PDA

View Full Version : low exhaust problem

soul4real
07-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Here's my scenario:
I just bought a new exhaust for my car, a HKS Hiper with a high flow cat. It is very low because my car is lowered already, its just under 50mm off the ground. I got a defect notice for it.
I took it to a suspension place, they said I need to raise it 60mm to get it to legal limit, 100mm. They said for my car to get to stock height, i would only need a 30mm raise, and i probably couldn't get springs for a 60mm raise for my car.

Can anyone confirm this ?
Should I swap exhausts, take it to vicroads ( I'm in Victoria btw ), get it cleared and throw my exhaust back on and raise it the extra 30mm so it doesn't look as low ? I guess my only other options are to modify the exhaust or sell it and get a different one.

Spunkymonkey
07-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Do you have the stock exhaust you can chuck back on?

soul4real
07-01-2004, 11:32 AM
i should be able to get access to a stock exhaust

jenova
07-01-2004, 11:36 AM
the hks hiper and apexi n1 has the piping to go under the axle, btw what car is it? u need to look at the buddyclub, spoon or fgk for the piping that go over the axle.

soul4real
07-01-2004, 11:40 AM
94 Integra vti-r
Yea the piping goes under and the exhaust tip points upwards

joneblaze
07-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Sorry to hijack, but if fitting an N1 onto a DC2, does the piping HAVE to be underaxle? I'm considering N1 Apexi muffler for my dc2, but she's very low as it is..... :roll:

vti-2
07-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Sorry to hijack, but if fitting an N1 onto a DC2, does the piping HAVE to be underaxle? I'm considering N1 Apexi muffler for my dc2, but she's very low as it is..... :roll:

To answer the hijacking question. :D

No it doesn't have to be underaxle. If you look under your car you will see there's room for overaxle piping. ;) Anything's possible, custom piping is easily made up and fairly cheap.

Back on topic though...

jenova
07-01-2004, 02:27 PM

unless u get the us version of apexi n1 that goes over the axle. or go custom made piping and u route it anywhere u like, even below the front bumper :D

olda
07-01-2004, 02:57 PM
The reason for some c/b exhausts to go u/axle is to keep the piping as straight as possible.
Less bends, less restriction - more power!!! 8) 8) 8)

dcii_sir
07-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi dude, I had a HKS Hiper on my integra vtir. It was sitting reallly low to the ground as well and I scrapped almost everything on the road.. I had it for about 6 months .. when one day I was driving on Queens Street in the city.. I had 3 passengers + me in the car and went through a little dip on the road.. the whole piping hit the road, twisted and fell off and my car was dragging it.. that sucks big time.. had to tie up and drive home like that.. :D The whole muffler and the piping was unusable after that.. so had to put a stock muffler back..

P.S Mine was the hiper designed to bolt on to a dc2... so yeah. unless u change the piping, theres nothing u can do.

joneblaze
07-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Ahh... i see. thanks for that. i just got abit confused with all the underaxle talk... i was pretty sure the muffler could be fitted either over/under.

soul4real
07-01-2004, 11:54 PM
*mental note: don't take passengers to queen st*

What do you think it would cost me to get a custom pipe to temporarily go over the axle so I can clear my defect notice. That would raise the tip, but what about the cat converter and the other muffler/resonator, any ideas anyone ?

A'PEXi
08-01-2004, 12:39 AM
i recon you should sell it off, get a new one or use the stock one :P.... your always going to have problems driving a defectable car.... not enjoyable

soul4real
08-01-2004, 12:54 AM
But I just bought it like less than a month ago.
It's scratched slightly as well so I reckon I would lose a couple hundred already just for that.

totti
08-01-2004, 10:01 PM
just fit some stock springs on, then swap them back when your done!

soul4real
09-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Well the guy at the the suspension place reckons that putting it back to stock height won't be enough, that's why i'm trying to think of other ways of doing it.

civicboy
09-01-2004, 12:14 AM
damn...i know how u feel mang, all i can say do wat d defect notice says coz they wont clear it unless u did wat it said there.

goodluck bro

soul4real
14-01-2004, 10:09 AM
I went to see evo r and had a chat with them and they agreed that the cheapest way would be to put the stock exhaust on, get the defect cleared, then put my HKS back on. I thought evo r might still have my old exhaust because I just got it done not long before the holidays but apparently it is gone, so I started calling up a few wreckers. I got quoted 99 for the middle section and 99 for the muffler, I think the guy was pulling numbers out of his ass, what do you guys reckon ? Or is that a good price ? I honestly wasn't looking to spend more than $100 because it's not use to me afterwards.

bennjamin
14-01-2004, 11:25 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pe131b6d502f5a103bd9dc69584ac13be/fa44d1d6.jpg

Here is my under axle setup on my old EG hatch - as u can see - it was about 50mm MAX from the ground ;) Funky and fast - but not too good across ANY bump :P

BTW dood - HOW LOW is your car for the overaxle piping to be 40mm from the ground ??? Jeebus ! Show us a pic !

soul4real
15-01-2004, 02:09 AM
http://www.users.on.net/sereikeo/low_exhaust.jpg
http://www.users.on.net/sereikeo/hks.jpg

So you can see from the pic that it's just under 50mm off the ground.

How low was your exhaust from the ground ? It looks pretty low as well.

poweredbyhonda
15-01-2004, 12:15 PM
You have to go over the axle. I got a custom 3" on my V-tir and trust me there is room. You might want to make the exhaust sit normal rather than the ricey look.

bennjamin
15-01-2004, 05:51 PM
So you can see from the pic that it's just under 50mm off the ground.

How low was your exhaust from the ground ? It looks pretty low as well.

I can see that your car wasnt lowered too much at all - BUT that is a HUGE ass muffler lol - is it a HKS Super dragger ? As u can see by my pic - mine is a Apexi n1 , with actual under axle piping, which was about 50mm from the ground ;) Top power...but entirely not worth it :(

Just go hi-flow madrel bent over axle ;)

soul4real
15-01-2004, 11:51 PM
The axle is not much higher than the tip either.
It's a HKS Hiper.

soul4real
18-01-2004, 11:15 PM
http://www.users.on.net/sereikeo/back.jpg

How much do you think it's been lowered by?

I originally thought they had eibach sportsline springs because my shocks are bilsteins but apparently they don't make those springs for my car and the guy reckons they are pedders because they're red in color.

soul4real
19-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Anyone know how much an exhaust shop would charge to swap over my exhaust, then swap it back again ? Just an estimate price.

$550 for king springs fitted, is that reasonable or are people getting them much cheaper ?

soul4real
20-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Evo r are charging $60 each time I replace the exhaust.