PDA

View Full Version : Accord Euro 2009 Auto or 2007? (Problems with 09 model 8th Gen)

Para777
23-02-2014, 11:28 AM
SORRY MODS posted this in the wrong section earlier.

Hi guys,

I have now decided to buy the accord euro 2009 Auto (pref Luxury model). But I have heard a lot about the problem with engine oil consumption and the ping noise from the engine. Also there seems to be an issue with the ATF ( Automatic Transmission Fluid) which leads to the transmission overheating. [Also I believe not all cars have these problems]

Initially I was not looking at spending too much money and wanted to stick with 06ish model. But I thought may be I can invest money in a better, problem free car.

I am now in a dilemma as to which one to go for! IS there is foolproof way to check a 08-09 (8th Gen) model for the above issues to avoid buying a lemon?

Much appreciate the help

Cheers.

BigBen
23-02-2014, 03:02 PM
you need solid proof that that the transmission has been regularly service, not just a nice stamp in the service book. Records such as receipts for the proper Honda ATF would be ideal. If the car has been service through Honda then the tranny fluid will only get flush at 120,000km, ie it will never been done.

Para777
23-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks very much for the reply Bigben..so you mean the tranny fluid is scheduled to be changed only at 120K ?? That means if it had been done before there is a problem?

Rooster
23-02-2014, 05:01 PM
No, it should be done before, every 60k is ideal
Honda made an error with the long interval

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?154787-CL9-amp-CU2-You-got-Automatic-transmission-*you-ll-WANT-to-read-this*

Para777
23-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks Rooster,

Sorry I am a little slow in these things. So my understanding is that if there have been services done before 60k DOES that mean that there is an issue with the transmission? (The issue being the reason the guy is getting so many services done?)

Rooster
23-02-2014, 06:30 PM
No, what we are saying is that the 120k interval for ATF change is way too long. So if you were to buy a Euro today, at say 80K, the best thing you can do is change your ATF fluid completely with new fluid.
If the car has always been serviced at Honda, it is likely the ATF has not been changed as the logbook states for a 120k interval. Unless the previous owner has already done so, or Honda themselves have suggested to change it during a major service.

The best thing would be to ask the current owner about it and if they have done it. If it hasn't been done, just get it changed. Take it for a test drive and see how the gear shifts, and if it jerks at all between gears 1 and 2. I bought my 03 at 103k and I don't think it has been changed before so I got it changed with Penrite FS

Jasemas
23-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Get a Euro with low kms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Do the ATF fluid change
And get a magnafine inline filter to replace the old oem one
And you're dreaming

Para777
23-02-2014, 08:56 PM
No, what we are saying is that the 120k interval for ATF change is way too long. So if you were to buy a Euro today, at say 80K, the best thing you can do is change your ATF fluid completely with new fluid.
If the car has always been serviced at Honda, it is likely the ATF has not been changed as the logbook states for a 120k interval. Unless the previous owner has already done so, or Honda themselves have suggested to change it during a major service.

The best thing would be to ask the current owner about it and if they have done it. If it hasn't been done, just get it changed. Take it for a test drive and see how the gear shifts, and if it jerks at all between gears 1 and 2. I bought my 03 at 103k and I don't think it has been changed before so I got it changed with Penrite FS

Thank you kindly sir..I get it now :)

Any advice regarding the ping from the engine?

Para777
23-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks Jasemas Will do,

So by low kms will 70-80K fall in low kms category? I saw one for 150K and was going for $15,999 I think its not a good buy.

Another thing slightly off the topic (sorry) is that I seem to find most Accords Euros to be overpriced! A brand New one (Auto) is 32k and I see 4-5yrs old ones going for 27K ish!! Wow

BigBen
23-02-2014, 09:15 PM
I did a complete tranny 3 x 3 flush at 30k and will be doing at every 30k. Could be an overkill but the ATF fuilds is so cheap and so easy to do the flush why risk the tranny by not doing it more often?

Jasemas
23-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Pinging can be helped by using 98
And i think Honda has a kind of software update for the euro's pinging problem
And yes Euro's hold their value really really well
It's the only Honda out of their current line up that's made in Japan

Jasemas
23-02-2014, 09:18 PM
I did a complete tranny 3 x 3 flush at 30k and will be doing at every 30k. Could be an overkill but the ATF fuilds is so cheap and so easy to do the flush why risk the tranny by not doing it more often?

I hope you mean drain and fill :D

I CU2
23-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Is the transmission failure as bad as people say - I don't recall one 4 cylinder Euro thread on here where it has actually failed. I had the fluid changed just incase though :p

The CU2 was rated as the UK's more reliable car when it first came out and currently ranks at #9 which includes failures of early CU2's. CL9's would be reliable too - same running gear, get something with low KM's and that you like.

Jasemas
23-02-2014, 10:09 PM
What you need to realise is that the normal accord and euro share the same Auto INCLUDING THE v6
So our k24 sin't going to hurt it - but the v6 rips the thing apart

Edit: The 6th gen accord cg5/6 were the start of Honda's Auto transmission failures
And has kind of snowballed to an extent from there
The 4th and 5th gen Accords AT's were very reliable

Para777
23-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Haha the 3 trannies ... thanks very much for the info guys.

Just wondering if every transmission would have this problem if its not been serviced regularly or is it only on some of the cars? Is it more like a hit and miss thing?

On the same note I assume the pinging also would only happen on certain cars.

Rooster
23-02-2014, 10:27 PM
You should still replace the fluid regardless

Para777
23-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Cheers Rooster understood. So unfortunately no magic wand which could help me identify the troublesome car from the normal one :(

Jasemas
23-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Haha the 3 trannies ... thanks very much for the info guys.

Just wondering if every transmission would have this problem if its not been serviced regularly or is it only on some of the cars? Is it more like a hit and miss thing?

On the same note I assume the pinging also would only happen on certain cars.

Ding Ding Ding
90% of the Euro's are owned by people who know next to nothing about cars and drive em
Out of all the euro adds i've seen on gumtree, A handful had the ATF serviced regularly
When driving the car, listen to the engine rev (pinging will usually occur after the engine has gone from load 3000rpm to 1000rpm) you'll hear/feel it
When the car shifts take note of rpms and if it was silky smooth, if rough - due for an ATF & filter service
When coasting to a stop, if the transmission 'clunks' while downshifting it's not a good sign
I've been on the marker/sussing out the euro scene for a while now

Fredoops
23-02-2014, 11:36 PM
It's let's got low Kay's you should be fine.

Do a full 3x3 "flush" when you get the car and then just do a 1x1 every 2nd service or something.

And replace the transmission filter every major service (I'll probably get a stock of them sent to me so I can sell it on eBay for cheap.... Honda wants $60 for the friggin thing)

Para777
24-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Ding Ding Ding
90% of the Euro's are owned by people who know next to nothing about cars and drive em
Out of all the euro adds i've seen on gumtree, A handful had the ATF serviced regularly
When driving the car, listen to the engine rev (pinging will usually occur after the engine has gone from load 3000rpm to 1000rpm) you'll hear/feel it
When the car shifts take note of rpms and if it was silky smooth, if rough - due for an ATF & filter service
When coasting to a stop, if the transmission 'clunks' while downshifting it's not a good sign

Learning Time!! lol well it appears I am in that 90% of people at this stage but I do want to educate myself more. Thanks again mate... BTW I am in Perth too. Do you have any Accord Euro enthusiasts get together at all Jasemas? I would really like to have a chat and get to know more in person before I go out and spend all that money ( I have never bought a car in this price range before)

Cheers mate

Jasemas
24-02-2014, 10:22 AM
All good mate
here you go
They should be able to help you out
https://www.facebook.com/groups/168875236634858/?fref=ts

bLINDfREDDY
04-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Ding Ding Ding

My first post - I'm in the market for an 8th Gen Accord Euro Luxury, spending 20/23 grand. Plan on keeping the car for 10 years, and will do low k's (<10k pa).

I have yet to see an ad on gumtree or carsales (in WA) that mentions the ATF fluid has been changed regularly (or even at all).
So I have to limit myself to a car with a max of (say) 60,000km, any more than that and I am risking catastrophic transmission failure down the track???

Got to wonder if I'd be better off with something else!

I CU2
04-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Don't worry, this isn't that das auto brand.

Jasemas
04-04-2014, 11:54 PM
Dem DSG issues

ChaosMaster
06-04-2014, 11:21 AM
My first post - I'm in the market for an 8th Gen Accord Euro Luxury, spending 20/23 grand. Plan on keeping the car for 10 years, and will do low k's (<10k pa).

I have yet to see an ad on gumtree or carsales (in WA) that mentions the ATF fluid has been changed regularly (or even at all).
So I have to limit myself to a car with a max of (say) 60,000km, any more than that and I am risking catastrophic transmission failure down the track???

Got to wonder if I'd be better off with something else!

If you read this thread, it'll explain in detail the issues of the ATF:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?154787-CL9-amp-CU2-You-got-Automatic-transmission-*you-ll-WANT-to-read-this*

In summary, the OEM ATF used was substandard, and would wear out way before 120k km for which the service book suggests it should be changed. It affects mainly the high torque engines, i.e. the V6, however the K24 is the torquiest 4 cylinder that Honda makes, so it's better safe than sorry. To answer your question though, if you purchase a car that's done 60k km, then the ATF should still be in reasonable condition, so no damage should have been caused (unless the previous owner thrashed the hell out of it). Just make sure you do a flush every 60k km and you'll be fine. Most of the guy's here are fairly spirited drivers (myself included) which is why we suggest/do ATF changes ever 20-30k km, and we use only full synthetic performance oils and filters in our cars.

Jasemas
06-04-2014, 04:30 PM
I change my atf twice a year at least
I'm a bit anal about it, and i dont have the 5spd lol