PDA

View Full Version : Honda Accord Euro 2009 stalling at startup

HondaAccordEuro
20-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi all,

I'm glad to be a new member of this forum. A few days ago I purchased a 2009 Honda Accord Euro with 65000km on the clock. Automatic. Pristine condition.

Prior to me picking the car up from the previous owner, the car was not started for a week. I drove away a few kilometers to my place and switched the car off. Wanted to start it again, but no luck. The battery was too weak. It was as old as the car. I had to replace the battery.

After replacing the battery, I have noticed that the car sometimes stalls at startup. The engine revs up and then just stalls. Turn the key again, no problems. It only happens sometimes.

Any idea why this could be the case? How to fix the problem? Would resetting the computer help?

Thanks

Milo

fillit
27-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Hi all,

I'm glad to be a new member of this forum. A few days ago I purchased a 2009 Honda Accord Euro with 65000km on the clock. Automatic. Pristine condition.

Prior to me picking the car up from the previous owner, the car was not started for a week. I drove away a few kilometers to my place and switched the car off. Wanted to start it again, but no luck. The battery was too weak. It was as old as the car. I had to replace the battery.

After replacing the battery, I have noticed that the car sometimes stalls at startup. The engine revs up and then just stalls. Turn the key again, no problems. It only happens sometimes.

Any idea why this could be the case? How to fix the problem? Would resetting the computer help?

Thanks

Milo

Changing the battery would have more or less reset the ECU.

Starter motor might be faulty or there is a bad ground...

Recheck the wiring and take it to a battery shop so they can hook the machine on to see if the voltage is correct.

HondaAccordEuro
10-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Hi all,

Problem solved. It was the key battery. Took the car to Honda to reprogram the ECU to solve the pinging problem and mentioned the intermittent stalling problem. They couldn't find anything wrong and suggested that I try the spare key. The spare key was never used and the battery in it was dead. Took the battery from old key and put it into the new key. Same problem. Decided to change the batteries in both keys. No more problems.

Thanks

Euro_CU2
23-03-2014, 08:15 PM
I have only recently experienced the same issue, i might try the other key or another battery. Thanks for this guys.

brokenback
26-03-2014, 11:39 AM
I just replaced both my key batteries with new CR1616 Lithium.
Vehicle is 2010 yet the spare unused key battery failed. It still measured 3.0V which, is plenty, but no workie. I hooked up a variable PSU @3v and tested the remote ...worked ok but not on battery which is real odd! Usually Lithium battery voltage is a good indication of the capacity left in the battery but in this case...not! Replacing the battery fixed the issue.

edit:
Even with bad key fob battery I could use the key to open and start the vehicle though.