just the clutch?

If it is the thermal fuse, yes it is repairable. You can replace it with a similarly rated thermal fuse, or if you feel dodgy, a piece of wire.

markian
04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
If the AC is kicking in fine but you get only hot air, then pull the bumper off to check the condenser unit. It's the small radiator in front of the main large radiator. Usually a stone or debris would have punctured it, causing all your AC gas to leak out.

OK guys, so on Saturday i had no A/C at all and yesterday, it was working again. Have booked it in for the mechanic to take a look on Friday. Will let you know the outcome. He suspects a leak somewhere.

markian
07-12-2013, 04:09 PM
So i took my car to my mechanic to get it looked at. He said there was no leak or compressor issue and when he tried the a/c, it worked fine. I have actually figured out a way of making it work every time i go to use it. Rather than turning the a/c on by pressing the auto or a/c button. I have the whole climate control system off then i simply press the fan button and it works perfectly.

aaronng
08-12-2013, 02:07 PM
So i took my car to my mechanic to get it looked at. He said there was no leak or compressor issue and when he tried the a/c, it worked fine. I have actually figured out a way of making it work every time i go to use it. Rather than turning the a/c on by pressing the auto or a/c button. I have the whole climate control system off then i simply press the fan button and it works perfectly.
That is the same as Auto, just with a manually set fan speed.