PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil + White smoke = Bad Valve Stem Seals?

Li0nHe4rt
21-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Hi guys, I've got a 97 prelude h22a and it has been blowing copious amounts of white smoke for a while. From doing some reading around i have been lead to believe the likely cause are bad valve stem seals. These are the symptoms the engine continues to produce:

White smoke after coming to a stop
White smoke from accelerating after a stop
White smoke from accelerating after some deceleration (common especially in higher gear)
A lot of white smoke when passing 4k rpm and at VTEC
Strong burning oil smell, which i can smell often without seeing smoke
Burning excessive amounts of oil (driven approx 1800km over a 5 month period and there was no oil on the dipstick)

I have also noticed that sometimes after not using the car for a while, upon start up the engine might knock a bit like as if a cylinder wasn't firing properly. Also a couple days ago after coming home from a 3wk vacation and i turned on the car and noticed there was significant engine knocking which went away after driving a few kms (maybe oil burnt off from a clogged plug?). All this has led me to believe its due to bad valve stem seals.

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated thanks.

Spoon SiRG
21-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Time for an engine ovehaul/ rebuild.

Or a newer car.

RenzokukenJ
21-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Its a common problem unfortunately with h22s

Lucky for me, I haven't had the problem.. Yet...

curtis265
21-01-2014, 09:19 AM
might be the rings too - consider that they might also be a problem

white smoke is usually coolant though... just keep that in mind

mocchi
21-01-2014, 09:29 AM
do a leakdown test. could be cracked valves. dat lumpy idle vtec killer beast m8

RenzokukenJ
21-01-2014, 01:21 PM
might be the rings too - consider that they might also be a problem

white smoke is usually coolant though... just keep that in mind

How many plugs are getting oil on them?

Adrian @ SAS
21-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Probably broken ring land

dougie_504
24-01-2014, 08:29 AM
^ Gee that would suck

Get a leak-down IMO.

Jasemas
24-01-2014, 10:51 AM
H22's are notorious for destroying piston rings
That FRM sleeve eats at them like nobody's business
Do a rebuild

VH770
19-02-2014, 01:25 PM
if you want to find out if your compression and oil rings are worn, do a compression test before and after squirting some oil down the spark plug hole. If compression is higher after squiring oil, your rings are worn.

usually valve stem seals show up as smoke on startup and deceleration (more than other times), but also acceleration. If you are experiencing smoke at all times (i.e. cruise, as well as accel/decel/startup) it may well be a combination of stem seals and rings. It's not necessarily a problem by the way; old engines have huge tolerances and still run for many more miles before requiring a rebuild. As long as you don't starve the engine of oil it's not necessarily a problem to burn oil, it just reduces fuel efficiency, costs a lot in oil top-ups, and is embarassing/bad for the environment.

Also keep in mind that a damaged head gasket could leak oil into the chamber, but you'd most likely also observe overheating/coolant loss as well as what you've described, so by the sounds of it you aren't facing a head gasket issue because you haven't noted overheating/coolant loss. White smoke can sometimes mean water, but it's not a foolproof assumption by any means; could simply be oil mixed with other impurities from the crankcase. But do keep in mind that a head gasket can fail at one of the oil passages only, and not affect any of the water passages. So a head gasket IS a possibility to keep in mind.

I'd advise fitting new valve stem seals, this can be done on most engines with the right tools without removing the cylinder head, but admittedly i've never done it on a honda, so it may be easier to remove the head and do them on the bench. Coupled with the other possible causes of oil use i think the best step forward is just to remove the head and deal with everything at once (head gasket, stem seals). With the right tools and patience, removing a cylinder head is not a hard job. Also, while you're there you might as well hot tank the head and recondition it with a new head gasket if it's been in service for a while.

cheers

curtis265
19-02-2014, 11:09 PM
older engines have lower tolerances yes, but not honda m8

Li0nHe4rt
31-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Hey guys thanks for the input! Sorry about the lack of participation, work has been keeping me busy and with a lack of funds, the car has fallen in priorities. A lot of the people here suggest i do a rebuild. Would anyone know of a reputable rebuilder in the Sydney region? Ive been given a couple quotes that start at about high 3K -4k minimum and i believe that is with stock parts. Anyone have experience or solid figures so i know what to look out for in terms of range for price and what should be done? Thanks again guys!

Jasemas
01-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Import JDM H22A for like $1500
Yosh

Li0nHe4rt
01-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Import JDM H22A for like $1500
Yosh

i would love to but i cant find any places. Have you got any good sources? I can find a bunch of half cuts that will set me back around 2.5k but i don't need any of the extras then the labor cost of moving the engine in and out.

amant02
01-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Yeh, I would also advise get new motor and major service before you put her in. Can be done well under that 4k mark.

If you go to someone who knows what they are doing preped with all you need 1k in labour.

Li0nHe4rt
02-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Id prefer to go that way but i am having a hard time finding anything decent. I've called several places. Eg. BYP offering a used h22a long block with 170xxxkm for $1100.

Do you know of any good sources for low km jdm h22a engines?

amant02
02-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Id prefer to go that way but i am having a hard time finding anything decent. I've called several places. Eg. BYP offering a used h22a long block with 170xxxkm for $1100.

Try to negotiate with them, 170 not bad. If you did a major. Shouldn't have any real issues till well within the 200 range. Thats wut 1 -2 years of use?

Jasemas
03-08-2014, 11:00 AM

I would not come anywhere near BYP with a 1000 foot pole

A member on here had a H22a put in his accord and lets say
A timing belt was not done when it was installed and the pistons and valves ended up kissing each other some years later

connorling
07-08-2014, 12:21 PM
best to say is that when u buy an engine from a shop, search their reputation first.

type in the name of the shop that sell the engine in the search on ozhonda and see what happen

something interesting will come up.

u have been warned

Li0nHe4rt
16-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Did a compression and leak down test at JDMYARD today. Compression results were 240 235 230 240. and Leak down test showed all cylinders stable with no major issues. So from this we gathered it was most likely the valve stem seals. So at the moment i am getting quoted on valve stem seal replacements which will pretty much be a major service with timing belt, water pump replacement etc. OR drop in a used motor. What are your opinion guys?

amant02
16-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Service the head with new VRS Kit. Timing Belt + Water Pump and I'd say your good to go.