PDA

View Full Version : B16A2 max rpm?

kraiye
20-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Am running shot peinned stock crank and rods with ctr pistons. My tuner is part way through and asked if I wanted to bump the max rpm up because it's still making power at 8800.
I'm sure the head (skunk2 pro goodies) could handle it but would it be wise to not mess with the limiter?

cbauto
20-03-2014, 11:45 AM
I have no experience but considering b16 have such a short stroke and croobra with tight r motor, b18c7 long stroke and still rev to 11.5k rpm

If you have unlimited budget, just Yolo and go for 12.5k rpm

If money is tight, stick to whatever the motor builder recommend. Personally I would go to 9k rpm if you have supporting head job mods

kraiye
20-03-2014, 07:47 PM
cheers :)
played it safe, left it at 8.8 and made 170hp atw :D

Hondarally
21-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Sweet - good numbers.

I remember at a track day some guy came over and started talking Hondas. He seemed to know his stuff (although could have been a keyboard hero for all I knew). He said that the stock B16's are safe up to 8700 - 8800 and will live at those revs all day, but above that you need to start upgrading, or you will have problems. I don't know how much truth is in that (I'm no Honda expert) but mine is set at 8700 anyway, so I'm happy to leave it there.

Tai
21-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Seriously?!!?!

You give him an opinion and tell him that opinion may not be true.

WTF?! seriously GTFO !

Sweet - good numbers.

I remember at a track day some guy came over and started talking Hondas. He seemed to know his stuff (although could have been a keyboard hero for all I knew). He said that the stock B16's are safe up to 8700 - 8800 and will live at those revs all day, but above that you need to start upgrading, or you will have problems. I don't know how much truth is in that (I'm no Honda expert) but mine is set at 8700 anyway, so I'm happy to leave it there.

Hondarally
21-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Yeh Seriously. An opinion. Who'd have thought it - on an internet forum and all.

Shoot me for not being able to back up my comment with research. That's why I said I'm no expert - you know, so he wouldn't be blindly following the advice of some random he's never met on the internet.

I'm sorry if this offended you. If it did, then perhaps you're the one who should GTFO

dougie_504
30-03-2014, 11:37 PM
I have a built head on a stock block. Have been taking it to 9,000RPM with the OEM cranks/rods/pistons etc for the last 3 years. No worries.

androo
31-03-2014, 02:00 AM
I have a built head on a stock block. Have been taking it to 9,000RPM with the OEM cranks/rods/pistons etc for the last 3 years. No worries.

Nice. How many kms do you reckon you have covered during that time?

dougie_504
31-03-2014, 12:55 PM
SFA! Haha

Seriously though the block will do it easy with that rod/stroke ratio.

39erman
17-04-2014, 11:08 PM

Seriously? Using 9k is not a huge issue on stock cast pistons if it only occurs once or twice a lap. 8.8k is safe'ish until the engine starts to wear and lubrication/cooling of the piston/bore starts to fade a tad then BINGO!
Lights out time! Nothing wrong with ITR/CTR pistons if you keep the revs to a reasonable 8.8k and the engine is not starting to get tired.
Realistically how often in a lap would you really use 9k? On the main straight, yes, once, otherwise, what's the point?

dougie_504
20-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Seriously? Using 9k is not a huge issue on stock cast pistons if it only occurs once or twice a lap. 8.8k is safe'ish until the engine starts to wear and lubrication/cooling of the piston/bore starts to fade a tad then BINGO!
Lights out time! Nothing wrong with ITR/CTR pistons if you keep the revs to a reasonable 8.8k and the engine is not starting to get tired.
Realistically how often in a lap would you really use 9k? On the main straight, yes, once, otherwise, what's the point?

I guess you're right. 8,800RPM is safe and 9,000RPM is just pushing it way too much.

Seriously it's my weekend car. When I drive it I DRIVE it.

bennjamin
22-04-2014, 05:20 AM
I'd rather have torque and good gearing to dictate my lap times - I don't think just letting a sub 2.0 NA motor to 9krpm is worth the cost and risk at all.
Just impress your friends around the block with a 3rd to first flat shift lol. "...wow ! BANG "

Sorry OP IMO - leave it as is.