PDA

View Full Version : Changing from green coolant to red?

UNA91
12-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Yes I know not to mix them as it'll turn into sludge yada yada, but I recently got a new aluminum radiator and the car previously used green coolant and want to change to red or Honda blue because it's silicate free.

In terms of doing good full flush out of the old coolant, would doing the flush with distilled water and letting it cycle with the engine running until clear water comes out sufficient to clear out the coolant left behind in the block?

mocchi
12-11-2013, 09:04 PM
wow

strong revelation. thanks.

cbauto
12-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Yes I know not to mix them as it'll turn into sludge yada yada, but I recently got a new aluminum radiator and the car previously used green coolant and want to change to red or Honda blue because it's silicate free.

In terms of doing good full flush out of the old coolant, would doing the flush with distilled water and letting it cycle with the engine running until clear water comes out sufficient to clear out the coolant left behind in the block?
does the motor have a block drain bolt?

flush with tap water, cycle it.

drain from bolt.

just use tap water to flush unless you're made of money.

once you drain the block, will only be traces left.

UNA91
12-11-2013, 10:43 PM
I can't seem to find any info of a block drain bolt, apparently such drain bolt is not even stated in the service manual; also heard it's located in such a place that is only accessible when the tranny is out?

As for tap water, i guess i'll use that lol most of the info is from the US, so idk what their water is like

cbauto
13-11-2013, 06:07 AM
What motor?

markismaximus
13-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Most D/B series I have seen have the coolant drainage plug located on the front of the block to the left of the exhaust manifold. IMO it's not worth the effort to remove this just to drain... I did it once, and vowed never again after all the hassle.... Not sure where K-series is located if you have EP3 as per your sig.

Just flush with plenty of distilled water. FYI you can buy distilled water from Coles.

5L for about $3. So $20 would easily completely flush the system. It's down the ironing isle.

cbauto
13-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Its easy with aftermarket headers.

Lots of room.

Same as changing oil with the sump bolt.

Undo, replace crush washer, redo.

UNA91
13-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Its a jdm K20a. Guess i'll just flush the hell out of it, maybe use one of those radiator flush additives if they do anything...

infurNOS
05-12-2013, 05:53 PM
How do you do the cycle flush with the water? Do you remove say the top radiator hose and leave the car running while putting tap water in the radiator until just clear water comes out of the block where the top radiator hose is suppose to connect to?

stndrd
05-12-2013, 06:50 PM
You will need to use a pH neutraliser if you are going to change coolant types. Drain the system completely, fill with water and the pH neutraliser then run for 20mins and drain again. After this, fill with the coolant of your choice and bleed system accordingly.

The block drain bolt on K series is on the bottom of the water pump, above the A/C compressor