PDA

View Full Version : H22a and Airbagging my Civic

fusion_VTi
06-01-2004, 11:47 AM
well ladies and gentlemen ive decided to take the plunge and throw out the old D16y8 VTEC engine and replace it with the 2.2L VTEC prelude engine. i know alot of custom fabrication needs to be done, engine mounts etc, and the small luxaries we have come to love e.g, aircon may need to be removed, but im gonna assume thats just part of the course. i was orginally gonna get an r33 but i figure everyone has one, what are they gonna think when a worked eg civic blows em away :P im also researching airbag suspension so i can drop it to the ground when need be :P what sort of quater mile times do people think i could acheive with this. i was thinking low 14's, high 13's?

luzinit
06-01-2004, 11:59 AM
mmm, i'm sorry i can't answer your question in regards to 1/4mile time. however, outta curiosity, may i ask why ur going the h22a route instead of the much simpler bseries route??

a b18c with bolt ons, i/h/e can easily make the power you'd like, however im not sure how fast it will propel you in the 1/4's..

vti-2
06-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Forget bagging it, unless you are building a showcar. Why do you want airbags?

[[d a n n y]]
06-01-2004, 12:10 PM
air bags GAY.... :P

civicboy
06-01-2004, 12:13 PM
H22A huh, powerfull but heavy block!!!! & its gonna cost u some $

fusion_VTi
06-01-2004, 12:58 PM
yeah i know a b series engine would fit in with less trouble but i just cant see the point of spending a few thousand for a b16a which will give me only 22 extra kilowatts. i feel a ITR motor is too expensive and is already reaching its peak power but i feel a H22a has more potential in it. i dont really mind about the heavier front end i dont take corners on the street at like 150k's anyway, hehe. and the airbags, i did a photochop of my car dropped to the ground and it looks phat as so i wanna do that now, just gotta save up a few thousand now, heheheh

bennjamin
06-01-2004, 01:12 PM
a EG with a b18c ( type R or even vtir motor) will probably be quicker and more reliable than a h22a powered EG anyway man...lighter , less weight over teh front axle , stronger internals....theres a reason b series engines sell like hotcakes...and h22a do not.

I suggest you spend the time and RESEARCH before handing over your mums money ( :P ) for something you dont even understand.

And , as teh in-house professional at everything...Sir Yoda himself said - Airbags = teh ghey.

vti-2
06-01-2004, 01:30 PM
and the airbags, i did a photochop of my car dropped to the ground and it looks phat as so i wanna do that now, just gotta save up a few thousand now, heheheh

Exactly how old are you if you don't me asking...?

2ds
06-01-2004, 02:00 PM
well which ever way you go i'll be interested in seeing the end result

(maybe you should consider a frankenstein b20 bottom end as another option)

good luck =)

-2ds

Civic Type R
06-01-2004, 02:57 PM
say goodbye to your handling and cornering with the H22a in an Eg !

fusion_VTi
06-01-2004, 03:15 PM
in response to bennnjamin i know the B series engines are more popular and i havent ruled one out totally, but some people i have talked to claim they are alot more expensive than the H22a, mind u i havent ruled one as of yet. also its not my mums money im 18 and own my own business so any money spent has been made by me not the old girl :-D

traNce_gl
06-01-2004, 03:26 PM
fast engine and air bagging dont mix

i have a mate who has air cylinders and man does he go low and can go on 3 wheels

u want h22a fast and powerful engine and putting air bags well lest just say its rough ride and bad handling u wont have no springs or shocks ...

i would like to see it down u must be loaded cause both of these projects are damn of lot of money

XXpl0Sive
06-01-2004, 04:22 PM
i was orginally gonna get an r33 but i figure everyone has one, what are they gonna think when a worked eg civic blows em away and remember that 95% of skylines out there arn't exactly what you'd call stock from the factory either :)

lane-o
06-01-2004, 06:52 PM
go a B18c....it will cost you about $6000 for the Type R motor so just go for the VTi-R one. If your in Sydney call Honbits up and they can help you out. I was going to go the B18c in an EG civic but i bought a EK4 VTi-R instead. I was told about $5000-$6000 to fit it, i think so anyways can't quite remember.

vti-2
07-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Forget bagging it. IMO, that would be a waste of money. If you are going to spend that sort of cash, the sort of suspension you could setup (rather than airbags) would be awesome. That's my opinion though, if you really want (and really like airbags) there's no stopping you. :D

Geek
07-01-2004, 01:46 PM
putting a H22a in a civic is no big deal. I had my conversion completed about 6months ago. I own a 97 EK Hatch. I have kept the power steering and the aircon. Has highflow cat, 2.5" exhaust and unichip

if u want to check out the pics they r here-

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adslrwp9/pookie/geek1.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adslrwp9/pookie/geek2.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adslrwp9/pookie/geek3.jpg

civicboy
07-01-2004, 09:43 PM
where bouts u from?
is dat ur ride w/ H22A?

i remember seeing dat car on HOT4's? some thin' like dat hehehe

A'PEXi
08-01-2004, 12:30 AM
qld, and yes its his ride with a h22.

bags - for show, but if you want.... i suggest air struts if you really want adjustable bouncy suspension...

as everyone has said the h22 is heavier and you will need to go about modifying the front suspension to support the heavy engine, can be done, check bostocks :D

Geek
08-01-2004, 08:29 AM
yeah the H22A is a cr@p load heavier than my previous engine was. The whole front of the car just went down. I didnt really have enough money to spend more on suspension so I just got my koni adjustables adjusted as high as they go and front springs changed :( it does the job for now.. although it could be better..

Yeah I live in QLD and my car was in Jan issue of Hot 4s 03. But that shoot was done before I had the engine conversion. Back then I had the 1.6 sohc lol

Jacko
12-01-2004, 01:46 AM
u want h22a fast and powerful engine and putting air bags well lest just say its rough ride and bad handling u wont have no springs or shocks ...

Air Bags make for a much smoother ride than lowered suspension and even some stock applications. I do agree with you in part that bags are more for show and mini's though. But hey, if I had the cash Id bag it to! Id juice (hydraulics) it instead if I wasnt aiming for speed. Hydros + Going Fast = Bouncin all over the road

ah789454
14-01-2004, 07:48 PM
geek. have u raced an ITR how do u go up against them? i dare to ask how to u go against the wrx?

Geek
15-01-2004, 05:45 PM
nah I havent raced either of them.. I would prolly get my arse wooped by a wrx as I only have 112kw atw. I have raced a civic with a b16a and crapped on it in second gear.. thats about it :roll:

Jacko
16-01-2004, 12:40 AM
speaking of conversions, has anyone heard of anyone putting a rotor in a civic?

Geek
18-01-2004, 04:44 PM
I didnt even know that was possible..