PDA

View Full Version : Car Alarm for Euro / Lowering problems with dealer

KL1368
04-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Hi guys,

I've only recently joined and have really enjoyed reading everybody's input into the forum. Its great to see so many :honda: Accord Euro owners out there and I'm ecstatic to finally have one to call my very own! :D

My question is this: Has anybody any suggestions for a car alarm which fits nicely onto the current :honda: Euro system? I'd like to get an audible alarm to protect my investment, but the systems I've seen are all additional, and override the Euro's stock alarm and immobilier. This is OK, but what to do with all the buttons on the key?! If anybody can recommend an alarm which takes care of this I would greatly appreciate it!

I'll also be posting up pics of my car soon. I've just had the windows tinted (20%) and its getting lowered this week by john blair honda in melbourne:D

Thanks guys!

EuroAccord13
04-04-2005, 10:25 PM
There are Alarm Upgrades available from different brands that uses back the OEM remote key functions....

yfin
04-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Welcome - lowered by John Blair? With what springs?

KL1368
04-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Welcome - lowered by John Blair? With what springs?

hey yfin, i was quoted eibach springs with dampeners fitted. i'm getting it done with my first 1000km service this week. i went thru honda for warranty reasons, so it won't be slammed, but still aesthetically better! :cool:

euro77
04-04-2005, 10:43 PM
welcome KL1368.

I didn't know they do lowering. how much do you have to pay for it?
But this is just springs yeah? not coilover?

kanthan
05-04-2005, 11:58 AM
i assume since john blair is doing the lowering.....warranty will not be affected...this is the first i am hearing about a dealership do the job...who is supplying the gear? u or the dealership?

KL1368
05-04-2005, 08:58 PM
the eibach springs + dampener was quoted and supplied by honda service. they assured me it would be covered by warranty if i went thru them, hence my decision, but i didn't know honda did lowering at first either! :o

EuroAccord13
05-04-2005, 09:07 PM
What about the alarm LOL!

Anyways, Does the package include the camber kit? One member had the car lowered and the camber at the rear wheels went to -3 Degrees, mind you from factory, it already has a -1 degree camber..

PNR888
05-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Sorry mate, I dont know any Euro owner has upgraded their Alarm system. But I am sure one of many aftermarket ones will be able to meet your need. From my knowledge, the lastest security system in Taiwan can be linked to your mobile phone, and you can control the setting with mobile phone. When the car get breaked in, the system automatically notify you by calling your mobile, If you didnt answer, it will ring your nominated friend/families' phone, and text message you. Even if the car get break in by bad people, you can even speak/shout at them through car's loud speaker by using your mobile phone. You can also hear/record bad guys' conversation when they are in the car.

EuroAccord13
06-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Opps I forgot to add, I have an upgrade over the OEM system, it still uses the OEM remote :)

KL1368
06-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi all,

Update on lowering springs from honda: picked up the car this afternoon, lowered euro looks good, but wasn't as low as i had hoped. service guy assured me it would settle and perhaps drop a little more in a couple weeks. got home and decided to give my car a once-over and was shocked to find that the springs were yellow! they quoted me EIBACH springs so i was intrigued. checked the boot and there was a KINGS SPRINGS box with my factory springs in it! naturally i was upset, so i called them back. this is wot they said: "MY05 upgraded suspension could not hold the eibach springs they'd used on the previous model". i didn't know wot to make of that, but i've asked for a discount. no way i'm paying the same price if they gave me kings springs instead of the agreed eibachs!! :mad: :mad: :mad: not fcuking happy cos they didn't even bother to notify me first before fitting/substituting them! going back in after work to see him personally.. will update you afterwards.

anybody got any thoughts on this matter? :confused: its like buying italian leather shoes from aquila to find out they were made in chinese pig skin in china! surely the contract never existed if they substituted the product without my consent, nor told me when i picked it up! GGGggRrRrr.... :mad: :mad:

ps. thanx for the info euroaccord13, i appreciate it. do u mind telling me which brand upgrade u used? thx!

:(

Fr3aKi3
06-04-2005, 07:03 PM
sorry to hear abt ur situation...

if the eibach springs didnt fit, the first thing they should've done was notify u so u could decide what to do, not make an assumption and use diff springs...

goodluck n hope all goes well for u

Pum[Z]
06-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Yeah u should complain like hell..

That was very dodgy of them to assume and put king springs on ur euro.. Not that i have a problem with King Springs but Eibachs are definetly the springs to get for the euro if u don't want adjustable suspensions...

yfin
06-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Hi all,
anybody got any thoughts on this matter? :confused: its like buying italian leather shoes from aquila to find out they were made in chinese pig skin in china! surely the contract never existed if they substituted the product without my consent, nor told me when i picked it up! GGGggRrRrr.... :mad: :mad:
ps. thanx for the info euroaccord13, i appreciate it. do u mind telling me which brand upgrade u used? thx!
:(

King springs are much cheaper - around $200. Eibachs are more like $550 retail. Eibachs are more expensive for a reason. If I was you I would:

return car to dealer;
demand stock springs be refitted;
get your money back;
go and get Eibachs installed by someone else
Don't take any shit. You are ENTITLED to a REFUND. The goods are not what was described. If they complain report them to Honda, fair trading, whoever. This is very shady conduct indeed. Get your money back and run - don't keep the King springs.

PNR888
06-04-2005, 09:45 PM
I couldn't agree more with you yfin. I will definitely not pay for the service and demand to remove the King's and put the stock back. KL1368, If they give you shit, you MUST do what yfin suggested: complain to someone higher, or relevant authorities.
Don't settle for with them for accepting a few dollars discount (If you have already paid for the service). If you want to go harder, you can even sue them for muck around your car (fit Non-agreed items) without informed consent, and ask for conpensation for the productivity/time lost due to unnecessary/additional time the car need to be in the service department. I am sure someone in this forum works is studying law or works in this field will be able to help you if things dont turn out well.
Good Luck.

kanthan
07-04-2005, 10:39 AM
can ask how much u paid for supply and fitting?

aaronng
07-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Photocopy your quote, hopefully it mentions the price and Eibach springs on the list. Do the same on your receipt (if it says Eibach springs on it, then you've hit the bullseye). Go to customer service, and complain that you were quoted and paid for Eibach springs, but they installed King springs. This kind of deliberate error is easy to prove. Make sure the dealer gives you a FULL refund. Tell them you are unhappy because they installed a product different from that that was agreed on without your permission. Once they realise what deep shit they are in, you should be fine.

Even your credit card can dispute the charge (assuming you paid for it with a credit card) since they did not give you what you paid for.

kanthan
07-04-2005, 04:02 PM
spoke to john blair. supply and fit - $990. only can fit kings on the the 2005. she asked me to speak to the service manager for technical reason.

PNR888
07-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Did Honda really make that much difference to Euro's suspansion that prevent fitting of Eiback springs?? It fit OK on 03 and 04 models isn't?
And is the change only made to Lux model only? or both?
If only to the Luxury model, then is it because of the 17"??

KL1368
07-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the info and support guys, i really appreciate it. here's an update on wots happened today. Spoke to the service guy extensively and discussed my disappointment in not being asked/told first. He assures me that there is little difference between the eibachs and kings cos neither were sports springs, just lowering springs. i'm still abit doubtful, but he's offered to let me drive on the springs over the weekend, and if i'm still not happy, then he'll reinstall the factory springs. he genuinely seems to know wot he's talking about so i'm gonna give it a go. he didn't like the idea of a full refund (obviously), so in order to maintain the peace, i'm gonna give it a go. i've had a really good experience with john blair honda so far, so i don't want to have to go elsewhere to service my car in the future.

as for the aesthetic differences, rear camber is visibly more than prior to lowering, no difference in front camber. rear has dropped more than the front, front less than 2", rear probably 2.5". driving home from work today, car definitely 'feels' lower - i'm no longer staring over the rooftop of cars.

anybody use kings springs in their euro? i know eibachs are better, but given that the eibachs don't fit the MY05, has anybody found a substitute?

thanx again guys! :wave:

PNR888
07-04-2005, 07:41 PM
I had King spring on my old Camry (1997model) with stock shock absorbers. Same proble as yours: rear end is terribly lower than front end. so the car looked like having its nose stick up high in air. It's even worse when having 5 people on board. The rear shock absorbers jump quite often when the car is fully loaded.

My brother has Eibach for his IS200 now. The car is sitting beautifully on the springs. No problem at all.

So Eibach and King spring are definitely in different league. I still wont put King in my euro even if it is free.

euro77
07-04-2005, 08:13 PM
spoke to john blair. supply and fit - $990. only can fit kings on the the 2005. she asked me to speak to the service manager for technical reason.

$990 for king springs? that's a bit steep. even eibach costs just under 800 installed. But I guess it's worth paying the extra 200 for warranty? or not?

EuroAccord13
07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
JB Hi-Fi sells lots of OEM alarm upgrades :)

I use my regular installer who does Vision Alarms so yeah I have a Vision Upgrade system installed :)

yfin
07-04-2005, 09:04 PM
$990 for king springs? that's a bit steep. even eibach costs just under 800 installed. But I guess it's worth paying the extra 200 for warranty? or not?

You can get eibach installed for just over $600. There is no way I would pay $990 for King Springs regardless of warranty - I was quoted around $300 for them installed. Considering you will need to pay for a camber kit soon - you are gettting close to D2 Coilover territory in terms of what you are paying.

I seriously doubt your service manager knows a lot about lowering cars. Since when do dealers lower cars anyway? I wouldn't trust anything he says about "there is little difference" between Eibach and King. Of course he is saying that - the springs cost him $150 trade and the shop is making $850 on the install.

When your shocks shit their pants in 12 months time - will the dealer replace them? Or will they say the new warranty only covered the springs? I really think you should give this dealer the flick - they are ripping you off !

euro77
07-04-2005, 10:00 PM
You can get eibach installed for just over $600. There is no way I would pay $990 for King Springs regardless of warranty - I was quoted around $300 for them installed. Considering you will need to pay for a camber kit soon - you are gettting close to D2 Coilover territory in terms of what you are paying.

Where did you get that price from? I've been asking several shops and the lowest quoted was $790.

yfin
07-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Where did you get that price from? I've been asking several shops and the lowest quoted was $790.

Near the corner of Ferntree Gulley Road and Dandenong Road (Oakleigh) there is a tyre shop (next door to the self car wash). I think it is Donnellans or something like that - there is a large Bridgestone sign out front.

Sorry checked my notes - I was quoted $650 cash (not $600) for Eibach fitted in August 2004. I didn't bargain on the price - that was the first price they quoted me. I decided not to go ahead as I want a shock/spring combo. They have fitted Eibachs to a Euro before - I saw one being done when i was there! Hoipe this helps.

aaronng
07-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Did the dealer agree to give you back the price difference between the Eibachs and king springs? At least you have 1 avenue. If you don't like it over the weekend, you can complain saying your car is lower at the rear than the fron and looks SHI*.

EuroAccord13
07-04-2005, 10:13 PM
I would give Donny's at Oakleigh a Pass when it comes to installing springs... personal experience... think "Installed Upside Down"

aaronng
07-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Reminds me of Malaysia, where Kah Motor (when they were still the distributors of Honda) rebuilt my dad's '94 Accord's auto tranny. They assembled the clutch pack with one of the components backwards! The tranny failed within 1 month. The 2nd time, my dad oversaw the reassembly (he studied automotive mechanics) and told the mechanic that the part was backwards. The guy said either way works, no difference. My dad was in disbelief, because that part was not symmetrical, and had the center section thicker on one face. Talked to the service manager, and the service manager started to talk shit to him, stating that he (the service manager! not the tech!) was Honda trained, that this was his garage and all that shit. In the end, one of the head technician came and agreed to reassemble the clutch pack the right way. He knew the service manager was a prick. Hahahha.

yfin
08-04-2005, 08:06 AM
I would give Donny's at Oakleigh a Pass when it comes to installing springs... personal experience... think "Installed Upside Down"

I'd give them a go - they do lower lots of cars which is more than we can say for this Honda dealer.

EuroAccord13
08-04-2005, 11:31 AM
I'd rather you go to a tuner to lower yor car :)

PNR888
08-04-2005, 01:44 PM
My old Camry's King springs were installed for only $300 (parts and labour) at a tyre shop. This is back in 1999 or 2001 I think.

But yeah, $990 for a set of King srping is way too much..... and if they dare to charge you extra for wheel alignment, then they are ripping you off.

KL1368, I will put my stock spring back and get refund regardless of what the service manager says. Just tell him to shut up, because they are the one at fault at first place. You can also tell your dealer that many other King spring users gave you negative reports on their long term use.

kanthan
08-04-2005, 07:21 PM
here is what you do, get the refund...go somewhere reputable...preferbly a large chain...get them to do the install. If something breaks due to the warranty on your car, and if honda says its not covered by warranty cause of the aftermarket springs....ask for it in writing that the springs and/or installation are the direct cause. Say you will take the manufacturer and the installer to court for selling you defective goods. i will be surprised if Honda give you anything in writing pointing the liability at another large manufactur. if they dont resolve the claim, take them to consumer affairs / court. Your legal entitiled to your warranty and if not, a suitable explantion that Honda is willing to go to court and defend must be given. A friend modded his HSV in Melbourne and used the same avenue to get a warranty claim. If its done by someone big and reputable, they wont call your bluff. this why honda cant refuse your claim if u service your car else where. Top it off, you have evidence that honda themselves were installing aftermarkets spring from the receipts of the install.

-h2n-
08-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Hey KL 1368.. welcome to the forums and congrats on the new car...

With regards to your unbelievable lowering experience with John Blairs... I still can't believe that you would consider keeping the King springs over the Eibachs you were supposed to get. This dealer is trying to rip you off big time dawg!! Please please please don't pay $1000 for King springs and go get your money back okay?? John Blairs aren't the only dealers out there so don't be scared!! There are other ways to lower the car if the Eibachs won't fit on the 05 model. These forums are FILLED with info for you...

Don't take this shit from anyone!!
Go get your money back!!
Don't let the dealer get away with this!!
Stand up for what is right!!

Tell the dealer that everyone from ozhonda will boycott them if they don't wanna play ball!! ;)

OK rant over...

All the best and good luck with it...

Henry

toE
09-04-2005, 02:51 AM
This thread has turned from alarms to suspension! :(

Either talk about alarms or start a new thread concerning suspension. If the alarm discussion has ended, then refrain from posting.

Understandably you are new to this format KL1368, so for future purposes, please take heed.
:)

yfin
09-04-2005, 09:40 AM

Either talk about alarms or start a new thread concerning suspension. If the alarm discussion has ended, then refrain from posting.

Understandably you are new to this format KL1368, so for future purposes, please take heed.

Toe - he did refer to lowering in his first post - then the story came out re his dealer which everyone took interest. It would be much easier changing the subject line to say "Car Alarm for Euro / Lowering problems with dealer" - than starting a new thread. I am interested to know how this story ends..

industrie
09-04-2005, 09:57 AM
i wouldnt take the crap...my friends dad is good friends with the owner of john blair dealership...could have got you a bargain on an euro...anyhow thats bs..i wouldnt settle for that..tell them to replace it and get your money back...i mean king springs are fine to use..but to pay that amount for kings is stupid and a rip off..do drive around and get the springs out of the car and go somewhere else and get adjustable suspenision or something...not worth it...and dont be scared..your a customer..if you dont like them..take your car to another dealership..for service etc

KL1368
09-04-2005, 02:44 PM

Hi toE,

thanx for the advice, i was originally enquiring about upgrading my euro alarm, and euroaccord13 did advise me on this, but since then, the topic has progressed to my lowering issues with JB honda. this need to maintain warranty on my euro has turned out to be abit of a nightmare, so i've really appreciated everybody's thoughts and feedback. next time, i'll update the title and see if that creates a new thread! :)

cheers,
K.

toE
09-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Fair enough.

I've edited the title.

Carry on! :D

PNR888
10-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks toE for keep this thread alive.

KL1368: make sure you take our advises when speaking to your dealer tomorrow regarding refund on the wrongly fitted springs. Stand up tall, and dont put up with their non-sense.
Good luck and let us know how you go.

tegstar83
10-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Unfortunately honda dealers will try to rip anyone off and at the tiniest hint that u may be dumb about cars thell jump on the chance to make a killing.
just an example: Service on Integra 94 price: $700 what a rip theve probably only used max $150-$180 in parts and fluids and thats retail so itll cost them like $80 and prob 1-2hrs of labour with one mechanic. What a jib!

JohnnyBoy
11-04-2005, 03:44 PM
so what's the deal??

the wknd's over now.. did you ask for your $$$ back, and stock springs put back on??

Peekay34
11-04-2005, 05:42 PM
The Eibach springs will fit they are telling you a load of shite. I ordered springs for mine from kmac ($330) they are the same as the last model (I have an MY05 model). Do not pay for what you have been given. Though there is nothing wrong with Kings if you paid for Eibachs you should get them. I can get the full set of four springs (kings) for approx $170 + whatever it costs to fit. And yes you will need a camber kit (fulcrums costs approx $300 + fitting) The Eibachs a shite load more. You are being ripped off blind. For $990 I would have expected the camber kit and king springs at least as well. And still only be charged around $750. Get your money back and go some where else. BTW only reason I did not get Kings as they are lower than the Kmac springs and my insurance company would not allow it.

UNLS1
11-04-2005, 06:00 PM
such a good read people!

They day i get on here and see my work (Courtney & Patterson Honda) gettin a bad wrap ill cry lol!

But if sumthin like this does happen just let me know and ill sort it out personaly.....

Still workin out some kind of sponsorship with management...so far 10% disc has been agreed for forum members and more to come....

Will let u know when u guys can start using it!

Cheers James.. :wave:

yfin
11-04-2005, 06:11 PM
such a good read people!

They day i get on here and see my work (Courtney & Patterson Honda) gettin a bad wrap ill cry lol!

But if sumthin like this does happen just let me know and ill sort it out personaly.....

Still workin out some kind of sponsorship with management...so far 10% disc has been agreed for forum members and more to come....

This is great to hear James. You may even convince me to swap dealer - even with the drive to Heidelberg.

KL1368
11-04-2005, 06:16 PM
hi all, here's a quick update: i called the service manager today and asked for the factory springs to be reinstalled. he was ok about it and said he'd get back to me about time and amount of refund. i'm interstate for the next couple days, so i've decided its not worth losing any sleep over the matter. i'm going to let them decide how much they value me as a customer and if they try to d!ck me now then they can be pretty certain i won't ever come back. i then called the accessories manager at JB and expressed my appreciation for her assistance so far with the matter, and how much i'd like to maintain our good business relationship. the ball is in their park now, so i shall post again once it returns.

thanx again guys, really appreciate all your comments!

K.

KL1368
11-04-2005, 06:20 PM
such a good read people!

hi james,

if i'd have heard from you earlier, i may well have driven over to C&P honda heidelberg and bought my 05 euro lux off you, simply cos i like your attitude.

keep it up mate, you're doing honda a great service in PR.

regards,
K.

KL1368
11-04-2005, 06:27 PM
The Eibach springs will fit they are telling you a load of shite. I ordered springs for mine from kmac ($330) they are the same as the last model (I have an MY05 model). Do not pay for what you have been given. Though there is nothing wrong with Kings if you paid for Eibachs you should get them. I can get the full set of four springs (kings) for approx $170 + whatever it costs to fit. And yes you will need a camber kit (fulcrums costs approx $300 + fitting) The Eibachs a shite load more. You are being ripped off blind. For $990 I would have expected the camber kit and king springs at least as well. And still only be charged around $750. Get your money back and go some where else. BTW only reason I did not get Kings as they are lower than the Kmac springs and my insurance company would not allow it.

hey P, thanx for the info mate, i appreciate your comments. i like the look of your euro, very inspirational! but don't worry, i won't copy ya cos we're both in melb! will keep an eye out for ya on the road! :D

cheers,
K.

euro77
11-04-2005, 10:04 PM
such a good read people!

I hope by mid may it's finalised, cause I need to service my car :D
I used to live near Heidelberg.. but not any more.... don't mind though driving there.

Do you provide replacement car or free ride to city?

KL1368
17-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi all, finally some closure on the JB lowering saga: the service manager has increased his refund offer to $348 plus i get to keep the kings springs on the car as is. i've gotten used to the lowered look of the euro so i've accepted the deal. the final cost of lowering thus comes to $642, incl. wheel alignment and covered by honda warranty. thanx everyone for your inputs! cheers:D

yfin
17-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi all, finally some closure on the JB lowering saga: the service manager has increased his refund offer to $348 plus i get to keep the kings springs on the car as is. i've gotten used to the lowered look of the euro so i've accepted the deal. the final cost of lowering thus comes to $642, incl. wheel alignment and covered by honda warranty. thanx everyone for your inputs! cheers:D

Good for you - when you say covered by honda warranty - what does that include? eg - Blown shocks just before warranty expires?

pHiLix
17-04-2005, 04:32 PM
well well, what a coincidence. i had my lowered springs installed at donnellans at oakleigh as well.

went to visit another suspension joint 7 months later for another lowering job and the guy came to me and said "who installed your springs?" im like "donnellans" and his like "the dodgy ****s fitted the rear springs upside down"

never anymore will i go there.

KL1368
17-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Good for you - when you say covered by honda warranty - what does that include? eg - Blown shocks just before warranty expires?

i meant that my warranty won't become void because of vehicle modifications. my understanding is new vehicle warranties are typically void once you start modifying... am i right??? i'm assuming since honda service warrants the lowering, then my new car warranty won't be affected....... :confused:

yfin
17-04-2005, 07:52 PM
i meant that my warranty won't become void because of vehicle modifications. my understanding is new vehicle warranties are typically void once you start modifying... am i right??? i'm assuming since honda service warrants the lowering, then my new car warranty won't be affected....... :confused:

Not true - it depends on the issue and whether the mod contributed to the problem. Honda can't say, for example - your entire car warranty is void because you replace the gear shift knob.

The question I asked was more specific to your mod - it is not entirely uncommon for shocks to wear quicker on a car with shorter springs. I was just wondering whether they would cover a blown shock or will they say that it is wear and tear in your case.

PNR888
19-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Not true - it depends on the issue and whether the mod contributed to the problem. Honda can't say, for example - your entire car warranty is void because you replace the gear shift knob.

The question I asked was more specific to your mod - it is not entirely uncommon for shocks to wear quicker on a car with shorter springs. I was just wondering whether they would cover a blown shock or will they say that it is wear and tear in your case.

Very interesting delimma.
In my opinion, if the KL1368 has already paid higher than market price for a set of Kings at honda dealer to avoid warranty issue. Then that Honda dealer should be responsible if there is any premature shock failure. Coz we can argue that Honda dealer will not and SHOULD NOT put anything that will cause harm to other parts of the car. and that should include the shocks.

KL1368
19-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Very interesting delimma.
In my opinion, if the KL1368 has already paid higher than market price for a set of Kings at honda dealer to avoid warranty issue. Then that Honda dealer should be responsible if there is any premature shock failure. Coz we can argue that Honda dealer will not and SHOULD NOT put anything that will cause harm to other parts of the car. and that should include the shocks.

i hope you're right! :(