PDA

View Full Version : mugen replica hard tops

philipminge
19-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi guys,

there is a bloke that does mugen replica hard tops in Melbourne - dandenong i believe.

i use to have his contact details but i cant find them

does anyone know of him??

cheers

Phil

mountfranklin
19-11-2013, 02:29 PM
are you talking about carbon plus?

philipminge
19-11-2013, 02:48 PM
yeh sure am.
just found the old email

these hardtops look really nice!! nice shape and nice finish.
issue is these are made in China - although that is ok if the quality is good, its just a REALLY expensive hardtop for a chinese top.
please correct me if im wrong!!!

something like forbidden, made in USA is 1k cheaper - shipped!

does this make sense??

any input welcome!!!

philipminge
19-11-2013, 02:51 PM
also i think these are fiberglass with a carbon layer on the outside.
the Forbidden tops have a FULL carbon option, inside and out.

they look good though just super expensive.

mountfranklin
19-11-2013, 02:58 PM
lol why dont you just give carbon plus a call? and find out yourself if its really carbon fibre or not then making assumptions about them.

they are on facebook aswell you can look them up easily.

philipminge
19-11-2013, 03:10 PM
I have spoken to them already and looked at their hard tops. I really like them. I was merely trying to get opinions on what others think. They look like a nice top... Just want to hear what others think.

Not ratting out on their tops. Not at all.

thebob
19-11-2013, 04:04 PM
I think regardless you are going to be paying a fair amount for a hardtop. Do yourself and the industry and favour and buy genuine. The fit quality is perfect with out mods, pulling, pushing etc. Also in 3 years time when you sell up, its still worth money. With copy tops, 50% fit good, 50% don't. Look at the BYP in car footage of there replica top lifting down the main straight at EC, where as the top fuel car going much faster doesn't lift. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for.

stndrd
19-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Being an authorised dealer for Carbon Plus, I have seen one of these fitted first hand & the fitment is top notch. Carbon Plus prides their fitment and quality of work, so if there are fitment issues, you have 72 hours to let them know and they will rectify the problem

greek_rambos2k
19-11-2013, 05:08 PM
i know the owner of the blue s2k it was fitted to. the roof leaks a little and its not as simple as the real mugen one to put on. you have to use 4 bolts and nuts each side to remove it.

Giraffe
19-11-2013, 10:03 PM
if i was you, i would purchase a genuine mugen hardtop in FRP for the similar price as the CF one made in china from carbon plus.
Do it once, do it right they say.
But thats just my personal opinion

philipminge
20-11-2013, 09:36 AM
im pretty sure that the leak is caused by the type of rubber seals used??

if you use genuine hardware should be much better.

yeh your prob right, genuine mugen is prob a better option.

stndrd
20-11-2013, 11:09 AM
The car in question that has the leak had the prototype fitted to it, so please bear this in mind

VTI-RRR
20-11-2013, 03:21 PM
My car only leaked due to me not fitting the rubber seals right I cut them to short hence why it leaks from the side, silly mistake from my self but I then fitted my friends one and doesnt leak from there. Philip is going to come past and check mine out

VTI-RRR
20-11-2013, 03:24 PM
And its 3 bolts on each side you can use your factory soft top latches like what I did to make it easier to remove I think you can buy aftermarket rear mounting kits now that have latches just like the oem hardtops

thanhphong1109
22-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Hey Phill here is the link from ebay that I told you : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-S2000-Carbon-Fiber-Hardtop-Roof-MU-style-/300951602046?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46121d037e&_uhb=1

About 2.5k and hardware will cost you about 3-400 from s2ki, Still better than CarbonPlus deal

Or Call this guy 0478499777 (In NSW)

I think the top is real deal from Mugen and cost you 4.5k (Carbon version)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/liverpool/other-automotive/jdm-honda-s2000-parts-/1032098326

thebob
23-11-2013, 05:01 AM
If that is a real deal mugen CF hardtop ( it looks like it has the small cut outs just behind the window) then its the deal of the decade. Half price for a CF top.

thanhphong1109
23-11-2013, 09:27 AM
OR you can call the guys from BYP racing... LOL they have the 1st s2k in Aus that come with k24 engine haha...

they are selling the CF Mugen hardtop rep with hardware kit for 2750-3000 ( This one is track proven)

Ask for Benny Tran.

flop101
23-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Hey Phill here is the link from ebay that I told you : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-S2000-Carbon-Fiber-Hardtop-Roof-MU-style-/300951602046?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46121d037e&_uhb=1

About 2.5k and hardware will cost you about 3-400 from s2ki, Still better than CarbonPlus deal

Or Call this guy 0478499777 (In NSW)

I think the top is real deal from Mugen and cost you 4.5k (Carbon version)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/liverpool/other-automotive/jdm-honda-s2000-parts-/1032098326

That top is not real deal mugen. The seller is full of shit. Its a Seibon Mugen replica. All of his items are replicas and the scum bag is trying to pawn them off as original.

thebob
23-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Track proven? The centre bit over the windscreen starts lifting when they are going down the straight. I would hardly call that proven.

thanhphong1109
23-11-2013, 07:21 PM
sorry guys, for me that is good enough ( best bang for the money), otherwise go and buy a real Mugen hardtop and never complain about the noise etc....

The topic is about Mugen replica top... so think about it, 3k and you can get the top that come with hardware and still " Ok for track" not to mention the BYP s2k was supercharged at that time while Phillip is building NA s2k Lol.. Compare to carbon plus hardtop, they will charge u about 3.8k.

For me $800 can do lots of things.

Sorry for saying the BYP is track proven as I miss this year wtac

stndrd
25-11-2013, 02:48 AM
even tho we are talking replica's, you still need to think about quality and fitment. If you have one without the other, what was the point investing so much money to begin with. If you haven't seen carbon plus products in person, i would recommend you do and will understand why they (as a business) are expanding so quickly. Also talking "track proven", there were a few teams running carbon plus products at wtac this year and didnt have a single issue, unlike a particular roof that looked like it could have come off down the main straight at ec

-MuGen PoWer-
25-11-2013, 08:12 AM
I think regardless you are going to be paying a fair amount for a hardtop. Do yourself and the industry and favour and buy genuine. The fit quality is perfect with out mods, pulling, pushing etc. Also in 3 years time when you sell up, its still worth money. With copy tops, 50% fit good, 50% don't. Look at the BYP in car footage of there replica top lifting down the main straight at EC, where as the top fuel car going much faster doesn't lift. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for.

WOW!! too bad it didnt fly off at WTAC. Would have shown everyone how dodgy they are haha

Wouldnt be the first time things have fallen off their cars at a trackday. Lexen and splitters use to fly off their cars at wakefield almost every outing.

VTI-RRR
26-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Philip came mine over the weekend to have a look at the (carbonplus) hardtop I have fitted on my car and was really impressed by the fitmwnt and the quality of the carbon fiber and the strenth of the hardtop ill let him tell use all about it if he wants to.

philipminge
26-11-2013, 02:45 PM
hey guys, just to update - Dean was kind enough to invite me over on sunday to check out his hardtop and look at fitment/quality etc.

initial look: the top looked fantastic. it was super clean, no imperfections in the resin and or carbon and the fitment looked almost perfect!

Closer look: the leak on the drivers side is caused by the rubber being cut about 20mm too short... so there is a hole. lol not carbon plus' fault. good on ya dean! lol

Do i want one - YES

would i pay 3450 for one - i would struggle to come to terms with what i just spent!

i found the sides of the top were super strong. really nicely done. but the very top of the roof had quite a bit of flex in it.

http://s6.postimg.org/6xmg4coe9/2013_11_26_15_36_48.png

soft meaning Lots of flex. i have other small ideas. keep you all up to date.

just a show of hands... how many people like/would consider a hard top if product/price was mint??

dean thanks man. your hardtop is super nice and im still considering it hard. cheers bloke!

philipminge
26-11-2013, 02:45 PM
p.s. i cant draw! give me a break!

VTI-RRR
26-11-2013, 03:25 PM
hahah yeah my bad on cutting it short :/ was just in a rush to get it on the car hahah.
and no problem man any time :)
if anyone else is looking at getting a carbonplus hardtop but wants to se one in person your more then wlecome to ask me. and no i dont work for them or have anything to do with them just a happy customer

stndrd
26-11-2013, 04:09 PM
I am happy to organise a group buy while the owner of Carbon Plus is overseas if people are interested

philipminge
26-11-2013, 04:12 PM
na wasnt talking about a group buy - lol was just wondering who was interested in a carbon top. genuine interest?

EKVTIR-T
26-11-2013, 04:23 PM
i think philip consider to make a run of them

could be cool

philipminge
26-11-2013, 04:25 PM
no comment! lol

Giraffe
26-11-2013, 06:52 PM
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1057445-prepreg-dry-cf-oem-roof/

one of the s2ki guys got someone in SA to make a cf version of the oem roof.

philipminge
27-11-2013, 07:55 AM
anyone not happy with their Mugen replica and why??? whatever brand it may be!

Speak up!!!!

or PM me

Todxxx
14-04-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm currently looking at hardtops and basically got it down to carbon plus cf version or a genuine Mugen Frp one.
My first choice is the genuine Mugen one obviously but the carbon plus one does have it's advantages too.
1. Weight. The cf one is lighter and in the future when the car becomes less street driven and more race specific every kilogram counts. Also taking on off will be easier if it's lighter.
2. The main reason I want the Mugen is for the perfect fitment and the easiness to install/take off and on etc but if the carbon plus version fits just as well/just as easily why not buy it?
3. Price is also a factor. While I don't mind paying for a genuine Mugen hardtop again if the carbon plus does all that the Mugen one does then the carbon plus hardtop now has two benefits over the Mugen one.
4. Accessibility and support. Carbon plus is an Aussie company so if anything goes wrong they're there to help
5. Quality. Although both will be painted I still want excellent quality not only in the cf but with strength too

Basically by reading this post you can gather that I've kind of decided on the carbon plus hardtop but feel free to post opinions on both please

Cartoon
15-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Do you know how the carbon plus one is made? What materials are in it, how man layers of carbon etc

Lots of manufacturing factors to consider when purchasing carbon.

Todxxx
21-04-2014, 03:55 AM
Hey
It's fiberglass infused so muffle later is fiberglass then both out layers are carbon.
Doesn't matter anyway as I decided to go genuine mugen

philipminge
29-04-2014, 01:55 PM
i saw some of carbon plus's work - i.e. carbon doors etc. they are very impressive. i believe they have come a long way.

i have just ordered a CF hardtop. ill give her a shot!!!

Cartoon
29-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Surprised they use fibreglass in the core. There are much better products.

What resin do they use?

philipminge
30-04-2014, 02:24 PM
yeh man there is always better. just depends what you want to spend bro.
worth trying atleast.

also you sell password JDM stuff.... i have an intake and its pretty good. love their intake (fitment is a bit iffy but with a bit of force it works)

their gas bonnet struts...... shocking! they are coated metal brackets and the ball wears paint in first 5min... then rusts. stainless is the way to go i guess... and when bonnet was closed it touched my guards... was a nightmare... went in the bin.
point of the story.... there is always better, but your get what you pay for.

my PW JDM intake was like 1200 but its worth every cent! love it.
the gas struts... they are another story.
but like spoon struts are 3x the price. lol

these hard tops may be a budget top but i believe they are pretty decent now. wouldnt it be epoxy resin?
for 3k fitted... maybe its worth it. a mugen is like 6.5k... ouch...