PDA

View Full Version : CVT Shudder or not?

dartanian
15-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Hi,

2003 Jazz with 45000 Kms, I notice from stop taking off when turning or a slight hill such as basement parkings, the car would shudder for a moment then disappears.

Is this a sign of CVT issue or is this normal behaviour when the CVT is trying to engage the first gear?

The previous owner had the car taken for a major service, with the CVT fluid flushed also, however not at a Honda dealership, does the CVT need reprogramming after a flush?

I'm thinking of taking it to Scott's Honda to get the CVT fluid flushed and programmed or would taking it to Hannys performance be the same?, I don't mind spending on it to get it done properly.

Jasemas
15-01-2014, 07:53 PM
If the car has been serviced at other places other than a honda dealer
There is a HIGH chance the service centre DID NOT use OEM Honda CVT fluid
Honda transmission esp their Auto & CVT are VERY picky on the fluid that is used
So getting it serviced by honda would be a good way to go

dartanian
15-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Booked it next week for a CVT flush and reprogramming at Autosports Honda Leichardt. Seems cheaper than Scott's Honda :)

amant02
16-01-2014, 03:13 PM
You could do this at home. Which I recommend as the OEM Fluid anit cheap. I would flush it twice to ensure good stuff is in there.

Should go away. If it comes back again, re do.

dartanian
17-01-2014, 11:56 AM
You could do this at home. Which I recommend as the OEM Fluid anit cheap. I would flush it twice to ensure good stuff is in there.

Should go away. If it comes back again, re do.

Is the CVT reprogramming required?

amant02
17-01-2014, 01:27 PM
No, Un plug the drain bolt + re fill bolt. Drain the fluid out, re fill. Take for a 10 minute drive and repeat. Cycle thru all the 7 gears.

Tools required, socket 1/4'+ 17mm + jacks and jack stands. I think its 1/4' and 17mm from memory. If you have a normal tool set u wont have any issues. May as well do an engine oil + filter change while ur slaving under the car.

Also dispose of the old oil at any mechanics for free. Keep the tree huggers happy.

Limbo
21-01-2014, 11:13 PM
My wife's jazz was serviced by Honda from new. Still didn't stop the gearbox being replaced under warranty @ 70k
Never missed a service and she drives 'like a girl'.

I took it to service and noticed the oil was not the oem cvt oil (u can tell from the colour)
Seems Honda still puts normal auto honda oil in the jazz at dealerships.

U can't trust the dealerships they r dodgier than normal mechanics!!!

Limbo
21-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Flush with oem cvt oil, if it doesn't work they now make a cvt additive, can't rem wat it's called but sort out a friends cvt when they were told it was a new gb to fix the shudder

dartanian
22-01-2014, 08:37 AM
My wife's jazz was serviced by Honda from new. Still didn't stop the gearbox being replaced under warranty @ 70k
Never missed a service and she drives 'like a girl'.

I took it to service and noticed the oil was not the oem cvt oil (u can tell from the colour)
Seems Honda still puts normal auto honda oil in the jazz at dealerships.

U can't trust the dealerships they r dodgier than normal mechanics!!!

Thanks.

What is the OEMC CVT oil colour? I may purchase some to do the flush myself next time every 20,000Kms

I'm hoping it will last up to 100,000 Kms, or am I dreaming with the first gen Jazz CVT

amant02
22-01-2014, 10:03 AM
My jazz is the 1st gen. No shudder at all. We do the servicing at home for every 10K. All Major is done at my mechanics.

My car is currently on 106,xxx KM

She will make it with care.

amant02
25-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Sorry OP. I had given you wrong info.

There is no refill bolt on the Jazz.

U just need to drain out the old stuff via drain bolt which uses 1/4' driver and use the drip stick hole to refill.

I cut approx 1/2 meter hose, attached it to a funnel by warming up the hose using a lighter. You can also use boiling hot water to make the hose flexible.

Just keep on checking if have put enough in there. Specially after a drive.

dartanian
28-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Shudder/vibration has disappeared after the CVT flush from Autosports honda, cost was $290. Pretty happy with the service !

They also informed me of a headlight wiring issue recall that they will do for free once they get the part.

I will do the CVT flush in the future and minor services, but will definitely take it back there for a full service.

amant02
29-01-2014, 02:10 AM
WOW! $90 bucks labour for less then 30 minutes or less worth of work. I should've been a mech.

dartanian
29-01-2014, 08:30 AM
EHeh I know. Sometimes you just have to pay :)

jazzinta
03-09-2014, 02:56 PM
I've had this problem for 5 years and still after many many visits to mechanics and the dealership sending it back to Honda when I first purchased it, it still continues to do it.

hondajohn
18-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Have recently borrowed my mother's Jazz 2007 1.3 CVT 43000k on the clock, noticed bit of a vibration when taking off and only then. Had an idea might have something to do with an oil issue. Did some googling and appears its an issue with the starter clutch/CVT fluid. Fluid fix $100, starter clutch fix $3000. So went to a repair business in Sydney to get some oil.
When I got there mentioned there was a bit of a vibration when taking off, the mechanic said give me your key and I'll fix it, yeah right I thought.
He started the car, put the hand break on, left foot on break, put into D then proceeded to bring the engine revs to between 2-3000rpm for a short while. He then did this again, turned the car off said it was fixed. This is what seems gets the starter clutch to work properly.
I asked him how did he to know this quick fix, said he has a mate who works for Honda.
I got him to change the CVT fluid at the same time, $110. Drove the car and now has no vibration what so ever.

Jasemas
18-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Have recently borrowed my mother's Jazz 2007 1.3 CVT 43000k on the clock, noticed bit of a vibration when taking off and only then. Had an idea might have something to do with an oil issue. Did some googling and appears its an issue with the starter clutch/CVT fluid. Fluid fix $100, starter clutch fix $3000. So went to a repair business in Sydney to get some oil.
When I got there mentioned there was a bit of a vibration when taking off, the mechanic said give me your key and I'll fix it, yeah right I thought.
He started the car, put the hand break on, left foot on break, put into D then proceeded to bring the engine revs to between 2-3000rpm for a short while. He then did this again, turned the car off said it was fixed. This is what seems gets the starter clutch to work properly.
I asked him how did he to know this quick fix, said he has a mate who works for Honda.
I got him to change the CVT fluid at the same time, $110. Drove the car and now has no vibration what so ever.

Strong emphasis on not doing this a long time
As it puts alot of strain on the CVT and brakes
Awesome to hear it fixed the shudder!