PDA

View Full Version : CVT fluid colour

Brightlin
01-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Recently had a mechanic tell me my CVT fluid was "black" on change. I said I was surprised, cause I checked it myself before the service using the CVT dipstick, and it was completely clear. He then said that the fluid on the dipstick may be a totally different colour to what is drained out the bottom of the CVT.

I just wanted to know if mechanic's explanation is plausible. Wouldn't the CVT mix the fluid pretty well?

Thank you,
Brightlin

destrukshn
01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
no, go to a different mech, he is trying to rip you off.

Brightlin
01-04-2014, 02:34 PM
OK thanks

Limbo
01-04-2014, 04:31 PM
yeah he's full of it. The colour on the dipstick should be the same as the drainage.

azn310
03-06-2014, 05:23 PM
I just want to point out that any fluid will look black when it is in the drain pan. Because on the dip stick you are only looking at a few milliliters where as there are 3L all together in a pan. Easy case to see is engine oil, try draining it when it is clear brown on your dip stick, it will be pitch black at the drain plug.

Please don't condemn the mechanic just yet; he didn't tell you to replace CVT fluid because it was black, you brought it in to replace and he just reports the condition. Wouldn't have made any difference if he told you the fluid was like new and smells like Chanel no5.