PDA

View Full Version : [CU2] Wheel Bearing or Tyre noise?

rokkuchan
02-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Hi all,

i've been driving this car for a full day now! Enjoying it very much.

But i found that it has a lot of humming road noise coming from the front and on a smooth straight road i can feel a tiny vibration through the steering wheel.

The car has done over 40,000kms so it is very young still.

Tyres are stockies Michelin Primacy HP with about 2-3mm left on them all round. Been Googling around and most reviews of these tyres is that they are very quiet.

Im not sure if it is wheel bearing issue or just the tyres are aged and in bad shape?

How to tell?

But just FYI - steering is fine when i go corners or U-turns with full locks, very smooth and no mechanical noise at all. Road noise/humming is heavier when i do medium to heavy braking from fast speeds.

What do you think??

I CU2
02-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Probably tyres, known problem for ageing Primacy HP's.

mpricecs
03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Agree, sure bet the tyres. If you want swap front to back same side and you will notice a difference (maybe worst or better). See recent post about tyres on 18".

rokkuchan
03-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Yeah thanks guys. Pretty sure it's the tyres too now. Took it back to dealers see if they can do anything for me so they gave me free wheel alignment and balance but that didn't do much.

So got home and rotated front to rears vice versa. Can still hear the noise but vibration to steering seem to have decreased and the humming sound is kinda 'centralised' now like surround sound, which is most likely from the back...

Sigh... tyres still have at least 3mm on them... dont really wanna spend anymore money...