PDA

View Full Version : First gear scream

Jamwa3
09-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Ok so I have a 1996 honda civic 1.6L VTEC and my car recently adopted this squealing/screeching wind up noise as I go up the revs in first gear.... It's not all the time it's only every so often which is why I don't have a clue what's wrong with it ? Any ideas? Is it time to change my gearbox oil ? Anything would be appreciated :)

EKVTIR-T
09-03-2014, 11:51 AM
might be input shaft bearing but strange you say its sporadic not constant

Extremer!
09-03-2014, 06:33 PM
It sounds most likely as your input bearing is starting to play or your 1st gear needle bearing . If you want and you are in Sydney , you can come over so we can have a look at it .

e240
09-03-2014, 09:23 PM
You sure its not one of the belts squealing?

Jamwa3
10-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Nah I live in Canberra and my dad used to be a mechanic but it's hard for me to make him help me sometimes so i have to find out myself..... Yea it's definitely not one of the belts because it would probably do it through all gears at a certain point and I would say it would be more frequent

Super-DA9
14-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Nah I live in Canberra and my dad used to be a mechanic but it's hard for me to make him help me sometimes so i have to find out myself..... Yea it's definitely not one of the belts because it would probably do it through all gears at a certain point and I would say it would be more frequent

Hi Jamie

This is not necessarily true. Try using some belt grip and readjusting the tension on the belts just incase. it'll cost you about $5 and a few minutes of your time so I'd say it's worth a shot and if it does fix the issue it's a lot cheaper than work on the gearbox.

When was the gearbox oil last changed? if it hasn't been done in a long time then it's worth doing regardless.

How do you know the sound is coming from the gearbox? PS pump, AC compressor and alternator all have bearings in them that can make a whine sound too if they're worn out. Need to pin point the noise before diagnosing the problem.

chez00
14-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Hmmm. 1st gear doesn't roll on the needle bearing while 1st is engaged, so it's not that. If it was a major shaft bearing it would make the noise throughout all the gears and it would be there most of the time, most noticeable at idle (usually). Maybe 1st gear is grinding against the pinion or the hub when under load, (due to the helical cut driving it forward)? If this is the case, when you change the oil - I'd recommend doing this anyway - there will be metal shards in the oil, and the oil would look very shimmery.

1. Check belts as others have advised
2. Drain oil and check for metallic shimmer

Jamwa3
15-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Hi Jamie

This is not necessarily true. Try using some belt grip and readjusting the tension on the belts just incase. it'll cost you about $5 and a few minutes of your time so I'd say it's worth a shot and if it does fix the issue it's a lot cheaper than work on the gearbox.

When was the gearbox oil last changed? if it hasn't been done in a long time then it's worth doing regardless.

How do you know the sound is coming from the gearbox? PS pump, AC compressor and alternator all have bearings in them that can make a whine sound too if they're worn out. Need to pin point the noise before diagnosing the problem.

Hey tim yea you have a point about the belts it just really feels and sounds like a gearbox issue but I'll give the belts a go I haven't heard the noise in a while so I dunno maybe it was a shard in the gearbox and I do need to give the oil a change I don't think it's one of those bearings because it's never been anything but 1st gear and it changes sound to the more I accelerate when I do it

Jamwa3
15-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Hmmm. 1st gear doesn't roll on the needle bearing while 1st is engaged, so it's not that. If it was a major shaft bearing it would make the noise throughout all the gears and it would be there most of the time, most noticeable at idle (usually). Maybe 1st gear is grinding against the pinion or the hub when under load, (due to the helical cut driving it forward)? If this is the case, when you change the oil - I'd recommend doing this anyway - there will be metal shards in the oil, and the oil would look very shimmery.

1. Check belts as others have advised
2. Drain oil and check for metallic shimmer

Thanks for that great information I'll do an oil change and let you all know it hasn't made the noise in a while so we'll see :) thanks everyone