PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Odyssey transmission

Purple
29-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Haven't had this vehicle for long and it's my first auto transmission vehicle. It has around 350,000 K's on the clock but drives well.
I had to replace the sump gasket so I drove into town and back, about 14Klms total, then parked it on the ramps.
An hour or so later I got under it to start the job and noticed the transmission was still hot enough that I could only hold my hand on the underside of the transmission for a few seconds.
Is this normal ?

ECU-MAN
29-10-2013, 07:53 AM
yes

If you understood how the torque converter worked you would understand why it gets hot. Was it 14kms of start stop or constant cursing? The torque converter is a hydraulic coupler, so the power generated from the engine heats the trans fluid. Ensure you have clean fluid in your trans at that age, use the OEM fluid as well.

Purple
29-10-2013, 08:07 AM
yes

If you understood how the torque converter worked you would understand why it gets hot. Was it 14kms of start stop or constant cursing? The torque converter is a hydraulic coupler, so the power generated from the engine heats the trans fluid. Ensure you have clean fluid in your trans at that age, use the OEM fluid as well.

Mostly constant 60 Klm/h and thanks for your answer. I'm glad to hear that's normal.
Can I change the fluid myself by just draining and refilling the same quantity (and dipstick testing of course) or does it need to be pumped through ?

ECU-MAN
29-10-2013, 12:13 PM
a simple drain and refill will be fine

its important to get the level correct based on fluid temp

Purple
29-10-2013, 03:51 PM
a simple drain and refill will be fine

its important to get the level correct based on fluid temp

Thanks