PDA

View Full Version : engine swap, engineer cert?

tomolicious
29-01-2014, 08:25 PM
hey guys, was looking at doing an engine swap and am thinking about importing my own engine from japan. how does registering it to the vehicle go? has anyone ever done this?

integraR
29-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Depends on engine and car

Mkx
16-02-2014, 12:10 PM
im in the middle of doing a swap myself.

my new powerplant is 2.4L up from 1.6L

according to the law if your upgrade is more then 25% of original then you must get engineering certificate if it is under u can swap no engi cert needed.

ex. 1.6L to 1.8L no probs - 1.6L to 2.4L requires engi cert

and you need a blue slip in all cases so the popo see you are legit and not rolling around in an unreg engine.

amant02
16-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I have. Keep the receipt and the tax invoice as proof. rest is the same as above. Quick blue slip and off to RTA with all the paper work and ur set.

dove grey 64
16-02-2014, 03:07 PM
If the engine you are putting in was an option for that chassis and it was offered for sale in Australia and you make the car exactly like the version eg. Ef gl>Ef sir then no, no cert needed.
If there is any custom fabrication then yes you do need a cert.
Its a bit of a grey area debating what the jdm vs adm versions had, hence why most of us ae86 owners get away with having 4age sprinters, even though they were never officially sold here.
General rule if thumb is, match eng, brakes and emissions with the jdm version and you shouldn't have issues.
Apart from all of that it's always best to call up vicroads and talk to them about it first.

dougie_504
17-02-2014, 04:08 PM
dove is right.

Generally if the engine wasn't available in your car for the Australian market, then you need an engineering certificate.

Somebody you can BS your way through VicRoads.

But that's the law.