PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing question?

mysterious_7
25-11-2013, 12:19 AM
Hey guys,

My ES1 2005 7th gen Civic GLi Sedan 5MT needs the passenger side rear wheel bearing replaced.

What's the best aftermarket wheel bearing brand or should I just stick with the OEM from the dealer?

The car only has around 125,000km I don't know if I should be surprised that the OEM bearing went bad that early? I've owned Japanese cars before where the OEM wheel bearing lasted past 200,000km :(

I know that 125,000km is a lot of kilometres, so it'd be good if someone can clarify if that's a normal age for wheel bearings?

Thanks

mysterious_7
25-11-2013, 12:27 AM
I was thinking to just stick with any Japanese aftermarket bearing, something like HKS may be?

Also, from what I understand, wheel bearings life is not really affected by the way you drive your car, let's say if you thrash vs babying it the wheel bearing life shouldn't be affected. I heard though that if a car has done heaps of highway kilometres, then most likely the bearing will go off earlier than if you did the same kilometres driving at low speeds in city traffic, is that correct?

thanks for the help guys

Thomka
29-11-2013, 01:42 AM
Hi,
"I heard though that if a car has done heaps of highway kilometres, then most likely the bearing will go off earlier than if you did the same kilometres driving at low speeds in city traffic, is that correct?"
Yes, this is very correct.

My favourite wheel bearing the SKF. I don't know cheap or expensive in Aussie, but 100% good quality. :)

3K9
29-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Hi,
"I heard though that if a car has done heaps of highway kilometres, then most likely the bearing will go off earlier than if you did the same kilometres driving at low speeds in city traffic, is that correct?"
)

Thomka, why is that so?

Thanks

Thomka
29-11-2013, 03:37 AM
First: My English is not so good so sorry. I have been learning English.....
What do you think? What is the easier for the wheel bearings?
1. Works 1000km with 130km/h
2. Works in city with 60km/h and always has to stop and work.

In the city the wheel bearing wont be rotated so fast. The wheel bearing is sensitive for this. But I know it makes from special steel.....
But the highway traffic is good for the engine, tires, clutch and running gear.

mysterious_7
05-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Hi,

My favourite wheel bearing the SKF. I don't know cheap or expensive in Aussie, but 100% good quality. :)

Yeah I heard about SKF, apparently they are really good, they make the OEM wheel bearing of most European car manufacturers, I know for a fact that Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche and Volvo all use SKF for the OEM factory wheel bearings.

Surely they can be acquired some where here is Aus, I'll ask around

Thanks

Thomka
05-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Your welcome.

I know for a fact that Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche and Volvo all use SKF for the OEM factory wheel bearings.

And Land Rover Discovery 1 series. I love my Disco 1. :D:D European Disco 1 old cult cars with big petrol engine.

fitme
18-12-2013, 11:52 AM
My 09 civic fd rear left hub bearing only lasted 75k kms..
hub assembly cost me $170 oem....

mocchi
18-12-2013, 12:27 PM
My 09 civic fd rear left hub bearing only lasted 75k kms..
hub assembly cost me $170 oem....

too much stanswok m8

markismaximus
18-12-2013, 01:03 PM
most OEM Honda bearings I have seen are either NTN or Koyo, both being made in Japan.

In most cases you can buy the same bearing from a bearing supplier at significantly less than what Honda sells them for.

I'm in the process of replacing some DA Integra wheel bearings and used Koyo bearings ($70/side from Statewidebearings). These were the same bearings that were in there.

Do you plan on pressing the bearings out yourself, or paying a shop to do it? If you are paying a shop to do it you might not get a choice of wheel bearing, they will just use whatever their supplier sells.

EK101
25-02-2014, 02:31 AM
thread revival!!

where is a good spot to find part numbers? Did a search and came ups craps

just bought a 98 EK SOHC that needs new front wheel bearings and have found a heap on ebay for both bearing only and full hub assembly but don't know which one to buy..

Help a Honda Noob out?

Cheers,

David

chez00
25-02-2014, 07:07 AM
EK101 - According to my listings (I take no responsibility if it is wrong!)

Honda part number: 44300-S04-004
NTN part number: AU08116LXLL588

They are the same part both sides. This is the bearing only. Try statewide/gardners/CBC.

You'll need someone with a press and bearing separator etc to do the installation.

EK101
25-02-2014, 12:15 PM
EK101 - According to my listings (I take no responsibility if it is wrong!)

Honda part number: 44300-S04-004
NTN part number: AU08116LXLL588

They are the same part both sides. This is the bearing only. Try statewide/gardners/CBC.

You'll need someone with a press and bearing separator etc to do the installation.

Thanks for that!

Found an awesome write up in a DIY thread so I'll be pulling it down and taking it to a shop with a press to save on labor costs :)

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=194037