PDA

View Full Version : warning lights on dash. ECU fault? help.....

virgoz
27-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Hi guys,

sorry, noob here.

My wife has an '05 Euro Luxury. when driving now, the dash warning lights (ABS, Brake, VSA, etc) come up and stay on. Sometimes only after 10 min of driving, but the car still continues to handle normally. Then the Engine warning light comes on and the car starts running bad and "surging" when stopped at the lights and idling.
Any ideas?
Is the ECU knackered? (where on earth is it???) . Got a Honda mechanic telling me he can replace it for $3000. That scares the hell out of me.
thx
Tim26459

Jasemas
27-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Don't take it to Honda
Go see Josh @ Sleeping performance
He owns a garage south east of melbourne and can help you with your car

axispower
27-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Jesus Christ. Yeah I've heard good things about Josh @ Sleeping Performance. He is a user on here as well - 'stndrd' or something is his name.

virgoz
28-02-2014, 08:33 AM
thnx guys. will look him up. no way im going back to a dealership again.

btw, where the heck is the ecu located anyway???

axispower
28-02-2014, 08:55 AM
I will find out this afternoon when I see my mechanic. I need to find out where it is anyway as well because I'm getting it reflashed next week.

virgoz
28-02-2014, 09:13 AM
thx man! may be exactly what i need...

Jasemas
28-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Most likely behind/under the glove box

noobies
28-02-2014, 12:57 PM
The ECU is located under the centre console compartment area.

Access is via the plastic panel in sides of footwell.

Here's a guide:
http://www.hondata.com/tsx_ecu_removal.html

Just a note that's the American TSX so the ECU placement is flipped
Meaning the plugs "side" of our ECU is on the passenger side footwell etc.

Fredoops
28-02-2014, 01:30 PM
dont thing thats an ECU/Engine problem..... cause if it is you should be getting the CEL not the ABS/brake lights

do a code read, probably the braking system has issue somewhere

virgoz
01-03-2014, 09:22 AM
you guys are the best. thx :)

cheapdouchebag
03-03-2014, 12:17 AM
generally with hondas, make sure you get the HDS codes. not normal obd2 P0xx codes (they dont tell you much). then HDS code in relation to the make n model of the car will tell you the problems same models have had issues with in the past.

tony1234
05-03-2014, 06:50 PM
generally with hondas, make sure you get the HDS codes. not normal obd2 P0xx codes (they dont tell you much). then HDS code in relation to the make n model of the car will tell you the problems same models have had issues with in the past.
^^^As above.Sounds like it's the accelerator pedal position sensor.A short term fix is to disconnect the positive terminal on the battery for 5-10 mins then reconnect.

littlebo
06-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Read CEL first with any scanner , its way more better than divination on cofee mud. And let us know wth after you fix it. When all dash is flashing then it may be dead battery or dead alternator.

noel
20-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Hi, All
A writer to the Daily Telegraph's Ask Smithy page said his Euro's ECU had been killed by an invasion of tiny black ants, which loved the shellac used to seal the motherboard. I've also had a problem with ants, after using Wax As U Dry on my Toyota Avalon.

After drying, the ants came out in force, apparently from the engine bay and up the windscreen pillar to the turret. They were thick!!! It took a very good shot of surface spray to get rid of them from the paintwork, but still they came back next wash/wax, despite a lavish hit of spray around the engine bay. I never established their hideout; under the bonnet was quite clean.

I've also lost two illuminated house-number signs to the pesky little delights; seems they like the gunk on the electronic board, too. Problem is, that there is no sign of them on the outside of the unit, until it's dismantled and there they are - hundreds of them.

So, it seems I had better check on the ECU, using the link supplied by Noobies.

CHEERS
NOEL
BTW Smithy's correspondent said replacing the ECU was a $1500 exercise.
BTW2 Why did I use Wax As U Dry? The Avalon had very soft paint and the product provided a slippery surface for drying; Worked well.

Fredoops
21-03-2014, 08:44 PM
BTW Smithy's correspondent said replacing the ECU was a $1500 exercise.

new yes

go to a wrecker, pick up an ecu, then drive to honda dealer to replace if you can

should be done within 400.