PDA

View Full Version : Euro DC5R Gearknob installed.

stephen8512
05-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey guys
I finally got my gearknob installed. it arrived today. Im SOOOOO happy with the purchase :D
Its soooooo much heavier than stock leather one and when shifting, it just seems to "click" into place. sooo cool :wave:

I bought it off ebay from Acura of Escondido parts. I REALLY REALLY recommend these guys. AWESOME delivery time and VERY QUICK email replies.

I'll post some pics of the knob soon

D16Y
05-04-2005, 10:32 PM
good to hear buddy.
just dun forget to post up pics lol

yfin
05-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Good for you mate - my favourite mod so far. :thumbsup:

Here it is on mine - I think most people have seen the pics

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/508/620DSC01434.jpg

stephen8512
05-04-2005, 10:55 PM
yes and btw. thanks a LOT to yfin. :D he's the one who recommended me ACURA OF ESCONDIDO pple.
thanks again for the tip mate :D owe ya one :thumbsup:

wynode
05-04-2005, 11:12 PM
How much is the knob and does it screw onto the standard shifter?

Also does it only fit the euro ?: D

yfin
05-04-2005, 11:24 PM
I only pointed you in the right direction - it was Baboo's great idea to try the DC5R knob from the RSX. :D Thanks Baboo :thumbsup: That is the great thing about Ozhonda. Sharing ideas and contacts.

Wynode - it is bloody cheap - it is only around $65 shipped to Australia! And it isn't a copy - it is a genuine Honda part and comes boxed nicely. Someone was saying on this forum Honda parts in Australia want a couple hundred for the DC5R knob. Just order it from the USA! Those yanks get things so much cheaper :D

It should fit other models - but note it is 6 speed pattern. It screws onto the stock shifter with some simple changes to the boot and nut (instructions are simple)

stephen8512
05-04-2005, 11:33 PM
here are the pics. Sorry if it appears to be grainy but my photoshop stuffed up on me. argh. i'll take some decent shots of it if u guys want later on.

its pretty simple to fit the knob, and it comes with instructions. But I was not happy at how it looked when I followed the instructions because the ring and the collar kept moving up and down. I had to do some custom work of my own to get the look I wanted.

Heres the site for the instructions.
https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2/instructions/rsx/shiftknob.pdf

Firstly, I did not unclip the console. there was no need to. I just squeezed the original plastic ring out of the shift boot.

Next, there are 3 little bumps on the aftermarket ring (pple who got the knob will know what Im talking about). Those 3 bumps are there to help latch on the collar. I sanded down one of the bumps so it was smooth and i pushed the flange nut in between the ring so it fit.

Then, with the flange nut tight in between the ring, i screwed the ring on with the flange nut together but installed it so that the flange nuts flat face was facing DOWN the gearstick.

Finally, I screwed the shift knob on and got a tight fit. The boot use to have a zip tie on it before so it was a bit crinkled at the top, which was perfect for covering the ring.

From the parts received, I did not use the collar and the zip tie.

Now, the ring and the boot does not move up and down the shaft of the gearstick. it stays in place and is a tight fit, which is what I wanted.

Here are the results. :D enjoy

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/3113knob01.JPG
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/3113knob03.JPG
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/3113knob06.JPG
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/3113knob07.JPG

yfin
05-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Stephen -you have done some weird things to that boot! :D I think the way shown in the instructions is a "cleaner" look - but hey style is subjective. Here is a tip for you - take that boot off and carefully iron the top to remove that crease (iron inside out).

as001
05-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Nice job Stephen craps on the oz oem one

stephen8512
06-04-2005, 12:03 AM
lol yfin. dunno if u were being serious or joking when u said i've done some weird things with the boot :D

how do you take the bottom bit of the console off? i unhooked the top 2, but didnt want to try the bottom as it might snap or something.....

btw just out of curiousity yfin, does the collar and ring move up and down for you as well?

aaronng
06-04-2005, 12:57 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Could I get the seller's ebay ID? I might want to jump on the aluminium knobby crew! Is yours with the red or black lettering? I prefer it with the boot all the way to the knob, like how you did it.

stephen8512
06-04-2005, 01:28 AM
aaronng, mines the black lettering. still looks sooooooo good :D

heres the link to ACURA OF ESCONDIDO PARTS on ebay

http://stores.ebay.com/Acura-of-Escondido-Parts

shop away !!! :D

aaronng
06-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Thanks!!!!!

LOC888
06-04-2005, 08:50 AM
v nice... How long did it take u to install?

baboo
06-04-2005, 09:48 AM
LOL it's the latest trend? hehehe....good mod!!!

stephen8512
06-04-2005, 10:57 AM
v nice... How long did it take u to install?

following the instructions they give u, it takes about 5-10 minutes. But like I said, i did some custom mods to it so it took me a while longer.
Took me roughly 30 mins to an hour to be satisfied with my handiwork

wynode
06-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info Yoram :)

yfin
06-04-2005, 01:48 PM
lol yfin. dunno if u were being serious or joking when u said i've done some weird things with the boot :D

how do you take the bottom bit of the console off? i unhooked the top 2, but didnt want to try the bottom as it might snap or something.....

btw just out of curiousity yfin, does the collar and ring move up and down for you as well?

I was somewhat joking but I think it looks better following the instructions -- the collar and ring doesn't move up and down if installed correctly.

To remove the bottom bit of the console - push the leather part of the boot down - you can get fingers under the plastic to lift it off.

Pum[Z]
06-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Nice of u Stephen to join the bandwagon i mean trend with DC5R gearknobs on euros... Mine is the Skunk 2 with the red colour pattern.. But u guys get the shifter leather to make it look like stock.. God damn it... :D

Nice Type up Stephen...
Yeah ACURA OF ESCONDIDO PARTS on ebay are good... Got my comptech shortshifter from them...

stephen8512
07-04-2005, 12:42 AM
just wanted to ask u on that mike
hows the shortshifter goin? any major problems so far? im considering getting one...
how much did u pay?

Pum[Z]
07-04-2005, 02:46 AM
The short shifter is good.. Its makes a real difference. U don't have to put the loctite glue which comes with the shortshifter... For the money that u pay its bang for your buck... No prbs on it...

Its a bit tricky to install first got to use the neauspeed instructions its much better then comptech's installation diagram. But after u done it once its pretty easy to install...

I paid US $53.. That includes postage and handling as well...

stephen8512
21-04-2005, 03:20 PM
excellent! another one joinin in on what seems to be the latest trend for euro owners :D :thumbsup:

yfin
21-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Ello all,
Just got my RSX R gear knob today from ACURA OF ESCONDIDO PARTS only took 5 working days (costed me 57 dollars US in total) to recieve WOOHOO will be busy 2nite :)

LEt us know what you think - I love it. The only down side is we had a 7 degree morning recently in Melbourne and the shifter was a little cold!

baboo
21-04-2005, 10:07 PM
LEt us know what you think - I love it. The only down side is we had a 7 degree morning recently in Melbourne and the shifter was a little cold!

LOL try 40+ degree up here in Queensland. the incar temp can be up to 60+ degrees and the knob will burn a mark in your hand if you hold it for too long, I had to change the gear my thumb & index finger!

stephen8512
21-04-2005, 10:31 PM
u got pics?

Archangel
21-04-2005, 10:38 PM
*ponders succumbing to peer pressure* :)

yfin
21-04-2005, 10:39 PM
*ponders succumbing to peer pressure* :)

This is without doubt THE best $65 I have ever spent in my life. Is that enough convincing?

Remember - you can easily now spend $65 on a tank of petrol for the Euro.

Archangel
21-04-2005, 10:49 PM
I would have to say yes wouldn't I!

I'm definitely having a look for a new gear knob. Everytime I read these forums I'm finding myself wanting to buy more and more... :|

aaronng
21-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Based on their happiness with the knob, I ordered mine last week. AcuraofEscondido just sent it out on Monday. Should be getting it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Pum[Z]
21-04-2005, 11:31 PM
LOL try 40+ degree up here in Queensland. the incar temp can be up to 60+ degrees and the knob will burn a mark in your hand if you hold it for too long, I had to change the gear my thumb & index finger!

If it gets that hot then start wearing gloves on ur left hand to change the gears hhehehehe.. Golf gloves should come in handy...

aaronng
22-04-2005, 11:35 AM
WOOHOO!!!! My shift knob arrived today! Happy Happy!

baboo
22-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Ah hehehehe......

Good on ya Aaronng!!!

aaronng
22-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Just thinking whether to install it first, or wait until I get my car serviced and my creaks fixed.

as001
22-04-2005, 06:00 PM
depends if you can wait its a easy mod to do though only about maybe 10 - 15 mins

yfin
22-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Just thinking whether to install it first, or wait until I get my car serviced and my creaks fixed.

Why would you wait? Anyone who can read english instructions can install this very easily. Just be careful lifting the panel off - do it gently as there are clips there.

aaronng
22-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Why would you wait? Anyone who can read english instructions can install this very easily. Just be careful lifting the panel off - do it gently as there are clips there.
Because I want to have the creaks out within one day. Don't want to give them any ammunition to blame the creak on anything else. I figure, I get the car in, fix the creak and service and be out in 1 day. Then I install the shift knob. Sigh.. the creak is so bad now... Sounds like a squeaky hinge!

PNR888
16-05-2005, 09:32 PM
I am getting my comptech short shift and metal gear knob fitted tomorrow night at Baboo's place. He ordered for Chris F and me.

Hopefully Chris's Eurio can be out of smash repairer tomorrow, so he can his short shift fitted too.

Will let you know how they go. :thumbsup:

PNR888
18-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Chris F and I had our Comptech short shift installed last night at Baboo's house (I called it Honda DIY headquater). Chris F also has the Acura RSX metal gear knob fitted too. Those short shift feel great and the metal knob looks and feel great.
I still got my stock knob on mine, just going to feel the short shift first, then install knob later.

Sincere thanks for Matell and Baboo for installing short shift for Chris and me. You guys are champions. Because they have done theirs before, so they know which part to take out first, which last and they know exactly where those screws and clips are, so no chance of snapping plastic clips.

It took less than 2 hours to install 2 short shifts and 1 knob for 2 cars. Very good effort I think.

after that, we all turn our focus on Chris F's newly repaired front right fender. His Eurio just out of smash repairer that afternoon. we found a few loose screws need to be tighten up, Baboo also lowered the angle of right headlight (new part) as the low beam was blinding all the on coming cars.

Once again, Thanks baboo and Matell for your great job.

stephen8512
18-05-2005, 09:01 AM
excellent stuff. do you guys have pics?

PNR888
18-05-2005, 10:36 AM
excellent stuff. do you guys have pics?

here is the photo
Baboo (holding the torch) and matell (on passenger seat) in action.

baboo
18-05-2005, 11:14 AM
I think Stephen is after some pics of the finish product. LOL

It was good fun. We were a bit rusty when we did Roger's car that took a bit of time. Chris's car was a breeze I think we finish installing it in half an hour.

Haven't heard from Chris yet, did he manage to get home alright? LOL

Matell
18-05-2005, 11:26 AM

Unless he ground his gears into oblivion, or burnt his clutch out I imagine he did :) Last I saw of him was as he sailed off along Corro Drive . Good job on his headlight adjustment too baboo, it looked to be about spot on from my rear-view mirrors.

stephen8512
18-05-2005, 12:14 PM
I think Stephen is after some pics of the finish product. LOL

It was good fun. We were a bit rusty when we did Roger's car that took a bit of time. Chris's car was a breeze I think we finish installing it in half an hour.

hahah yeah i was but thats ok. good to see you guys learning whilst having fun modding the awesome machine that is the euro :D
mattell, i heard (more like read from other posts) that ur a zymol freak? or is that someone else? i was wondering what zymol products you have and how much they are. because atm im using autoglym and meguiars stuff.... (sorry to hijack thread)

Chris_F
18-05-2005, 01:20 PM
hey guys... i'm still alive, which is good :D, Matt had to literally point me in the right direction though (thanks for that), i guess a refedex would be a worthwhile investment.

I got used to the short shift really quickly, and the metal knob definitely gives a sportier feel.

Just like to reitterate what Roger said aswell.. big thanks to matt and steve for taking the time to help us out with the install and me with the few dodgey things the panel repair place did and forgot to do to my car (loose screws headlight out of allingment ETC.).

stephen - that's albii, he is the car care guru

BTW baboo, i checked the colour of the paint at midday today, and it is actually a bit darker overall. The metallic flecks seem to come through more and on the bonet in particular its got a deep greyish purple colour too it, doesnt look to bad. ALSO, when i parked when i got home i checked the driver side parker that wasnt working... and it was ON :confused: hopefully nothing too dodgey is goin on there.

Overall glad to have my car back and get these awesome mods in but still a few things i gota get sorted out tho (side mirror is malfunctioning)

baboo
18-05-2005, 01:54 PM
ALSO, when i parked when i got home i checked the driver side parker that wasnt working... and it was ON :confused: hopefully nothing too dodgey is goin on there.

That's freaky!!! your Euro is tempermental after the accident.

Chris_F
18-05-2005, 02:07 PM
i think it's just Eurio's way of telling me he's pissed off after we popped his knob off, gutted then re-gutted him, poked him in the eye (headlight adjustment) and gave him a bit of dental work (screwing the front bumper in properly). :p took that analogy to the extreme.

EuroAccord13
18-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Goes to show, three pairs of hands are definately better than one! Stupid instructions.... Grrrrrrrr :P

albii
19-05-2005, 07:25 PM
mattell, i heard (more like read from other posts) that ur a zymol freak? or is that someone else? i was wondering what zymol products you have and how much they are. because atm im using autoglym and meguiars stuff.... (sorry to hijack thread)
iam the zymol freak....................

stephen8512
19-05-2005, 11:37 PM
lol so albii....how much? :D with all that car care stuff

Q_ball
19-05-2005, 11:47 PM
do u kno if this will fit a dc2 gsi??

stephen8512
20-05-2005, 01:45 AM
q_ball. not too sure...

Q_ball
20-05-2005, 01:48 AM
looks hot mate - well done!!
thinkin bout gettin the 5spd one on the site u posted up...
mmm im not an ebay member tho...:(

LOC888
20-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Looking Good, cant wait for my short shifter to arrive....Hey how long did it take them to send out the DC5 aluminium gear knob from that site on ebay?

baboo
20-05-2005, 09:06 AM
3 days.

AccordEuro
20-05-2005, 11:21 AM
emmm......nice, jz a bit too cold in winter!!!

albii
20-05-2005, 02:15 PM
lol so albii....how much? :D with all that car care stuff
zymol wax around $110 a tub (lasts me about 5 years and i use it alot..i wax about once a month)
zymol liquid polish $50 a bottle and hard to find.
zymol creme polish $50 a tub and hard to find.
zymol hd cleanse $50 a bottle...its to strip all contaminants..
not cheap...but you get what you pay for......also you will not go back to using meguires again...
if you want to get some i have contacts......

stephen8512
20-05-2005, 02:21 PM
hey albii
u have PM

aaronng
20-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Wow! Zymol is high end! My stuff is cheap compared to yours. How's the look that Zymol gives?
Megs NXT car wash ($19.95 for 1.9 litres)
Klasse AIO ($39.60 for 500ml)
NXT Tech wax ($39.95 for 532ml)
P21s Carnauba ($54.45 for 175g)
And for touchup work, Meguiars ScratchX ($19.95 per 7oz tube)

BTW, let's start a car detailing thread!

LOC888
20-05-2005, 04:08 PM
3 days.
Thanks mate..that means mine should be here Monday, cant wait...

racerwannabe
17-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Sorry to dig up such an old thread but i think its a good idea to give it a bit of an update.
Anyways i bought the DC5R gear knob and its great...very sexy. However, it does not come with the shift boot adapter.. Unfortunately i did not realise this prior to purchase.
I did a bit of searching online and it appears that the knob with adapter are no longer available.
So just bear in mind that you will need to make your own adapter or get this, if they ship to australia:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Acura-Shiftboot-Adapter-Shift-Boot-JDM-RSX-SBA1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33703QQihZ016QQite mZ260211425489QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If you have made a decent looking adapter please share with the rest of us..

power_of_dreams
29-12-2008, 01:40 PM
just wondering if I get just the knob and the nut, do I need any additional parts?
will the shift boot sit high like stock?

aaronng
29-12-2008, 02:18 PM
just wondering if I get just the knob and the nut, do I need any additional parts?
will the shift boot sit high like stock?

Just pull off the gear trim, take off the white plastic adapter that you see under the stock knob when you take it off. Then put the trim back on but don't press the clips in. Put on the new knob and tighten the nut. Pull the trim upwards over the knob so that it is inverted. Cable tie the boot to the shifter as high as possible and then pull the trim back down.

power_of_dreams
29-12-2008, 03:19 PM
cool,
so all I really need is a cable tie then.

is this method strong enough to keep the boot high over time?

EUR003act
29-12-2008, 05:03 PM
cool,
so all I really need is a cable tie then.

is this method strong enough to keep the boot high over time?

yeah it'll work fine!

:D

i did mine months ago, its still up high :thumbsup:

npcan2
03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I just bought an S2K gear knob (Basically the same as the DC5R knob) and I don't really like how high it sits on the shifter.

Is it possible to cut away the current threading on the shifter stick and re-thread the metal lower (effectively lowering the shift knob position)?

Thanks

aaronng
03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I just bought an S2K gear knob (Basically the same as the DC5R knob) and I don't really like how high it sits on the shifter.

Is it possible to cut away the current threading on the shifter stick and re-thread the metal lower (effectively lowering the shift knob position)?

Thanks
Does it have the locking nut? Is the locking nut holding it up high or is the knob not screwing down enough? Try it without the locking nut to see if it goes down low enough first.

npcan2
03-05-2010, 07:44 PM
With and without the locking nut, the gear knob is sitting at the bottom of the thread. It just feels and looks to high up.

I want the knob to sit lower than it currently does, probably by around 1".

aaronng
03-05-2010, 10:53 PM
With and without the locking nut, the gear knob is sitting at the bottom of the thread. It just feels and looks to high up.

I want the knob to sit lower than it currently does, probably by around 1".
Then cutting the top of the gearstick where the threads are won't solve the problem. You will need to tap the threads lower so that you are able to screw the gear knob down lower.

npcan2
04-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Then cutting the top of the gearstick where the threads are won't solve the problem. You will need to tap the threads lower so that you are able to screw the gear knob down lower.

True, however if I only tap the thread lower, won't the length of the thread inside the gear knob restrict how far down it could go?

I think that if I only tap the thread, then the gear knob will still sit at the same height as it won't utilise the extra thread created.

rayd
04-05-2010, 01:16 AM
True, however if I only tap the thread lower, won't the length of the thread inside the gear knob restrict how far down it could go?

I think that if I only tap the thread, then the gear knob will still sit at the same height as it won't utilise the extra thread created.

heh, i actually put a S2000 knob on my euro a couple days ago - i put it on temporarily just by trial and error, grinding the lock nut lower so that it screwed down in the correct position - of course this is a temporary fix untill i install the comptech short shifter and at that time ill thread the gear knob lower and cut off about an inch off the top of the thread

:D

aaronng
04-05-2010, 07:49 AM

You can measure the depth inside the knob using a stick and compare that to the thread height on the gear stick. But from experience, you probably need to both tap and trip the stick. Be careful as to how you cut the stick because if you ruin the thread, you might not be able to screw the knob on.

CHUBZ
10-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I also have the same Knob with black writing, I love it.
It was "borrowed" from my friends s2000, just required a nut underneath to get the numbers straight