PDA

View Full Version : Civic Dilemma

DR.VTEC
06-01-2004, 11:04 PM
I don't know what to do I just purchased a 93 Si Civic which needs a bit of work. So its gonna need a paint job and a few body panels.
The problem is that I have always wanted a Skyline and have being saving for it for some time. I got the civic to fix up and make a bit of money. But now I'm real tempted to do up the civic full Jap racer style. I just don't know if I should keep the civic and do it up with the Skyline money or sell it n get my skyline.
I know I'm gonna get biased answers here but what do you guys think.
It's a long thread thanks for taking the time to read it.

bennjamin
06-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Simple...

b16b/b18c.... and CF HOOD/lip etc :D

Man...u know u want too :P

DR.VTEC
06-01-2004, 11:26 PM
yeah I got that feeling, but I wanted a skyline for as long as I remember.

luzinit
06-01-2004, 11:28 PM
mmm, were ur plates on a silver civic coupe vtir dude??
i remember something like it while i was shoppin for my car..!

mmm a jap racer civic is definitely more rare than all the skylines u see on the roads these days... even when i see a really clean one, it doesnt catch my attn like it used to..

so yeh! go the civic mate!

DR.VTEC
06-01-2004, 11:41 PM
yeah I used to have a Vti-R coupe but its long gone. Did you come and have a look at it? I might remember you. What car did you end up buying.

joneblaze
06-01-2004, 11:46 PM
mmm, were ur plates on a silver civic coupe vtir dude??
i remember something like it while i was shoppin for my car..!

mmm a jap racer civic is definitely more rare than all the skylines u see on the roads these days... even when i see a really clean one, it doesnt catch my attn like it used to..

so yeh! go the civic mate!

i agree! if u got cash for the R32 Omar, throw it into a gorgeous beast of an EG.... make it noticeable and respected in all the right ways! :P
hehe..Honda bias ;)
seriously tho... on the other hand R32's arent THAT common either, so i spose u could do one up real nice as well....hmm.... :roll:

XXpl0Sive
06-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Also, just my 2c, when you get a Rb20, keep in mind the age of the engine :)
Maintenance costs..

civicboy
07-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Skyline bro!

faster than civics ;) hehehehe

luzinit
07-01-2004, 12:15 PM
aww yeh.. r32's look nice still... not as common as r33, it'd be a tough decision hehe

dr vtec: nah i didnt go look at it, if i remember correctly, it was advertised for 19 990, a bit outta my range.. i ended up gettin a civic vtir hatch! could you pm me how much it was sold for, just outta curiosity.. hehe

NsX
07-01-2004, 02:29 PM
get a R34 GT-R
and ill be ya best friend

LatinoHatchCrap
07-01-2004, 03:05 PM
you'll get more respect with a nice/fast civic than with a skyline...

skoota
07-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Skyline for sure - no contest! :D :P

[[d a n n y]]
07-01-2004, 07:17 PM
mate civic rb20 will not catch u around the corners and mayb will be faster too if dont up the right way

Rowie
07-01-2004, 07:45 PM
civic or skyline? ....... on a honda forum :D

If push came to shove and I had the money, I would still get the civic and jap her up ;)

SIKCVC
07-01-2004, 07:53 PM
which skyline? how far are you gonna go with it? if your talking R33 GTR then **** the civic. but if your talking bass model crap then jap the crap outa the civic... its gonna kick any base model skyline round the twisties, especialy with a hybrid set up.

XXpl0Sive
07-01-2004, 08:31 PM
What's wrong with Japing up a Skyline? :)
Dorifto Spec...hahaha

vti-2
07-01-2004, 09:36 PM
I haven't read all the replies but i think you've missed an important question. Do you like the feel/handling of a high powered RWD or a torqueless FWD? Because that is the difference between a Civic and a Skyline. You are comparing two cars that are so different, they literally are two worlds apart.

My vote goes to the Civic. Why?
Compact, fuel efficient and a great chassis and engine with heaps of potential. And i'm biased.

You already have an EG right? What colour is it?

This is what you could do to it. Sure it's going to cost a lot of money but you will have one of the most unique EG's in your city if not Australia. And the money would be better spent here than on a Skyline.

Full N/A setup:
Engine/drivetrain: B18C engine swap, LSD, I/H/E, port and polish (you could increase the compression even), aftermarket quad throttle body, aggressive cams, aftermarket ECU (and so much more i can't think of right now)
Accessories/body: full colour coding, carbon fibre bonnet/mirrors/rear duckbill wing, front and rear lip, bucket seats, stripped out rear, small stereo system, sports steering wheel
Rims: 16" rims (Spoon, Mugen, Work, Rays Engineering)
Suspension: aftermarket front/rear strut bars, front/rear anti-sway bars, c-pillar torsion bar, b-pillar torsion bar, fully adjustable coil-overs, tie bar (and there's more!)

All up, you would have one of the best handling cars for the road and the track. You would eat a lot of cars on the street and shock a lot of mildly modded turbo's too. The car would look shit hot and the best part is the cops probably won't touch you cause they wouldn't know what they are looking at.

Why not the Skyline?
Because they are quite common now so you won't have a car that is as individual. A hybrid Civic is still a rarity in Australia. You will also get far more attention from the police which means you won't have more peace of mind when taking the car for a drive. Not only that, but apart from fact it has RWD and a turbo, there's nothing else that makes the Skyline that special.

Sure it is RWD, but if that is what you like you wouldn't have bought the Civic in the first place right? ;)

Hope that helps...

Setanta
07-01-2004, 09:59 PM
R32 if it's a GTR.

If it's not Godzilla then forget it and mod the Civic.

honda_fanatic
07-01-2004, 10:49 PM
All i can say is CIVIC CIVIC CIVIC!!!!
Listen to vti-2, and hybrid it up. Drvtec, wen u make a descion, dont forget to let us all know, id like to see what u end up with.
Cheers

Nuttz
07-01-2004, 11:08 PM
get the civic so u can keep your cool plates :)

also witha civic maybe do a sleeper look i reckon the cops wont hassle a standard looking civic like they would a standard looking skyline.

[[d a n n y]]
08-01-2004, 12:31 AM
get the civic so u can keep your cool plates :)

also witha civic maybe do a sleeper look i reckon the cops wont hassle a standard looking civic like they would a standard looking skyline.

true true respect bro respect :P

A'PEXi
08-01-2004, 12:36 AM
what type of skyline were you after?

mo
08-01-2004, 01:05 AM
hey vti-2, i thought b-pillar torsion bar is illegal to have on road car??

vti-2
08-01-2004, 08:06 AM

Which State is this in and for what reason is it illegal??

LatinoHatchCrap
08-01-2004, 09:20 AM
jdm civics are not so rare anymore...even swaps are becoming more common which is good for the scene but you'll def feel more satisfied with the EG prowling a b18c and other upgrades than a skyline...
my $0.02

VTEC16
08-01-2004, 11:27 AM
get the car you've always wanted.......so if it goes to shit you can say you followed your dream.

luzinit
08-01-2004, 11:50 AM

Which State is this in and for what reason is it illegal??

i thought this as well, coz whiteline dont put it on their product listing, but they put it in the purple civic for 'track purposes only'

2MPRSS
08-01-2004, 11:55 AM
yeh i know u drvtec u have a white 4 door right?and how much u want 4 ur plates?

DR.VTEC
08-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Thanks to all those who replied to my thread. This has not made things any easier for me though :? Especially as today I saw a H22a for a very good price. For those of you who wanted to know if I was to get a skyline it would be a R32 GTS-t Jap style. With engine mods such as F.M.I.C, boosted, computer chip, turbo back exhaust etc. . .
If I were to keep the civic I would have about $10k to spend on modifications.
The pluses I see for the Civic is newew engine(after conversion), light weight, more fuel efficent, better handeling and unique
But for the Skyline I see rear wheel drive, turbo power and the ease of being able to get more power out of it.

vti-2
08-01-2004, 06:30 PM
If you want power and have $10k to play with forget the Civic. It just doesn't cut it unless you boost it. Even then if you want to go fast $10k won't be enough to get a Civic 'fast'.

Get the Skyline. I can already see you getting bored with the Civic, cause you obviously want power, and plenty of it.

SIKCVC
08-01-2004, 06:35 PM
yeah i'd agree with that if you want decent usable street power not decent power to weight then a civic will be just too slow.

DR.VTEC
09-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Why isn't $10k enough? I can get a H22a or B18c conversion done for a good price and I will have over half my budget left to play with my car. Surely one of these engines will get the EG moving quick enough to satisfy my needs. What do you think the rest of the budget can be spent on? Anyone have any ideas???

bennjamin
09-01-2004, 03:59 PM
man...a b18c vtir engine , with all bits and peices swapped into hte mighty EG....about $7k From good performance ;) - good for 0-100 in mid 6 and mid 14 second 1/4 stock...the possible mods after are only limited by ur imagination...and budget ;)

But for say $3k ontop - full exhaust , CAI , aftermarket computer OR advance/retard timing etc... dont forget teh CF hood and JDM front lip Omar !

Jacko
10-01-2004, 11:35 PM
excuse my ignorance, im new to these boards.. but is the b18c out of a crv? whats the b18c out of??

IMO, if u want the looks keep the civic, if your after power then id go the skyline. just dont forget about the insurance ;) turbo = bad for insurance lol

I like skylines alot, but i also prefer the civic in a practical sense. cheap on fuel, cheap to get insurance, parts cost alot more than other cars though..

mo
11-01-2004, 02:01 AM
b18c is out of an intergra

Mitch M
11-01-2004, 10:41 AM
bit of a jump here ... sounds like BS to me

who choses between a Skyline and Civic ...

meh, anyways, you haven't even said which skyline

R32 GTS-t ... go for it :)

but as always, before you buy n e thing, check out the insurance ....

skoota
11-01-2004, 12:23 PM
true, true. I reckon either way each proposed car will = high insurance premiums. If you mod up a Civic to the shit than it of course is not stock and mods raise insurance. Plus Skyline is fast, powerfull and turbo increases insurance. I wouldn't b so sure that the Skyline would be HEAPS more $$ to cover than a moded up Civic with a B18C engine in it, it would b more but dunno how much more :?

DR.VTEC
11-01-2004, 02:28 PM
well after constantly thinking about it for the past few days I have decided I am going to sell the Civic and buy a R32 GTS-t ( maybe a R33 if I find a cheap one). Thanks to all of you who offered your suggestions, its just that $10k spent on the civic won't get it where I want and the money would be better spent on a skyline. I will do a Civic or Teg project one day but not just yet.

Jacko
11-01-2004, 02:50 PM
well after constantly thinking about it for the past few days I have decided I am going to sell the Civic and buy a R32 GTS-t ( maybe a R33 if I find a cheap one). Thanks to all of you who offered your suggestions, its just that $10k spent on the civic won't get it where I want and the money would be better spent on a skyline. I will do a Civic or Teg project one day but not just yet.

you should think about importing a skyline, save mega cash by doing it that way ;)

luzinit
11-01-2004, 04:15 PM
good luck with the sale and ur new project mate.. u've had a b16a powered car before so its not like u didnt know wot type of performance was to be expected with the eg + conversion (:

a mate of mine has the same cars to play with, r33 gtst and civic vtir and he loves the skyline so much more.. (:

DR.VTEC
13-01-2004, 06:19 PM
I wish I could afford to keep both :(

[[d a n n y]]
16-08-2004, 08:11 AM
screw the rb20
get a GTR lol
it's a hard choice
CIVIC or skyline.
anything other than GTR
i will get civic
:)

sesshoumaru
16-08-2004, 12:55 PM
yeah fair enough, sounds like you always really wanted a skyline :)

i would have said civic... just to be different... the honda scene is really taking off in aust imo ;)

JDM is the new fashion yo!