PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox stuffed - 04 Accord V6

Ozwatson
13-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Just informed that the gearbox is dead in our 04 Accord V6 auto. $7000 to get a replacement - the car's probably not worth much more than that. Otherwise the car is in good nick, just on 200k but I don't want to spend that much money on it so might be off to the wreckers.

Is there much call for parts for these cars? I once stripped down a Hilux Surf and sold piece by piece on ebay - did pretty well but it was a grey import so parts are hard to get and so reasonable demand. Not sure there are enough of these Honda's on the road to make it worthwhile. I don't expect to get much from the wrecker.

Any thoughts?

chez00
13-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Shop around a little more for another transmission? Is it not repairable?

Ozwatson
13-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Shop around a little more for another transmission? Is it not repairable?

Got a quote elsewhere for $3.5 - 4.5 to repair so will probably go with that. Said he's done a few of these - common problem so be warned if your Honda is getting on in k's.

Sean628
14-01-2014, 12:15 AM
shop around you can find auto box for couple hundred and another couple hundred to put it back in not 3-4k

bennjamin
14-01-2014, 07:09 AM
shop around you can find auto box for couple hundred and another couple hundred to put it back in not 3-4k

It won't be a couple hundred to find or to fit- but it will be less than $3-4k. I'd realistically estimate around $1500-2000 all up fitted.
Ofcourse - being second hand you then run the risk of this happening again! But I'd choose this route and sell the car after

chez00
14-01-2014, 09:00 AM
I reckon $4k for rebuilt installed is alright, I'd still shop a bit more though. You'll get warranty and everything too if you get it rebuilt.

Ozwatson
14-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Ok, got another quote ~$800 to put in a 2nd hand box, with no guarantee it would work. If it doesn't, another $800 to try another. Price for rebuild was higher than yesterday's quote so will probably cop the $4k and at least get a full warranty on the work.

Jasemas
14-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Sure the TCU is not fried?
How often was the g'box fluid serviced?

Sean628
14-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Yeah check the simple things first might save you time and money

Ozwatson
15-01-2014, 09:43 AM
I think it is likely more than just the TCU. When it failed I had engine revs going up and speed going down. Pulled over, smoke coming from engine bay, transmission fluid dripping underneath. I don't know enough to make my own diagnosis so have to be guided by the mechanics. First diagnosis was by Honda, second will be from a transmission shop, hopefully today.

I don't know when the A/T was last serviced - before we bought the car (at 160k). I presume it is part of the 200k service so it was probably only a few weeks away from being done anyway.

Jasemas
15-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Hmmm the cause of your transmission failure
Is the lack of fluid change and the fact the i4 and v6 share the same Auto
Meaning the v6 torque just rips it apart

grifty
15-01-2014, 03:53 PM
You can usually get reco ones fitted for $2000-2500.

Where abouts are you located?

hondapop
15-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Have you had someone actually look at this yet. I don't know what your model is like, but the Honda's I'm familiar with all have fluid connections by hoses to the radiator to cool the transmission. Your description of when it failed sounds awfully like a burst hose squirting trans fluid all over an exhaust manifold. Lost fluid=lost drive?

Ozwatson
15-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Have you had someone actually look at this yet. I don't know what your model is like, but the Honda's I'm familiar with all have fluid connections by hoses to the radiator to cool the transmission. Your description of when it failed sounds awfully like a burst hose squirting trans fluid all over an exhaust manifold. Lost fluid=lost drive?

That was the first thing the guy at Honda thought - that it was just low in fluid. After they had a closer look at it they said the gearbox was done. I'm awaiting a second opinion from a transmission shop.

hondapop
15-01-2014, 08:05 PM
If the car was driving OK beforehand, then whatever happened was a catastrophic failure somewhere. If it has what's called an "open differential" and not a "limited slip" type, then a broken spider pinion shaft also sounds a likely culprit (breaks and gets thrown through the diff casing). If that's so, then a total replacement is the only option. Not common on Autos, usually the result of much wheelspinning i.e. one wheel in mud trying to get unstuck. (or burnouts, tut,tut)

Ozwatson
15-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Verdict is in. Heat exchanger crapped itself or blocked up, resulting in the A/T overheating and self destructing. So the whole lot is a mess. Complete rebuild of the A/T plus a replacement heat exchanger - $5000. On top of that it's due a 200k service which was quoted as around $1000. Plus some minor left overs from last service so looking at well over $6k to get it back on the road. It's a nice car but not sure it's worth spending that sort of money on it. Will probably get it towed back home and ponder for a bit.

Jasemas
15-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Put the money in then sell it

Ozwatson
15-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Checking prices the car is probably only worth 6-7k.

EKVTIR-T
15-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Do you have full comp. insurance on it?

Ozwatson
15-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Yeah ...

EKVTIR-T
15-01-2014, 08:47 PM
;) :zip:

hondapop
15-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Heat exchanger eh! Certainly sounds a lot more complex than just a pipe through the bottom of the radiator. And all we really want is a car that gets us there (and back) in comfort. As it wasn't an accident (for insurance), I doubt there'll be joy there. (check with them though) If the current value is only equal to the repair, sell it for what you can get immediately, don't waste money getting it towed home (then again to the wreckers). Ring up and get an offer and get it out of the mechanics before they start charging storage fees. Wrecking a car at home can be a long drawn out exercise. Real bad luck mate.

Ozwatson
15-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Yeah been there done that. Wrecked a Hilux Surf after it got tapped into a parked car. Piece by piece, sold on eBay. Took about a year. I don't think the Honda would have the same parts market though.

u mad?
15-01-2014, 09:21 PM
;) :zip:
op, delete thread.

you know what to do.

Jasemas
15-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Private price guide according to redbook starts at over $8,100 for a bad condition - all the way to over $10,000

grifty
16-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Where abouts are you located? Some members on here may be able to recommend a shop....

Ozwatson
16-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Where abouts are you located? Some members on here may be able to recommend a shop....

In Brisbane, south side. Currently at TransTech. Right now, leaning towards getting it fixed. In the end $5k gives me a working car again, and better than what I could buy for $5k. I'll be able to sell it for at least that if I decide or if I keep it at least I know that tranny is good and will have warranty for a year.

Jasemas
16-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Make the sure all the transmission lines & cooler are replaced or flushed properly

donny_s18
09-02-2014, 12:37 AM
I had the same problem with my CM6 Accord three days ago. Got the tranny fully rebuilt for approx $2k. Picked it up this morning and feels a million bucks, more responsive than what it was prior to the failure.
Worth the money IMO as i can enjoy the car for a while without any worries.
Good luck with yours!

Jasemas
09-02-2014, 11:45 AM
I had the same problem with my CM6 Accord three days ago. Got the tranny fully rebuilt for approx $2k. Picked it up this morning and feels a million bucks, more responsive than what it was prior to the failure.
Worth the money IMO as i can enjoy the car for a while without any worries.
Good luck with yours!

Awesome glad to hear it worked out great
And you want to keep the car for years to come
Make sure you have a go at installing a magnefine transmission filter

Unfortunately people buy cars and assume when they drop it off at the mechnic for a service EVERYTHING will be all handy dandy
But neglect to ask questions/enquire about certain aspects of a car (ATF change)
Then one day the ATF kicks the bucket and says how he wants to get rid of the car....

stndrd
09-02-2014, 04:10 PM
I just finished a job for a reconditioned auto on a cm6 v6 and i billed the customer $2500 with a 12 month warranty