PDA

View Full Version : Body Kit -DIY

ViHatcher
04-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Any idea how hard would be to DIY fitting body kit? I wonder it would be easy to fit .....

Anyone?

sesshoumaru
04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
depends on the quality of the kit.

civ_sik
04-04-2005, 07:37 PM
what he said...

CTR Coupe
04-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah depends on how good the kit is. i.e. how well it fits. Most Australian made kits aren’t that great because they are copies of copies of copies. My friend spend over 2k having his kit fitted and sprayed. Most of that cost was fitting the kit. Try and find a supplier that will fit the kit. This way if it doesn’t fit that great you can request that they get another one.

Nodachi
04-04-2005, 07:44 PM
how baout kits such as c-west?

CTR Coupe
04-04-2005, 07:51 PM
If it’s a genuine c-west kit I would imagine it would fit quite well. But I had a friend that bought a genuine black widow kit from the states and he still had to have it fixed.
At the end of the day fibreglass = unpredictable quality

BLKek
04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Streeter by streeter (kit maker) I think still offer free fitting if you go in and buy one of his, Gold Coast, I've only seen stuff for nissans from him though.

z3lda
04-04-2005, 07:53 PM
the easiest fitting bodykit for the DIY junkies would be the carboard type s style.

ViHatcher
04-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all feedback, guys! Appreciated....
what about genuine OEM or Mugen kit? The other question I had related to the material of these kit.

I got burned once with copied kit....Will never ever touch on those... cheap which bring sh#t...

CTR Coupe
04-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Genuine kits lips etc are usually ABS plastic. As for the Mugen kits I’m not sure what material they are made from. I imagine that the quality would be high but sourcing these would also be difficult.

Kawasaki
04-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Genuine kits lips etc are usually ABS plastic. As for the Mugen kits I’m not sure what material they are made from. I imagine that the quality would be high but sourcing these would also be difficult.

Im sure places like JDM yard or tunning shops like advan performance would be able to get these kits in for you but expect to pay alot of money... but remember you get what you pay for.

ViHatcher
04-04-2005, 08:38 PM

Thanks........I got a few in mind at the moment, not sure which I will go for yet.......1./ OEM 2./Mugen 3/Buddy Club

VTC-8OY
04-04-2005, 10:10 PM
u get wat u pay for!.... cheap bodykits are made of poor quality and are rushly made, so chances are they probably wont fit perfectly n u'll end up cuttin

SXYSOL
05-04-2005, 09:08 AM
i fitted my own kit... took around 6 weekends of work... was a dodgy copy from a company i wont name in sydney (think most people could guess)...

anyway will take 2 people to do it and someone with a fair idea on how to fibreglass but it can be done... all up i reckon i saved myself about a grand...

Lukezen27
24-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Anyone got any links on DIY install?

I have a Mugen copy body kit that I want to insall myself

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25205

Its off 2MPRSS car is it should fit back on ok right?

Thx LukeZen

samsider
24-08-2005, 07:58 PM
i picked up my car today after getting a kit put on. Seems alright only thing thats messed is the gap between my front lights and the front bar, about 2mm off

Lukezen27
24-08-2005, 08:59 PM
i picked up my car today after getting a kit put on. Seems alright only thing thats messed is the gap between my front lights and the front bar, about 2mm off

cost for just fiting? not painting

armak81
24-08-2005, 09:41 PM
how hard fittting will be will depend on the quality of the kit... there are supplies out there that have good fitting fibreglass kits, you just need to know who to buy from.

kit fitting tips:
watch the edges of where the kit joins to your panels (especially the front guards and rear quarters) you will easily put scratches in your paint. example: you've got one side of a front bar on, whilst you were putting it on the other side has scratched the shit out of your guard)
you need 2 people
fibreglass is very flexible, don't be afraid to bend/ manipulate to get it to fit
pre-drill mounting holes before getting it painted

Lukezen27
24-08-2005, 09:49 PM
how hard fittting will be will depend on the quality of the kit... there are supplies out there that have good fitting fibreglass kits, you just need to know who to buy from.

kit fitting tips:
watch the edges of where the kit joins to your panels (especially the front guards and rear quarters) you will easily put scratches in your paint. example: you've got one side of a front bar on, whilst you were putting it on the other side has scratched the shit out of your guard)
you need 2 people
fibreglass is very flexible, don't be afraid to bend/ manipulate to get it to fit
pre-drill mounting holes before getting it painted

Cool thx man

I have this kit http://www.onlineperformance.com.au/bodykits_closeup.asp?index=Civic+92%2D95+Hatch The bottom one

I need to fited for the drive up to the Cold Cost when I get my whole cars incuding the kit painded

samsider
25-08-2005, 07:32 AM
i think roughly about 500-600 sprayed too
i dunno about just a fit

adam87
25-08-2005, 08:12 AM
ive fitted a front bar 2 months ago and its straight forward. all thats neede doing so far is a bit of filing to get a perfect fit. yesterday i did my rear bar and sideskirts. the rear bar was easier than the front and the sideskirts were a little harder but still only required a bit of filing. all up to fit a hole kit probably 5 hours, including taking the original off. my car is an ek hatch and the kits were all copies from two aus companies.

Lukezen27
25-08-2005, 09:48 AM
ive fitted a front bar 2 months ago and its straight forward. all thats neede doing so far is a bit of filing to get a perfect fit. yesterday i did my rear bar and sideskirts. the rear bar was easier than the front and the sideskirts were a little harder but still only required a bit of filing. all up to fit a hole kit probably 5 hours, including taking the original off. my car is an ek hatch and the kits were all copies from two aus companies.

Sounds sweet :)

Post a pic or two :D

What Bolts or screws did you use coze my didn’t come with any ?

[[d a n n y]]
25-08-2005, 11:05 AM
i fitted all the body parts on my car DIY
u need sikflex for sideskirts etc and bolst
and redrille holes if they dont line up

Lukezen27
25-08-2005, 12:13 PM
]']i fitted all the body parts on my car DIY
u need sikflex for sideskirts etc and bolst
and redrille holes if they dont line up

Hay Danny

Whats sikflex?

I'm new to body kits :rolleyes:

Also what type bolts or screws did you use?

Thx Luke

adam87
25-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Sounds sweet :)

Post a pic or two :D

What Bolts or screws did you use coze my didn’t come with any ?

for the rear bar i used a combo of existing screws and 15mm 6gauge nuts and bolts. for the side skirts i used existing screws and i had to drill a new hole at each end. the front bar i used self tappers and it works a treat. heres some new pics from yesterday. also used bubble wrap to gaurd against scratching until i glue the side skirts on with sikaflex.

Lukezen27
25-08-2005, 01:46 PM
for the rear bar i used a combo of existing screws and 15mm 6gauge nuts and bolts. for the side skirts i used existing screws and i had to drill a new hole at each end. the front bar i used self tappers and it works a treat. heres some new pics from yesterday. also used bubble wrap to gaurd against scratching until i glue the side skirts on with sikaflex.

I'm going to try and do the back bumper this weekend with my bro

I'm holping it should fit quite well as it was allready fited on an EG before :thumbsup: