PDA

View Full Version : D15 can't keep its oil to itself, help me fix it.

Hasemi
09-01-2014, 05:03 PM
So, I am loving the mighty 78kw PGM-Carb D15 in my ED hatch, however it just can't seem to keep oil inside it. Drip, drip, drip, a little dot becomes a big patch over a few weeks. Frustratingly barely enough to notice on the dipstick, but enough to stain my drive.

Pulled the top timing belt cover off, seems damp if not soaking wet with oil down there. Plenty of oil and grease collected around the sump rail. Back of accessory pulley is dry as a bone though so I'm thinking cam seal, rocker cover seal?
Noticed a film on the back end of the motor, seems to be coming from the distributor oil seal there (I don't think its a rear main, its dry inside the dust plate).

So, I'm new to Hondas, what do I go into the dealership and ask for? cam cover seal, distributor oil seal, cam seal?

If I mark the belt and cam wheel, should I be fairly safe to back off the belt tension, pop the cam wheel off and bung it all back together as marked?

Anything else I should be looking at?

grifty
09-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Get a timing belt kit from ebay, oem parts are too expensive. I would also replace the water pump.

Marking the belts work fine, also download a factory service manual to give you an indication of where the timing marks are. The dizzy is just a normal O-ring so you can pick one up for $2 from a parts store.