PDA

View Full Version : Turbo timer / vtev timer

thanh
02-04-2005, 04:00 AM
My sister has a honda civic and she wants to install a turbo timer/vtec timer to cool the car down abit.

Which brand and model should i go for?

Your opinion

Thanx

jimmeh
02-04-2005, 07:34 AM
tell her not to waste her money

57UDD
02-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Why would she wanna install a timer in, unless she's got modz done to her engine. My friend has a 93 teg vtir, and his engine is fully modded, whatever you can do he's done it (i think anyway). His car is NA and i wouldn't mind doing over his car for his parts. Kills most turbo cars, stock and boosted. The last thing he did was put in a timer, cuz he thrashes his teg so much. Other than that dont see a point in puttin it in for a stock Honda Civic.

Q_ball
02-04-2005, 10:00 AM
yeh, agree with the rest...
only get one if the engines moded, otherwise spend ya money elsewhere
=)

Dr4g0n
02-04-2005, 04:39 PM
even i don't have a turbo timer on my boosted d16... big waste of money. how hard is it to sit in the car for 10secs or less than a minute to wait for when you can turn it off?? :p

J-MuN
06-04-2005, 03:10 AM
its the rice factor i'm guessing?... and if u can get one cheap, why not ay?.. hehe

panda[cRx]
06-04-2005, 06:50 AM
ahhahahahah to 'cool the car down a bit' whats her last name? alonso? sato? shumacher?

z3lda
06-04-2005, 11:19 AM
her last name is nguyen-macher LOL

Chi
06-04-2005, 11:30 AM
She dun need a timer, jsut tell her to sit in teh car for min or so and let the engine run.

Then turn it off if shes worried about it.

J-MuN
06-04-2005, 11:59 AM
wtf?...Chi giving a serious answer!?? :confused: :p

dundas
06-04-2005, 01:25 PM
omg first chi ur avatar LMAO 1up LOL
ok.. it seems to me that either lack of knowledge, or an idea i have thought of :D RICE mmm good for u and makes u look good ;)

Ok save da $$$ get a sick zorst system, ECU, Intake, and make da car look really PREtTY

|N|
06-04-2005, 01:27 PM
waste of $$ la.. but if for bling factor.. i like the apexi pen style... they goin for around $140

CONAN
06-04-2005, 01:50 PM
i reckon theres nothing wrong with puttin in a turbo timer
itll do you good letting your engine cool down

i mean, you dont wanna turn off your engine right away after youve just given it a bit. especially when u feel ur engine beeing really hot

i usually leave my bonnet up so the heat diperses into air after a few runs.

thinking of putting in a cheap turbo timer myself

panda[cRx]
06-04-2005, 02:05 PM
man i think you sig explains your answer nissan boy :p

Mr. Focus
06-04-2005, 02:08 PM
man, do what you want. you did come on here askin which one would be best, not should she get one right! run down to autobarn etc. and ask them. i personally would get any apexi one, but then again...its all about the $$$ too

good luck mate and i hope i helped out!

Perry
06-04-2005, 02:54 PM
first have u got a alarm on the car at the moment, if u do u got to make sure the alarm will be compatible with the NA or turbo timer.

I can see why u want a timer sumtimes is convineant having it eg warming the car in the morning without worry about people jumping into ur car and drving off, and like u say u can leave it on for the car to cool down.

i would recommended u to buy the apexi NA/turbo timer the pen style

panda[cRx]
06-04-2005, 03:38 PM
turbo timer might void your insurance so be careful.

ahcash
07-04-2005, 08:08 AM
man, do what you want. you did come on here askin which one would be best, not should she get one right! run down to autobarn etc. and ask them. i personally would get any apexi one, but then again...its all about the $$$ too

good luck mate and i hope i helped out!

:thumbsup: At least you answered his question spot on !!!

JDM.Power
07-04-2005, 08:18 AM
:thumbsup: At least you answered his question spot on !!!

yeah what he said

LAGOOT
07-04-2005, 10:23 AM
its the rice factor i'm guessing?... and if u can get one cheap, why not ay?.. hehe and also if you get given one as a present :p

kez13
07-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Is her civic got any mods???? Personally I wouldn't waste my money....if shes that concerned about it, tell her to take it easy when she's coming home to park the car, that gives the engine a little bit of "cooling down" before she turns it off.
:)

Macros
07-04-2005, 01:43 PM
If it's not turbo'd then you don't need a timer! They do nothing.

Want to know the best way to cool your engine? Turn it off.

Steer^Gimic
07-04-2005, 01:45 PM
as kez said. cool down b4 you turn off or sit in your car for a few seconds.
i normally gather all my shit and open/close the garage while im waiting. turning car off is the last thing i do. gives it a bit of a cool down. but hey, if its a gift or really really cheap...why not?

garett
07-04-2005, 07:28 PM
dont need it

garett
07-04-2005, 07:28 PM
unless of course you bounce it off the limiter as you enter the driveway

SiR JDM
07-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Guys he was asking a specific question, not for your advice on if he should get it or not.

For some people its a waste of money, same as for others alteezas, chromes, neons etc etc are a waste too others, yet people still get them.

I wouldn't mind gettin one, it will help cool the car down, especially if you been ripping it around a fair bit before you stop (like if your in a rush to get somewhere, u dont wanna sit in the car for 1/2 a minute waitin for it to cool down cuz obviously ur in a rush!) plus you can loosely monitor ur A/F Ratio and Volt at the same time with the apexi pen style.

Id grab that, way better value for money IMO than a set of chromies or something.. :thumbsup:

Macros
08-04-2005, 08:29 AM
I wouldn't mind gettin one, it will help cool the car down, especially if you been ripping it around a fair bit before you stop (like if your in a rush to get somewhere, u dont wanna sit in the car for 1/2 a minute waitin for it to cool down cuz obviously ur in a rush!)

No it doesn't. If you want to cool your engine then turn your car off. Timers are there so that the turbo has plenty of oil. They're Turbo timers not engine timers.

robstar
08-04-2005, 09:03 AM
VTEC TIMER LOLPIEZ you guys are crazy

WPN.22R
08-04-2005, 09:15 AM
blitz ones are goin cheap these days arent they? just the basic ones with minimal feats.

i drive a turbo car right.. the logical thing to do is to take it easy on your way (close to) home, and what better way to cool your engine whilst driving and letting the air rush through? instead of sitting still and cooling your engine while your thermos blow the heat all round the engine bay:confused:

but having a turbo engine i still leave my timer on for 30secs after light driving.