PDA

View Full Version : Type R Replacement Front and Rear Brake pads

MichaelPine
07-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Hi Guys,

first post after I got a quote from the dealer doing a service today, has sad Front/Rear brake pads/rotors need to be replaced, I won't say the exact cost but it is some just shy of $2000, which kind of took me back a bit.

I have spoken to CRS Automotive and the price they are telling me is a considerable amount cheaper.

So just wondering how much difference in quality is there between Genuine Honda Parts and other parts ? I need to call back CRS, but would they use Genuine, does it really matter that much ?

Any other places I should contact ?

Any particular brands I should look at to consider other than the genuine parts ?

cheers
Michael

Type FN
07-02-2014, 10:07 AM
rotors dba $400 for a set of front, $360 for a set of rear, pads about $300 in total, get the parts, put them in yourself (if not find a garage that can put them in for cheap, time takes is about 1-2 hours) so 200-300 bucks for labour.

MichaelPine
07-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah I won't be doing it myself (LOL), just one of those people, better to be left to someone who knows what they are doing, cool, sounds good and these "dba" rotors, you would consider them to be on par, not quite as good or better than "Honda Genuine Parts" ?

So to put it in perspective, I don't go racing this car and slamming the brakes on while doing you know 180 km/h expecting to stop in 2 seconds, would I really notice the difference in using supposedly lesser parts than genuine parts ?

cheers
Michael

bennjamin
07-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Definitely get OEM pads front and rear.
You can use DBA , RDA or other aftermarket solid replacement rotors for a considerable less price than quoted

curtis265
07-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Rotors should not cost a lot to get reasonable quality blanks. - $2000 is highway robbery.

MichaelPine
07-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Thank you all very much for the feedback, re-assuring me a little bit more, I am just struggling to justify that cost and I will be asking them today what their warranty is on genuine parts and if it is the same as after market
parts I will be giving them an earful, after the whole, "Well they are manufactured better, contain better material, bla bla bla"

Stevil
07-02-2014, 11:59 AM
DBA do a budget rotor which should be < $200 for the fronts and < $200 for the rears, Pads ya choice is end less !! expect to pay < $200 for the F & R Pads. So all up Im guess < $600 + Labour, may aswell flush the brake fluid. All up $700-800.

curtis265
07-02-2014, 01:15 PM
'Better' is a subjective term.

Grayfox
07-02-2014, 04:38 PM
The chaps on civinfo say the Redstuffs are good with the FN2
http://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/

VT3C
07-02-2014, 09:09 PM
sounds like standard 'Service Adviser' talk to me.. I'd take to an independent mechanic you trust and ask them to inspect the brakes if you think there is anything actually wrong with them. Are they squealing / shuddering / fading etc ?

Service Advisers have target 'up-sell' amounts to meet per every 'standard service'. If they ever tell you your fuel injectors are clogged and need a carbon treatment.. walk out the door immediately. the Brake rotors are another common up-sell, also 'Transmission flush' is generally only necessary at Service Book Recommended intervals (unless track or spirited driving etc.).. always check what is in your Service Book and if they try and push you into anything else, always be sceptical.

FYi, $630 SPOON Brake pads Front and Rear for FN2 shipped ;)

MichaelPine
08-02-2014, 03:21 PM
It took me completely by surprise, I felt nothing at all wrong with the brakes that was partly why I was taken aback, I was like what, brakes need replacing, WHat the! which again I don't mind, but I also don't like being taken advantage of, guy had such a shit attitude as well.

So I looked on DBA site and the reason why I was asking about warranty with them was that on the DBA site it mentioned a 12 month warranty against manufacturing defects, when I asked at Honda it was, "There is not warranty on wearing parts". Confusing, seem to be going through a phase of just about everything I own at the moment needs money replacing things :) So just not willy nilly spending.

curtis265
09-02-2014, 11:55 AM
DBA's warranty is against warping and cracking failure. the guy probably didn't understand what you might've been referring to, and assumed you meant wrranty against thinning out.

You'll never feel anything wrong with your brakes even if they are too thinned out, you might hear the pads running low but that's about it

stndrd
09-02-2014, 04:08 PM
For 2k you may as well put a big brake kit on.

I can supply Project Mu pads & rotors if you are interested.

Also it will be very hard to get warranty on brakes as they are a wear & tear item and there is too man variables for and against to get a legit warranty claim happening

MichaelPine
09-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Oh yeah I realise that, just the whole experience has been a little disappointing, might just let the dealership know, sure they won't really care. CRS so far have been pretty good, I will chat with one of the owners Tuesday I think, find out what rotors/pads they are going to use and get them to have a look at the car.

MichaelPine
09-02-2014, 07:58 PM
For 2k you may as well put a big brake kit on.

I can supply Project Mu pads & rotors if you are interested.

Also it will be very hard to get warranty on brakes as they are a wear & tear item and there is too man variables for and against to get a legit warranty claim happening

I realise that I am not expecting a warranty against wear, however, most reputable companys will offer a warranty against manufacturing defect, remember it is pretty easy to see if something has died from wear or something has failed catastrophically :) At the moment, definitely leaning towards after market stuff.

Mikeyy168
21-02-2014, 12:19 AM
i wouldnt recommend DBA rotors. had them on for about 30000km and they thinned out - less then 1mm left on the slots.. -_-"

didnt even track the car.

but go and have a look on the rest of the forum in the traders section - or even the parts for sale section... will be surprised on what you find if you're patient.

curtis265
21-02-2014, 08:12 AM
You were obviously using abrasive pads then...

Mikeyy168
21-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Ferodos ds2500

u mad?
22-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Ferodos ds2500

How many if any track days? because i have the same setup on my integra and i have shitload of meat left after over 2 years of street driving. plenty of 200kmh+ stops, lots of mountain driving. Besides track work i have no idea how you managed to wear them out so quickly!

Edit- i see no track work, what series are the rotors? 4000 series i take it?

edit again- fukin retard i am lol, i read it as 3000km. i'd be ok with 30k kms out a set of rotors, i've got 45k kms on mine, reckon i've got at least another 15k kms left.