PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic Em1 recommend wheel Specifications

illestgaijin
20-02-2014, 06:02 AM
hey guys im looking to purchase new wheels, and i recently went to look at some xxr 527 16x8.25, and the guy said they will stick out my guards which is defectable so i didnt buy them.

are the maximum rim width 8? without sticking out the guard?

and i would like to know a good tyre size for 17" and 16" if you guys could help :)

Many Thanks!

Hondarally
20-02-2014, 02:21 PM
2 things:

Firstly, the rim offset will have just as big an impact on whether it sticks out past the guard as will the rim width. Stock offset is about +40mm. If you're going to change that a lot then you'll run into trouble with the rim poking out too far, specially with wide rims.

Secondly, the tyre usually sticks out past the rim, unless you've got some silly stretch going on (eg 155's on a 8"rim). If the tyres are properly matched to the rim, then the tyre will be the deciding factor. Eg on the back of my EK, a 225 tyre on a 7"rim (+35) won't fit without rubbing the guard, whereas a +40 rim or 205 tyre on the +35 rim will both fit OK.

I haven't personally played around with very wide rims on an EK / EM, so can't say what the widest combo that you can fit will be. There will be others who have done this and may be able to offer some real world experience. Just remember, you need to consider the rim width, offset and tyre width to determine whether they will fit. Not just how wide the rims are.

Unless you're putting down some massive power, I can't imagine the need for a tyre wider than 225, in which case an 8"rim is about as wide as you're likely to need (even a 7"wide rim will be OK with that size tyre). As for tyre sizes, remember that you legally can't change the rolling diameter of the tyre by more than 13mm from factory (either up or down). Once you start playing with 17"rims, you need to look at fairly low profile rubber. A 205/40 or 215/40 17 will be pretty close to the factory 195/55x15 (assuming that's what your car originally came with). If you want to go as wide as 225, then even a 40 series may be too tall to be legal. With 16's, then a 225/40 should be fine. Even a 225/45 might be OK

mattsrea
20-02-2014, 03:21 PM
7inch with an offset more then 30 on 205/50s will sit flush. 195/50s will tuck a little (both will scrub if your car is lowered with soft springs and you have a full load in the car)
I heard 8inch with an offset more then 30 with the appropriate tyre size will also sit flush too (im pretty sure IEVAQ8 had 16x8 and he told me it sat flush)

If your looking for track then Hondarally makes a good point. If your looking for the hellah flush without being defected then look for the wheels with a high offset.

But yeah max for ej/em's would be 8inch with an offset more then 30 is good. And i wouldn't go anymore then 16inch for em1's wheels will be too big, stick to 15s or 16s.

I'm rolling on 15x7 +25 on 205/50s on my ej8 and it defs needed guard roll. Natural camber didn't help. But now its all fine and cops don't even bother looking at my wheels.

Mkx
21-02-2014, 07:26 PM
wouldn't go more then 16x7 if your springs aren't stiff when full load.

top of wheel scrapes the insides and guard (stock 20+ year old springs) - replaced front and rears with king springs std+ perfect. full load no scraping no more rubber burn smell.

wheels are 205-50-16

i know someone with 18 - says don't get too big 15 or 16 are the way to go on eg ek em1

Spoon-Accord
05-03-2014, 04:32 AM
I had 16x8's with +32 offset running 195-45-16 tyres and that just cleared the rear guards (mind you guards were rolled)

Anything above the size's above, will require guard rolling and some sort of camber adjustment to accommodate

Try and find some 8 inch wide wheels, I found that they were a good width with just enough poke without going stupid with camber and guard pumping