PDA

View Full Version : B16A engine swap into CXI EK civic

baethos
19-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi All,

In the process of purchasing a B16A from a 1997 EK4 and swap it into my 1997 CXI EK (D16Y4) civic. I will be buying the engine, gearbox, ecu, loom, driveshaft...etc. I know there's a few threads, but I couldn't find the answers I'm after. Apologize if they've been answered before, but anyway:

1) Did some reading about ECUs and it seems that my current ECU and the new B series ECU are the same (ODB2a). As boths ECUs are the same, I assume it's a simple plug n play and I won't need to do any additional wiring?

2) I read about issues with using a D series A/C compressor with a B series block. Some people say that you need a special bracket to mount the D series compressor to the B series block. Is this needed? Or can I just use the B series A/C compressor instead?

Thanks!

dorikin
19-01-2014, 04:47 PM
No, the ECU's are not the same. But you don't have to worry about that since the B16A ECU plugs into the EK4 loom you'll be getting.

To retain D-series AC Compressor on B-series you need a CRV B20 A/C Compressor bracket (P7J).
If you use B-series A/C Compressor you'll need matching A/C lines

SHOGUNOVDDRK
19-01-2014, 04:59 PM
1) Did some reading about ECUs and it seems that my current ECU and the new B series ECU are the same (ODB2a). As boths ECUs are the same, I assume it's a simple plug n play and I won't need to do any additional wiring?

1) You'll need the B16 ECU but you won't need additional wiring done (assuming use of factory engine loom) and interior loom works for gauges etc (it'll plug in - did with my gli)

To retain D-series AC Compressor on B-series you need a CRV B20 A/C Compressor bracket (P7J).
If you use B-series A/C Compressor you'll need matching A/C lines

^^^^

OR

Try hunt down someone cleaning out their Aircon from EK4 (someone might be throwing it away) or try the wreckers.

Good luck with getting the swap done and most of all enjoy it.