PDA

View Full Version : clutch???

ah789454
05-01-2004, 04:43 PM
what clutch should i get, OEM, semi racing or full racing??

what are the pros and cons of the different types.

joneblaze
05-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Sorry, what does "semi racing" and "full racing" mean? Sounds like a vague description out of Gran Turismo......
Wouldn't fitting a "full racing" style clutch to your daily driver mean you'd have to buy a new prosthetic left leg in a few months? lol... it'd be hardcore...
I don't think you've really listed your reasons and aims for buying a new clutch either. Maybe if you told everyone what you wanted it for they could help you with selecting. Set some criteria. Or just stick to OEM. :)

XXpl0Sive
05-01-2004, 05:06 PM
LOL..full racing semi racing...GT3

If you get a puck clutch it will have bad effects on your drivetrain, because of the increased 'shock'. It would be ideal if you constantly launch your car hard (drag). And if you get it, it will take you a while to get used to...you'll look like my monkey (avatar) everytime you launch..

If you're doing performance mods, better get a heavy duty one..because your OEM will die quickly

ah789454
05-01-2004, 05:11 PM
funny semi racing , full racing. i actually thought they were real. but ur right i did get it from GT. mostly the car is driven normally on weekday and on the weekend it gets a thrashing.

joneblaze
05-01-2004, 05:14 PM
funny semi racing , full racing. i actually thought they were real. but ur right i did get it from GT. mostly the car is driven normally on weekday and on the weekend it gets a thrashing.

lmfao... i believe the TERMS are real, but you're going to have to be more specific to get any sort of decent advice.

OEM is for you, like it is for me. Unless you research more. :roll:

bennjamin
05-01-2004, 05:16 PM
you guys just have no clue....*sigh*

There is a search button people...even so , there is the INTERNET.

lane-o
05-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Like everyone says, get the right clutch for what you intend on using it for. If you want to take it out for a bit of racing or something, but drive it everyday, just get a heavy duty one. No need for the extra cash. I got a EK4 Vti-R and the clutch won't hold a medium launch on 16' rims with 205 rubber :x ....I have a single plate H/D coming since i am planning for some light track work. :D

jenova
06-01-2004, 09:48 AM
it is very hard to drive on street with a heavy duty clutch, they are like an on/off button, which i think it is quite dangerous especially during parking......

have u considered a type r clutch, they are pretty good for oem parts.

Weq
06-01-2004, 05:47 PM
its called a sprung (progressive engagement) VS unsprung (on/off) clutch... take a look around at some sprung heavy duty clutches.. EXEDY, ACT, SPEC all make great civic clutchs.. Have a look at importing one urself and save some money, cuase most of the 'aussie' brands, ie daiken are just rebadged (and marked up) american clutchs.

That said you should judge a clutch by the amount of clamping pressure and the amount of touque you are outputting.

LatinoHatchCrap
06-01-2004, 06:01 PM
you need to be more specific than that man...theres no such thing as a racing or full racing clutch...dayum!! people here dissapoint me sometimes :x

XXpl0Sive
06-01-2004, 06:30 PM
you need to be more specific than that man...theres no such thing as a racing or full racing clutch...dayum!! people here dissapoint me sometimes :xThat's OK, next we'll start seeing people wanting to install Stage 4 Turbos and Racing Kit Modifys

lane-o
06-01-2004, 06:30 PM
i have a Dakin Heavy duty single plate clutch, it just has an increased clamping pressure without the hard pedal effort. That cost me $290 for the kit.....pretty good price i think! ;)

Civic Type R
07-01-2004, 12:29 PM
ah789454
hey, dude how old are you out of interest ?

Weq
07-01-2004, 11:29 PM
lane-o, how much torque is it rated at?

Setanta
07-01-2004, 11:34 PM
ah789454: The Dakin HD SP seems to be the way to go from what I've read, and the price is usually comperable to OEM. BTW - in all my years of car modding, I've NEVER hear of the terms you used :P

Weq: You drive a Honda and want to know about torque :P:P:P

lane-o
14-01-2004, 09:31 AM
i'm not too sure of the torque rating sorry mate.....