PDA

View Full Version : What engine choice?

Drifter995
20-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Ok, so I'm sure there is tonnes of these type threads always popping up, sorry about that.

I'm after opinions on engine ideas.
I'm looking for a build I can do without having to spend too much money. Ie if I do a b series or d series professionally (which I would probably do myself now) it'll cost 10k to swap.

So, car is:
1977 first gen honda civic. It's a 4dr, so it's a long nose, which gives it a bit more length in the nose than a 2dr. There is a k20a filled one, which had a bit of a snug fit due to it's length, which I think means it might be a little less snug in mine, but yeah.

The options:
-Er-t from a city turbo
Pros: Easy to swap, get 15psi boost ezpz, 100hp straight off the bat, maybe a tiny bit more.

Cons: Can't throw too much power into it or it'll burn valves, constantly under boost (1500rpm boost kick in~), 8 valves

-Turbo the stock EC (optional: Get a 1200cc head for it <It's a 1500cc motor>)
Pros: No swapping out crap required, should be able to handle it without too much effort, can use modern turbos and waste gates, etc.

Cons: Might be hard to find parts to strengthen it a bit, will require a fair bit of custom fab work for the exhaust and intake. but other than that, everything else will be easy.
Also, it's carb'd, which is both good and bad... would need a blow through carby, 8 valves

-b16vtec or b18 with a b16 head, either or turbo'd (for some reason, frank engines are now appealing)
Pros: More modern, so parts are more readily availible and aftermarket support is through the roof. Injected, more power, vtak (would literally be my first ever vtec'd car, heh), better gearbox, more valves

Cons: Will need a lot of fabrication to get it to fit, would be the most costly build of the lot, but in theory the most rewarding, a LOT heavier

There is probably more options and what not, but figured they'd be the best bets. I have both the stock ec motor, the er-t (which apparently the er-t head doesn't fit on the ec... too many misaligned bits)
Just finding out about the burning valves and what not has made me a bit skeptical. I kinda want to give the car a nice amount of power, so it's a contender on the track/ in events, and it's more fun to drive.
But yeah, the er-t and ec motors are alloy or allu blocks, so they weigh about <100kg per motor. er weighs more than the ec I think.

So, if I go the ec and frank build it, I could get a 1200cc head with more valves, for more compression and better flow and what not. that'd give that a bit more kick and keep it happy. Whereas if I go the vtec, It'd be easier to get more power out, and not have to do insane amounts of work to the engines

So yeah, opinions would be great. I'm very heavily swaying away from the er-t now... The ec frank is looking like more and more of an option, but the lack of parts, and how old it is worry me. I'm tempted to pull it out, rebuild it, then chuck it in a roller, so I have a stock one. And just vtec the shit out of this one.

carayan
20-10-2013, 05:52 PM
I'd say er-t from a city, and make it a bit stronger if you can, might be the best bet, with EFI and what not

Drifter995
20-10-2013, 06:28 PM
It's got efi, just tends to burn valves... been told not to put any more power through it than stock. A guy on yhe foruma had one in his wifes car, and it just kept burning valves.
Doesn't help that it's an import motor (I think. Apparently the aus ones were carbd) so parts are rediculous