PDA

View Full Version : high oil pressure with oil cooler

mugen_ctr
27-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Yo guys jus recently did a 15 row oil cooler in my car, pretty happy with it besides one major concern, the oil pressure side.

On warm idle normally it would sit 10 - 15 psi and normal driving id see anything from 40 to 70 psi.

But now on im seeing 30 psi on idle, and closer to 80 -90 psi when driving.

Not sure whats the go here as im running relocation kit with a oil cooler inline

Running atm 10-30w Nulon Semi oil using a ryco z79a honda oil filter

is this normal or am i missing something here?

cheers

rc_
29-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Seems ok to me, that's roughly what I get.

Your readings before the cooler install seems low, did you change the position of the sender?

Riced_Civic
29-11-2013, 11:47 AM
weired, adding a cooler would drop in pressure.

did u bump up the pressure while u were at it ?

DLO01
29-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Where is your oil pressure sensor plumbed in to???

Depends where the pressure sensor is reading from. If before cooler system it will read high. If after cooler system will read low.

You need to put a couple of washers in underneath the oil pressure relief valve. This will normalise the engine oil pressure again.

Heres a good thread:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?47308-How-to-increase-your-oil-pressure

This one too:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?66630-Review-Oil-Cooler-Max-Hondapower

mugen_ctr
29-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Much appreciate it guys

ok this is roughly my setup atm, so id say the signal im getting it off would be before it goes through the oil cooler, i wasnt aware we even had to bump up the oil pressure :S

As far as im aware, the previous oil pressure seems relative normal, considering that the signal or sender position was when the oil is going out to the filter

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/665x462q90/163/gwro.jpg

cheers guys

DLO01
29-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Yes. Your pressure sender is 'before' flowing through the cooler as the sensor is plumbed to the 'outside' of sandwich plate. Oil flows from sump via outside of sandwhich plate through your cooler, through filter relocation, then back down the middle of sandwhich place in to engine.

Have you got any ports on your Oil Filter Relocator? If so I'd move the pressure sensor to there. This will give you pressure reading after the cooler and most of the pumbing. This will give you a more accurate indication of what pressure is going 'in to' your engine.

Another way is to use the stock 'oil pressure light' port on the back of the block. This sensor just operates your oil pressure light on your dash, though probably only lights up at 5psi or less and by then you engine would be dead. You can put a Tee peice in there, put your stock sensor and you aftermarket pressure sender in there.

mugen_ctr
29-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Yes. Your pressure sender is 'before' flowing through the cooler as the sensor is plumbed to the 'outside' of sandwich plate. Oil flows from sump via outside of sandwhich plate through your cooler, through filter relocation, then back down the middle of sandwhich place in to engine.

Have you got any ports on your Oil Filter Relocator? If so I'd move the pressure sensor to there. This will give you pressure reading after the cooler and most of the pumbing. This will give you a more accurate indication of what pressure is going 'in to' your engine.

Another way is to use the stock 'oil pressure light' port on the back of the block. This sensor just operates your oil pressure light on your dash, though probably only lights up at 5psi or less and by then you engine would be dead. You can put a Tee peice in there, put your stock sensor and you aftermarket pressure sender in there.

ahhh nice nice, yeah my relocating has 2 1/8 npt ports as well as the stock oil pressure light location, so got a few options where to move it, thanks heaps will have to move it an see what the real pressure is

once again, much appreciate it, cheers :)