PDA

View Full Version : Timing, boost and dual carbs LOL

nickk
08-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Ok guys,

I'm not a D-series guy but after working on some more powerful Hondas I thought I might as well own one for the fact that they are easier and cheaper to experiment with, especially when you break stuff.

So I bought someones unfinished project, its an absolute piece of engineering history.

D15B4 Dual carb with a turbo plumbed straight to a custom made plenum with no intercooler.

I'm sure some of you guys have seen people attempt this....

Anyway...

I've stripped the emission controls, the carb is rejetted and I have a colder range of plugs and have finally got it running.

I'm only 2 rotations away on the carbies before I lean them out but I'm still just dumping unburnt fuel when I try to take off and get some load on the engine.

Now... Timing is set slightly more advanced than stock at the moment.

My question is, as I add boost under load, should I be wanting to retard timing and add fuel?

For reference I got the car with the timing completely retarded and the fuel mixture screws out about 10 turns. So as I said above, its 2 turns before being completely lean and a little more advanced than the standard timing.

If anyone is really smart... please tell me which vac advance line should be plumbed where. If I plumb one straight to the manifold like in the workshop manual, what should I do with the other line because there is no black box?

Now no stupid comments about wasting my time, I didn't do this turbo conversion myself, I only bought it because it was so cheap and it seems like its so close to running.

nickk
08-10-2013, 06:21 PM
update: I should start with valve clearances to rule that out shouldn't I?

Adrian @ SAS
08-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Are the dash-pot's pressurised?

nickk
08-10-2013, 10:32 PM
That sits on the side of the carbs right? and has a tab that you bend to adjust? It's been removed.

Adrian @ SAS
09-10-2013, 05:47 AM
No, sorry, I mean't the vacuum chambers above the vac pistons which hold the main jet needles etc.

Engine manual:
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/ConcertoManual/sect2.html

Carb parts breakdown:
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/ConcertoManual/62sk301/6-22.pdf

nickk
09-10-2013, 08:37 AM
http://videobam.com/IzECL You can hear the hesitation obviously when I bring the revs up.

The two vacuum chambers are looped together with a hose like a U from the top of one carby to the other, you can see when I put my hand in the vid.

Should they be plumbed to the charge pipe or something?

Adrian @ SAS
09-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Vac chambers need to see boost, so connected to the charge pipe.

nickk
09-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Vac chambers need to see boost, so connected to the charge pipe.

Thanks for the help so far.

I have connected them to the plenum BUT.... I need larger diameter tubing than vacuum for it to be effective, like actual hose right?

What other vac lines off the carbs should see boost? The two under the carbs that connect into a T that usually goto the a/c throttle control?