PDA

View Full Version : B series headers

klr816
21-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Hi ozhonda people. I bought a set of PLM headers for my b series from a shop ( name held) in Sydney nearly 6mths ago. Since that time I've driven the car about 7- 10 times. The last 4 weeks i've taken the headers to the exhaust shop to get repaired. As they keep cracking around the pipe & flange. I'm over spending $100 bucks almost every 2 weeks to get these things fixed. The exhaust shop said they can make a set of mild steel headers for $900 - $ 1100 same design as i've got now which are PLM headers 4-1. Just wondering if any of you guys on this forum have bought this product & has had the same happen. The exhaust shop said its becoz they are stainless steel. And stainless steel is very weak material to make a exhaust headers. Hope some one can help me as im confused about what to do.

bennjamin
21-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Take it back to the "shop" you bought it from and demand to be compensated. Easy.
I'm guessing they are breaking along the welds at the head port area?
Probably the material , but also quality of product and also the extra weight and force pivoting on the port welds under acceleration

Then get rid of them and get pretty much anything else.

klr816
21-03-2014, 09:13 PM
i
Take it back to the "shop" you bought it from and demand to be compensated. Easy.
I'm guessing they are breaking along the welds at the head port area?
Probably the material , but also quality of product and also the extra weight and force pivoting on the port welds under acceleration

Then get rid of them and get pretty much anything else.

I bought them from JDM Yard. I took them back twice & the 2nd time I almost threw them at Yonas. He said that it was because there was a small scrape on the down pipe, which caused the pipe to crack away from the flange. The exhaust guy is that he is full of shit, it is because the stainless steel is shit to thin. Im never buying parts from JDM Yard ever again.

bennjamin
21-03-2014, 09:32 PM
It sucks to say but it's your word vs theirs - I send people to them all the time and it's not good to hear this- can I suggest to cut losses and repair the header sell it and forget about all of this. IMO the PLM is not a good design for this very reason

mocchi
21-03-2014, 10:03 PM
dont blame jdmyard. plm is shit.
you bought shit.

klr816
21-03-2014, 10:19 PM
you bought shit.

yes I know now.

eekayfo
22-03-2014, 10:20 AM
ive had no problems at all with my plm 4-2-1 toda rep headers that i brought secondhand. i tigged a 6" flexi pipe and a cat straight onto the collector. do you have the brace that bolts to the back of the block attached? i had to modify the bracket on the headers because they are made for a b18 on a b16... yadedaa. what about a flex pipe? if you are missing eather the brace or a flex joint, then theres your problem. where exactly is it breaking ? at the head? or at the collector/ cat end? the oem manifold has two braces, one on the front of the block and one behind, both limit movement. stainless is a hard brittle material, but that dosent mean that allmost "all" the headers available for hondas arnt made of it....

Limbo
25-03-2014, 02:22 PM
stainless is not weak. Its stronger than steel, but its more expensive, so alot of manufacturers cut costs by using less material, thus the product is weaker.
Also stainless is brittle, whereas steel has some give.
Cheap stainless steel headers nearly always crack.

klr816
25-03-2014, 03:31 PM
stainless is not weak. Its stronger than steel, but its more expensive, so alot of manufacturers cut costs by using less material, thus the product is weaker.
Also stainless is brittle, whereas steel has some give.
Cheap stainless steel headers nearly always crack.

yes just like mine are. I call JDM Yard 2day and had a little talk with them. Very help today. They said I could try the PLM TA headers 4-2-1 or the PLM power driven headers as well. What you guys think of these ? I used to run DC sport 4-2-1 headers, they were on the car for almost 12 years trouble free.

Limbo
25-03-2014, 03:54 PM
not sure, have a look at the headers and the welds, you should be able to see the quality, pick one that looks like a quality item. I haven't looked at B series headers for a while now so can't say

Lukezen27
30-03-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm running the PLM header no problems

6 Months or so but I think they were on the car for some time before I purchased car

Bad installs kill headers more than quality

ayebaybay
30-03-2014, 08:54 AM
I had them before a while back, they lasted me for a bout 6 months are they started to crack. Cheap quality products but you get what you pay for i guess.. Never being a cheap **** again

cbauto
30-03-2014, 10:44 AM
you bought shit.

Stndrd stocks high quality PLM products.

dougie_504
30-03-2014, 10:55 PM
You get what you pay for I guess.

Just make sure you get a receipt and warranty - which I'm sure Josh offers anyway!

Personally my favourites are RS*R, 5Zigen and Fujitsubo.