PDA

View Full Version : d16y1 no spark.. Please help

FRANKENcivic
16-03-2014, 04:43 PM
My daily & ever trusty eh9 has developed a strange problem, all of a sudden it does not start..

Found it had No spark... I installed new complete dizzy and it started straight away BUT only lasted a few minutes, then for no reason it turned off.. found it has No spark again + now I don't hear fuel pump either..

Car is 100% standard, no cut wires in engine loom that may cause short circuit, etc..

Checked all fuses OK (cabin and engine bay)..

What could be causing this? any advise highly welcome!

dorikin
16-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Test the icm and coil in the distributor
Then test main relay

FRANKENcivic
16-03-2014, 06:06 PM
thanks dorikin - seems that coil and ICM are gone again.. only started and idled the car with new distributor and within 5 minutes the car died..

still guessing as to What's causing the coil and ICM to stop working? already been through two distributors .. need to trace the fault before I purchase another one :(

ECU-MAN
16-03-2014, 08:18 PM
IS it the coil or ICM that failed ?

is your alternator OK, you might want to ensure it not a case of overvoltage.

check your ICM signal wire from the ECU to the distributor for continuity.

FRANKENcivic
17-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks ECU-MAN - ICM went.. changed it but still no spark.... also I don't hear fuel pump priming now. could it be ECU related?? engine light stays on when I turn the ignition and when I bridge contact for error codes nothing happens.. check engine light does not blink just stays on.

b16at
17-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Sounds to me like the main relay.. remove it and re-solder all the connecting points.

ECU-MAN
17-03-2014, 09:35 PM
as above

The Main PGMFI relay is so easy to check and repair its worth the check to eliminate it as being the issue. The Main PGMFI relay also powers the ECU, but to be honest it does sound like your ECU is shagged. PM me if you need help with the ECU.

Both your distributors may be still OK so do not discard them yet.

FRANKENcivic
18-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the quick response everyone.. turns out ecu is fried (thanks ECU-MAN for your help) ..

Recent storm in Sydney & I think water got into engine bay fuse box.. loose/ incorrectly fitted fuse box cover makes me think this was the culprit of fried ECU..

http://s1.postimg.org/pd69qcg3v/DSCF1553.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/pd69qcg3v/)

ECU-MAN
18-03-2014, 08:51 PM
That actually happens to OBDI ECU's over time if not caught in time, JDM ECU's cop it harder. This can be prevented with a service and also repaired if it occurs.