PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil recommendation for FN2

tom_son
29-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Hey,
Bonny auto excel recommended Elf competition FT 10W40 semi synthetic. What engine oil do you guys recommend for the fn2 as I need to do the 70k oil change soon. Where can I buy it and how much would it be?
Thanks

EKVTIR-T
29-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Any oil within the viscosity range advised in your handbook

supercheap and repco have sales often so get one on special

u mad?
29-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Any oil within the viscosity range advised in your handbook

supercheap and repco have sales often so get one on specialthis.

Just buy a good full synthetic and she'll be right

Obviously as bmwvtir-t says, as long as its in the oem viscosity range.

tom_son
06-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks heaps!

mysterious_7
06-12-2013, 11:40 AM
How hard do you drive it? If you rev it high every now and then and give it a bit of spirited driving, I'd go with a high performance fully synthetic oil like Mobil 1 0W-30 (Rare to find) or Mobil 1 5W-30 (available everywhere) or if you experience any sort of oil burning then go with Mobil 1 0W-40. All these are within the range of recommended viscosities in your manual.

I personally use Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 in my Civic, been on it for 20,000km (2 changeovers), some people tell me it's an overkill but it did make a noticeable difference. Engine runs a lot quieter, there's barely any valvetrain noise audible, engine purrs like a kitten loll, very smooth on cold starts, plus Royal Purple is only $6 more expensive than Mobil 1 so might as well...

P.s. Your car manual will state a range of recommend oil viscosities at a specific temperatures, but remember that Honda engines like most other Japanese cars, love lighter thinner oils. As long you're not burning any oil, so you can't really go wrong with something like Mobil 1 5W-30 from Autobarn or Super Cheap

moons
22-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Save your money and just use Honda FEO. Change it every 10,000km as per the manual. It's cheap and the car runs perfectly. I can't hear my engine at the lights but it sounds great at 8600RPM when I'm on the twisty stuff.

How hard do you drive it? If you rev it high every now and then and give it a bit of spirited driving, I'd go with a high performance fully synthetic oil like Mobil 1 0W-30 (Rare to find) or Mobil 1 5W-30 (available everywhere) or if you experience any sort of oil burning then go with Mobil 1 0W-40. All these are within the range of recommended viscosities in your manual.

I personally use Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 in my Civic, been on it for 20,000km (2 changeovers), some people tell me it's an overkill but it did make a noticeable difference. Engine runs a lot quieter, there's barely any valvetrain noise audible, engine purrs like a kitten loll, very smooth on cold starts, plus Royal Purple is only $6 more expensive than Mobil 1 so might as well...

P.s. Your car manual will state a range of recommend oil viscosities at a specific temperatures, but remember that Honda engines like most other Japanese cars, love lighter thinner oils. As long you're not burning any oil, so you can't really go wrong with something like Mobil 1 5W-30 from Autobarn or Super Cheap

RenzokukenJ
22-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Wow amazing insight

u mad?
22-03-2015, 08:34 PM
just recycle your oil, tip ur used oil into a pillow case, stick you oil filled l
Pillow case in the washing machine, set to 'dirty load'. Wash and collecy your rrward (brand new MOTOR OIL for the price of 50lt of water and maube 1 dollary doo of elecyricity)

RenzokukenJ
22-03-2015, 09:28 PM
My washing machine only has abo load is this the same pls help me

JordanMugen
29-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Save your money and just use Honda FEO. Change it every 10,000km as per the manual. It's cheap and the car runs perfectly. I can't hear my engine at the lights but it sounds great at 8600RPM when I'm on the twisty stuff.

Interesting...

I have just put in Penrite Racing 5W-30. Available at Repco or Autobarn. Supercheap don't stock the 5W30 for some reason.

The good point is it's a real synthetic - group 4 PAO & group 5 Ester blend in the base stock portion. It has friction modifiers, so you might get any extra kW or two too. Yay. :)

If doing track days, you might want to use the 10W40 version, for a bit more robustness.

Seeing as this oil is only $50 on special; I don't see the point in using semi-synthetic oil. The engine definitely felt smoother after changing from dealership semi-synthetic to Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 "pretend" synthetic (it has Shell's XHVI base stock which is sort in between crappy Castrol Edge Group 3 synethics, and true full synthetics like the Penrite Racing or Royal Purple HPS).

Hopefully the Penrite Racing will be another step-up in smoothness again. Basically the same as "fancy" Royal Purple, for half the price (when it's on special)...

I think given the price, Penrite Racing is a very good deal. Of course it's not an OEM compliant oil, as it has too much zinc... but high zinc is what you want in a high rpm twin cam Honda IMO.

JordanMugen
29-03-2015, 08:17 PM

Why use Royal Purple (a group 4/5 blend oil, mostly group 4, high zinc, non-OEM compliant), when Penrite Racing is basically the same (also a group 4/5 blend oil, mostly group 4, high zinc, non-OEM compliant) and only half the price? :)

Of course Royal Purple is a good ideal, and I guess it does contain Royal Purple's propriatory additive, but that's not worth $50 extra for me! :P

RenzokukenJ
29-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Interesting...

I have just put in Penrite Racing 5W-30. Available at Repco or Autobarn. Supercheap don't stock the 5W30 for some reason.

The good point is it's a real synthetic - group 4 PAO & group 5 Ester blend in the base stock portion. It has friction modifiers, so you might get any extra kW or two too. Yay. :)

If doing track days, you might want to use the 10W40 version, for a bit more robustness.

Seeing as this oil is only $50 on special; I don't see the point in using semi-synthetic oil. The engine definitely felt smoother after changing from dealership semi-synthetic to Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 "pretend" synthetic (it has Shell's XHVI base stock which is sort in between crappy Castrol Edge Group 3 synethics, and true full synthetics like the Penrite Racing or Royal Purple HPS).

Hopefully the Penrite Racing will be another step-up in smoothness again. Basically the same as "fancy" Royal Purple, for half the price (when it's on special)...

I think given the price, Penrite Racing is a very good deal. Of course it's not an OEM compliant oil, as it has too much zinc... but high zinc is what you want in a high rpm twin cam Honda IMO.
Das it mayne