PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question On Rebuilding Engines

Jumanji
13-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Hey guys, I'm new around here so cut me some slack if I ask some obvious questions. I'm going to be purchasing a Vti-R Integra soon and I plan to do some work on the engine. I'd ideally like to purchase a rebuild kit and do it myself the only thing is I have no idea how an engine is put together and where things go. Are there any DVD's or YouTube channels that would be perfect for teaching me how to do it. Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers guys!
EDIT: Also YouTube channels that would be good for learning how installing headers/exhaust systems would be great, other than MCM.

mocchi
14-01-2014, 08:40 AM
best way is to download a honda service manual and follow that.
if your tool kit is the average $150 socket set, you definitely cant diy. well.. you can. its your engine lol.

probs need extra $700 for teles. bore gauge, straight edge, micrometer, torque wrench, ring compressor and lots of other specific tools.

your measurement will be as accurate as your least accurate measuring tool so buy the best you can afford like mitutoyo or starret, $2k is good budget for toolkit.

i rkn you should approach diy rebuild not with "trying to save money" attitude but because you want to learn and have fun building it yourself.

connorling
14-01-2014, 08:56 AM
personally i wouldnt DIY engine rebuild if you are also asking how to DIY header and exhaust installation.

anyway, this video doesnt show how to rebuild engine, but it shows you components of the engine.
good starting point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saPGX-1qC4M

and buy this book for reference.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Civic-CR-V-CRV-Acura-Integra-1994-2001-Haynes-Repair-Workshop-Manual-/360830148278?pt=AU_Clothing_Merchandise_Media&hash=item5403271eb6&_uhb=1

but cross reference with the workshop manual.
http://hondatech.info/search/integra/p://

Jasemas
14-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Eric the sunglasses!

Jumanji
14-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I see now that a diy engine rebuild is probably better to learn on some cheap engine from the scrap yard or something :).

bennjamin
15-01-2014, 06:52 AM
Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I see now that a diy engine rebuild is probably better to learn on some cheap engine from the scrap yard or something :).

Mate

An engine rebuild is left to mechanics you trust or a close mate who is very good at DIY - nit something you can do yourself in any way or form.

Jasemas
15-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Though buying an el cheapo engine from the scrapyard
And tearing it down, then putting it back together - will be a good start (even if its put back together not well :P)
As everyone said familiarize yourself with engine basics, internals, basic principles of the combustion engine etc.
Work from there
It takes years - just like an hobby or interest to be good at

Jumanji
15-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the help guys :)

dougie_504
15-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Couple of spare engines at my house if you wanna screw around with one

mocchi
15-01-2014, 04:20 PM
teach him how to dougie

ok jerod

EKVTIR-T
15-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Mate

An engine rebuild is left to mechanics you trust or a close mate who is very good at DIY - nit something you can do yourself in any way or form.this seems like not makes sense

people cant do it themselves but a mate can diy it?

bennjamin
15-01-2014, 06:50 PM
this seems like not makes sense

people cant do it themselves but a mate can diy it?

Read it agin you nong. It makes sense. ( apart from my typo which should of read "not" not "nit"
it says to trust a mechanic or a close mate who is very good at DIY.

EKVTIR-T
15-01-2014, 06:52 PM
you still dungeddit Bon

you say people cant diy but mates can diy

isnt that same same?

like saying to you,you cant do it but your mate can..

bennjamin
15-01-2014, 06:55 PM
you still dungeddit Bon

you say people cant diy but mates can diy

isnt that same same?

like saying to you,you cant do it but your mate can..

Mate I clearly said "...mates that are very good at DIY .." Which implies the mates have the skills to do such things- either mechanics themselves or skilled backyarders. I shouldn't need to explain but hey.

Hope that helps , OP

Martox
21-01-2014, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't go for the Vti-R dude, just go for the DC2r. Rebuilding them is the same amount of effort however B18c2 (VtiR) is significantly less power (160hp~) than the B18c7 (Type R) (200hp~).

Just a little pointer.

Spoon SiRG
21-01-2014, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't go for the Vti-R dude, just go for the DC2r. Rebuilding them is the same amount of effort however B18c2 (VtiR) is significantly less power (160hp~) than the B18c7 (Type R) (200hp~).

Just a little pointer.

Your pointer is a little bit off:

B18C2's are 170 & B18C7's are 200 rated fresh from the factory.

These 15 year old tired, leaky, smokey, oil burning engines won't be pulling those power figures anymore, so the "power difference" isn't so significant as you think.

The only real distinct advantage between the 2 is the type R gearbox, hence a lot of B18C7's for sale w/o the gearbox.

The B18C2, with the proper OEM parts combo, can be rebuilt to make the same, if not more power than the C7.

Jumanji
21-01-2014, 09:49 PM
At the age of 17 I don't think I can afford a DC2R :( Thanks again for the help and the offer for the engines I'll drop you a pm! :D

dougie_504
22-01-2014, 12:12 AM
Lots of things distinguish the ITR from the rest of the pack. It's a genuine sports car, whereas most of the other Hondas we tinker with are really glorified grocery-getters.

Get the VTiR. They're still a good car and drive well. Interior has aged nicely too for a 90's vehicle. If you swap the GBox for a B16A2 unit it'll drive a lot better around the streets (IE sportier).