PDA

View Full Version : Desperate! Built B16 EM1, new head gasket/timing belt... now running super rich??

kraiye
24-02-2014, 10:52 AM
My car's been off the road for ages and it's totally destroyed my passion for it :(

I had 4 bent exhaust valves replaced, new head gasket, timing belt and one of those thick, anti heat soak intake gaskets (not my 1st preference but I got it for next to nothing). Could this affect the tune? (Hondata S300)

Now there's heaps of fumes coming out the exhaust and won't even come close to passing rego. The timing marks all line up when stationary - it hasn't been checked with a light while running though. It seems to idle at the right speed, just really fumey.

Any ideas what can cause this? Vacuum leak? FPR maybe?? Faulty injectors?

Please help. Any suggestions welcome. I'm at the point of throwing in the towel!

ECU-MAN
24-02-2014, 12:33 PM
does the engine actually run smoothly or is it really rough

sounds like you have the TPS and MAP crossed over

kraiye
03-03-2014, 08:03 AM
runs reasonably smooth - driveable up to about 60-70% throttle but lags at WOT. A mechanic who lives nearby suggested a faulty MAP sensor, but it was giving a reading of about -7 it idle so I think it's ok.

RenzokukenJ
03-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Maybe Egr port clogged with carbon if you left it for too long

ECU-MAN
03-03-2014, 01:44 PM
B16A does not have EGR

kraiye
03-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks ECU man.
I went over the vacuum lines and visually inspected and cleaned O2 sensor and spark plugs (they got a bit sooty) but nothing else appeared abnormal.
Going to call EFI performance down the gold coast tomorrow and see if they can have a look. God knows how i'll pay for it but it's gotta be done lol! I don't really have troubleshooting equipment :(
(Triple 9 was recommended to me and is closer but didn't like my last experience with them)

Mkx
10-03-2014, 04:16 PM
oh i use to have my engine running rich black smog with lag in acceleration and get cel when hitting 80km/hr +

was puzzled for a month did a google search found out on some other forums from usa possible culprit was dying o2 sensor

i replaced it and no problems ever since been over a year now

but you can never be sure i checked map sensors and spark plug o rings before changing

kraiye
12-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Cheers. How do you check that your MAP is working properly?

Mkx
12-03-2014, 09:18 AM
need a multimeter, vacuum pump, wire piercing probe and scan tool

there are some youtube vids which you could check out how to do it

or if you know someone with the same car part you swap and try theirs - lucky me have a few mates with the same car

usually you would get a cel if the map is gone bad - vacuum leaks in most cases would give off a cel

or you could try junk yards probably get it for free - when i was there got a few late model map sensors for free as a back up for my original

ECU-MAN
12-03-2014, 04:35 PM
You don't actually need a scan tool to test the MAP sensor, also I have never seen vacuum leaks cause a CEL, vacuum leaks cannot be detected by the ECU.

Mkx
13-03-2014, 10:20 PM
my bad i meant vacuum leaks in most cases would not give off a cel