PDA

View Full Version : D16 engine cross compatibility

Y8EKCOUPE
26-03-2014, 09:30 AM
G'day guys,

I've got a D16Y8 (EX civic) engine in my EK 97 coupe and I'm looking to replace some parts in the engine bay, I was just wondering if all the D series SOHC 1.6L engines are cross compatible in the way of engine parts and if not all, which would be? I'm looking at replacing my cam gears and clutch and don't want to import parts from the US. If anyone knows a handy place to purchase parts for my engine model please feel free to drop a link :cool:

thanks in advance :D

destrukshn
26-03-2014, 01:34 PM
D series cam gears and Clutches should be all the same.

dougie_504
30-03-2014, 11:42 PM
SOHC internals are interchangeable.

Just be careful of the clutch teeth I'm not sure if there's a difference between US and AUS so make sure you get the right number of teeth.

hmetro24
31-03-2014, 09:03 AM
G'day guys,

I've got a D16Y8 (EX civic) engine in my EK 97 coupe and I'm looking to replace some parts in the engine bay, I was just wondering if all the D series SOHC 1.6L engines are cross compatible in the way of engine parts and if not all, which would be? I'm looking at replacing my cam gears and clutch and don't want to import parts from the US. If anyone knows a handy place to purchase parts for my engine model please feel free to drop a link :cool:

thanks in advance :D

Why would you want to replace cam gear and clutch ? d16y8 cam gear is different from d16y1, timing is different, if you wanna get adjustable cam gear, you aint gonna see improvement with stock engine, unless you want to build the head and block for NA or boost. If you have not done any mods to the car, u can get excedy oem clutch or stage1. Clutch is compatible from 92-2000 sohc d series.

Y8EKCOUPE
04-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Why would you want to replace cam gear and clutch ? d16y8 cam gear is different from d16y1, timing is different, if you wanna get adjustable cam gear, you aint gonna see improvement with stock engine, unless you want to build the head and block for NA or boost. If you have not done any mods to the car, u can get excedy oem clutch or stage1. Clutch is compatible from 92-2000 sohc d series.

I'm just wanting to build the engine up piece by piece and I figured put it in now, use it to my advantage later when I boost?

My Y8 is pulling 90 km/h in 2nd gear with nothing but(as far as I know, i've added since purchasing - Could have been chipped/tuned) a short ram air intake, NGK plugs, some Topgun leads and a performance exhaust I had built for more low end torque. So the engine has great potential for a nice boosted daily driver / sleeper.

Next in line is replacing vtec solenoid gaskets as it's pissing oil all over the shop

hondapop
04-04-2014, 04:12 PM
A bit pointless replacing the cam gear(sprocket) without doing the belt, water pump, tensioner and oil seals at the same time. and if you think the cam gear needs replacing, might as well do the crankshaft one as well.

hmetro24
05-04-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm just wanting to build the engine up piece by piece and I figured put it in now, use it to my advantage later when I boost?

My Y8 is pulling 90 km/h in 2nd gear with nothing but(as far as I know, i've added since purchasing - Could have been chipped/tuned) a short ram air intake, NGK plugs, some Topgun leads and a performance exhaust I had built for more low end torque. So the engine has great potential for a nice boosted daily driver / sleeper.

Next in line is replacing vtec solenoid gaskets as it's pissing oil all over the shop
Speed does not say anything, even 300 hp boosted d16y8, at same RPM and same gear ratio will do 90KM. you should know what you wanna do the car, Than you start buying parts, plugs and leads are basic replacement. Imo, chip is kinda useless, Unless you really build a boosted/ NA engine, get Obd1 ecu ex: p28 with neptune or Hondata. Other wise stay stock. also you can not chip OBDII ecus.

Y8EKCOUPE
05-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Speed does not say anything, even 300 hp boosted d16y8, at same RPM and same gear ratio will do 90KM. you should know what you wanna do the car, Than you start buying parts, plugs and leads are basic replacement. Imo, chip is kinda useless, Unless you really build a boosted/ NA engine, get Obd1 ecu ex: p28 with neptune or Hondata. Other wise stay stock. also you can not chip OBDII ecus.

first off I wanna say thank you for showing me how much of a noob I am when it comes to cars (really, I know **** all - am teaching myself/learning off others as I go) I'm an IT Contractor not a mechanic and haven't had much experience doing anything other than a service and changing CV joints.

I want to gain more power in the long run and building a N/A D16Y8 in Aus seems like a very expensive option so turbo it will be - Would you say if i'm just going to turbo the stock engine without replacing the insides that doing the OBD1 swap would be a waste of $$$? Should I be replacing my gearbox with one with a better gearing ratio?

mugen_ctr
06-04-2014, 01:13 AM
Stock internal D16 + turbo kit can hold up to 140kw@wheels fine, any more than reliability goes out the door with a hole in the block or bent rod

Gb is fine, shorter would be better for drags, but no need...

Piggy back such as Emanage will do fine for a basic turbo kit upto 140kw, but if u plan on doin further engine mods, eg. rods, piston, cams, than a honda chipped OBD1 ecu would be the cheapest alternative to re-programmable ecu, as a proper stand alone ecu such as Haltech or AEM would blow the budget way out

Y8EKCOUPE
07-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Stock internal D16 + turbo kit can hold up to 140kw@wheels fine, any more than reliability goes out the door with a hole in the block or bent rod

Gb is fine, shorter would be better for drags, but no need...

Piggy back such as Emanage will do fine for a basic turbo kit upto 140kw, but if u plan on doin further engine mods, eg. rods, piston, cams, than a honda chipped OBD1 ecu would be the cheapest alternative to re-programmable ecu, as a proper stand alone ecu such as Haltech or AEM would blow the budget way out

What sort of a price am I looking at for a piggyback for my D16 ? I don't plan for a huge build so 140kw at the wheels is just fine for me.

stndrd
07-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Do a OBD1 conversion with a Neptune chip too make life easier, especially if you are going to boost it

hmetro24
10-04-2014, 06:07 AM
What sort of a price am I looking at for a piggyback for my D16 ? I don't plan for a huge build so 140kw at the wheels is just fine for me.
p28 ecu = unknown price but not expensive
neptune rtp + software 400$
obdII to obd 1 harness ebay 30 $ , work great.