PDA

View Full Version : Mounting thermo fan on front of radiator

crobaa
25-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Hi guys, looking to mount my new thermo fan on my radiator today, it's common practice with other car makes to mount the fan on the front of the rad and reverse the polarity of the fan so it pushes air through the rad as opposed to sucking it from the back. Id like to mount it on the front to tidy up my bay and can't see any reason why not. Am I missing something?

u mad?
25-11-2013, 10:21 AM
don't they work more efficiently sucking it through? Not to mention then its unobstructed airflow from the front?

crobaa
25-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Plenty of cars run it without a problem. I think for most people it's because the ac condenser is in the way

Vvvtec
25-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Are you worried its going to hit your bisi header? Id just get a nice slim fan and mount it as a puller.

crobaa
25-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I got a slim fan already, looks nice and will clear the bisi header. Just it could a lot cleaner with the fan on the front. The new fan is a lot more powerful than stock fan too

Vvvtec
25-11-2013, 02:11 PM
It will work, will just block some airflow as u mad said, but it shouldnt cause any issues. Id personally still run a puller, just making sure the harness is hidden neatly it would look neat.

stndrd
25-11-2013, 02:13 PM
The other thing to think about as well is the angle of the fan blades for push vs pull

crobaa
25-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Blades should be ok as the fan is designed to be push or pull. I've got it pulling now but may swap it in the future, if it runs too hot I'll just swap it back, only 4 bolts

cbauto
25-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Are you asking or telling?

crobaa
25-11-2013, 05:00 PM
There's still no definitive answer, and it looks like nobody has actually tried it. Although I do appreciate the input

TbM
25-11-2013, 05:14 PM
providing you have clearance you should have it pulling. Vvvtecs car has one push one pull as we couldnt fit both on the back of the rad due clearance issues, works fine but pull is better.

crobaa
25-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Cool will leave it on the back, thanks

markismaximus
25-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I've got it pulling now but may swap it in the future, if it runs too hot I'll just swap it back, only 4 bolts

so have you got it pulling air from the back, or pushing from the front? What you said above makes no sense.

"If it runs too I'll just swap it back" to what? isn't it already on the back?

crobaa
25-11-2013, 05:46 PM
It's on the back currently. Will most likely stay there

markismaximus
25-11-2013, 05:49 PM
lame :p

I am also interested to know if mounting on the front would cause cooling issues...

crobaa
25-11-2013, 05:59 PM
If I remove my ac condenser I will put it on the front and see how it goes, it's only 4 bolts to change it back if need be. Depends what model of car too, no grill on audm dc2.

cbauto
25-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Why don't you put it in front of the condenser

crobaa
25-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Would it be efficient? Pushing through condenser + radiator. It's very powerful compared with standard fan

JayTea18
25-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Installed a 9 inch Davies craig fan yesterday on the front of condensor.
reason being, running Tri-Y Plm headers which has no clearance for a puller fan.

Also am running 12 inch davies craig fan on the drivers side.

Was running the Integra with just the 12inch fan for few months with no issues, even on a hot day. Just feels a tad better having 2 fans.

Also want to mention, im running a full size koyo radiator.

And when installing puller fan on passenger side,
There will be the a steel line shaped as a U in front which I believe leads to the power steering. Which you have to adjust to clear the new fan.

Just my 2 cents

cbauto
25-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Would it be efficient? Pushing through condenser + radiator. It's very powerful compared with standard fan

Again, are toy asking or telling?

Can't quite tell

I've been using Davies Craig in front of condenser for few years.

my engine only revs to 8500k rpm though

crobaa
25-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Generally a question mark means it's a question. You could have mentioned that you'd be using a fan in front from the start.

Is your car a audm front dc2r?
Does it have half size or full size rad?
What size fan?

I got a 12" fan, pretty much covers the entire half size rad. Think it will suffice on the front? Also taking into account mods on my new motor

Vvvtec
25-11-2013, 06:42 PM
A non spaghetti header + full size rad with 2 fans, thats more like it for your mods :p

Extremer!
25-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Josh has a point with the blades . There are some that are designed only only for push and some for pull . But in general NO , it will not cause you any problems . There are cars from factory that work either way and a lot of big turbo applications , that do not use top mount and need the extra clearance are swapped to front mount fans . Have done this in a lot of street cars , high output and high RPM cars .

To make a little more clear when you are driving your car on the high way or free roads your car is being mostly air cooled (as the fan doesn't work) but while you are driving on these conditions the fan turns a little bit , so it will not cause you any problems . These happens regardless of which side it is mounted .

cbauto
25-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Generally a question mark means it's a question. You could have mentioned that you'd be using a fan in front from the start.

What size fan?

I got a 12" fan, pretty much covers the entire half size rad. Think it will suffice on the front? Also taking into account mods on my new motor

Yes, I agree.

A question mark means its a question.
people are giving you points and idea but you just keep defending your ideology.

(its a very powerful fan)
(plenty run it without a problem)

Why ask if you already have so much information for the push configuration.

PS. Spoon leads, rep headers.

Mindblown.jpg

mocchi
25-11-2013, 07:04 PM
http://global3.memecdn.com/wat-is-happening_o_1825249.jpg

crobaa
25-11-2013, 07:10 PM
I said plenty of people run a front mounted fan without a problem, not integra specific. Funnily enough you are the only person who had the correct answer I was looking for with actual real world experience but you neglected to help out and instead just piss my off as per usual.

Also, spoon leads are about $150 additional over oem leads, genuine bisi header is known to crack and costs $1200 over the rep

cbauto
25-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Ok Billy, good luck with your build

crobaa
25-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Just stop posting in my threads unless your going to be helpful

cbauto
25-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Just stop posting in my threads unless your going to be helpful

This is a public forum for all to use and share. As long as I follow forum rules and guidelines, I have every right to post in any thread iCal wish.

Have a nice day.

cbauto
25-11-2013, 07:20 PM
When sharing with the public, you need to put up with both praise and criticism.

cbauto
27-11-2013, 03:40 PM

What size fan?

- Audm front
- full size koyo
- 12" Davies Craig header side push config.

Vvvtec
27-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Why pushing instead of pulling if its on the header side baz?

cbauto
27-11-2013, 04:15 PM
I dunno, depends on perspective.

Pushing into radiator

stndrd
27-11-2013, 04:34 PM
If it is pushing from the exhaust side, it will be taking hot air from the engine bay and pushing it into the radiator, where you should be pulling air out of the radiator into the engine bay

crobaa
27-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Who has pushing from exhaust side lol. I want pushing from the front

cbauto
27-11-2013, 05:17 PM
- Audm front
- full size koyo
- 12" Davies Craig header side push config.

I mean header side, left side of full size radiator.

Sorry for confusion.