PDA

View Full Version : Nooby question/ stupid question; power estimate? + turbo lsvtec gearbox and schtuff

Drifter995
17-11-2013, 09:13 AM
So, I'm looking at building an lsvtec b18b1 with a b16a head on it, doing something to the bottom end, so it revs higher/ deals with boost. Probably forged stroker kit, maybe?
Then going to chuck a small turbo on it. Maybe a bigger cam, some other things.

This'll be my first actual build, and have no idea about lsvtec haha.
It's going in my first gen civic.
Curious about the power that would put out, mainly so I have a rough idea, and so I know whether to aim higher or lower. If it'll make at least 200hp, I'd be more than happy.

Also, two more questions;
-What would be the best gearbox to run with the turbo'd lsvtec setup? The motor I'm getting is a b18b1 from a dc4 if memory serves.
Will be chucking an lsd in it, but want something that won't shatter on me.

-What are some good part recommendations for an lsvtec build/ the turbo build? I'll be getting the kit from ebay or wherever that gives me the headgasket and what not.
Aside from ecu. Like, bigger injectors? Forged pistons/ a stroker kit for the higher revs? (can't remember exactly what I needed to get the bottom end to be able to deal with the higher revving of the vtec, but yeah)

Decided to swap plans from er-t to this. Heard too many bad things about the er-t from a friend who had one in his wifes first gen.

connorling
20-11-2013, 09:31 AM
no idea what you are trying to achieve here.

to make 200hp, all u need is b18c swap.

if you say 200hp AT THE WHEEL, then u dont need bigger cams and stroker kit.
a simply turbo bolt on, a T3/T04e with 8 psi will get the job done.

Mfactory will sell you a gear set for ur box, but at 200hp at the wheel, ur gearbox wont go bang.

stroker kit does not increase ur revs.

in order to have a good turbo set up, u need good ecu, tune, thicker head gasket, low compression piston, forged con rod.
ur crank is strong enough to hold 200 fwhp.

to go thru all these trouble to do b18b/b16a swap, why not just go for b18c2 swap from integra DC2 VtiR?

it willend up cheaper than finding someone to do that LS vtec conversion.

Drifter995
20-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Got the b16a head already lined up, and have a b18b engine lined up as well/ a friend has one in his shed he wants to sell.

But yeah, power isn't so much the objective, the build itself is. was just curious how much power I'd be looking at to get it done.

going to be building it all myself, well hopefully.
Wanted to do a frank setup for some reason, and then this idea popped up, and yeah. After researching the lsvtec option a little bit, it's become apparent/ I was told the bottom end being nontec wouldn't be able to handle the higher revs of the vtec, so that's what I meant by making the bottom end handle the revs better, if that makes sense. sorry, poor wording.

And yeah, 200hp isn't much.. was just making sure I didn't chuck the b18b box on there, and it explodes or something and find out they are made of glass (not literally)

Yeah, know about the ecu, tune, thicker headgasket and all the compression related bits and bobs, Although when it comes to mixing the two together, how would that work out? by which I mean the higher compression from the frank setup, and the turbo setup?
I don't know why, I just feel like doing the frank setup.

As for the trouble, as I said, already got the bits lined up/ it will be much cheaper getting these ones, instead of hunting down a b18c2, paying the billions for that, then doing the same work anyway. I mean, yes it's more work, and probably more money in the long run, but It's just something different. Call me crazy, but I like doing things like this, haha. There's already a b16 turbo first gen, pre-sure nobody has done a frank or lsvtec setup in one, let alone frank/ lsvtec turbo. Just wanted to have something unique to go in the car that will also be fairly unique :D
Completely crazy

Still, doing it myself, so shouldn't be more expensive. In theory

edit: should clarify that the objective is to get the lsvtec with the bottom end able to handle vtec revs for dem vtak 8k revs. and then handle the turbo. All dumped in an 800~kg car :D

Daveho1
21-11-2013, 04:35 AM
sounds like the automotive equivalent of pissing into a fan..

Drifter995
21-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Eh, probably

cbauto
21-11-2013, 10:46 AM
So, what's your question?

connorling
21-11-2013, 11:16 AM
u need to lighten and balance the crank in that case to take the extra rev...

but try to lower the compression for the safety factor since u r planning to run turbo

RenzokukenJ
21-11-2013, 12:15 PM
i am think this kind of engine is like chinese, can making 10000kw at wheel.

i am see some like this one before, in china, rev over 90000RPMs very quick. Like \ BOM / is like 1 second

making sure pls, running all fluids at top level

Drifter995
21-11-2013, 06:16 PM
u need to lighten and balance the crank in that case to take the extra rev...

but try to lower the compression for the safety factor since u r planning to run turbo

Ah cool, cheers
Yeah true. Higher compression with the smaller head to only lower compression for turbo kinda defeats the purpose, hey... But still.