PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a diff pin?

Pseudo Psycho
08-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Car: '89 JDM ZC CRX

I'm rebuilding a ZC gearbox that was suffering from loud bearings and the 'clunk' associate with a worn diff pin. I've acquired a full rebuild kit but I can't work out where I can get a hardened diff pin (from the '92-'00 transmissions).

Can anyone help me out? Where would I buy a 92-00 d-series diff pin?

chez00
08-04-2014, 02:48 PM
If you're talking about the diff spider gear pinion, I should be able to get them new, I'll pm you price tomorrow. If Honda still hold them it will be 2 weeks ex Japan. I may have a decent second hand one here but you'd need to measure your accurately to make sure. Need anything else while I'm at it?

Pseudo Psycho
09-04-2014, 04:11 PM
If you're talking about the diff spider gear pinion, I should be able to get them new, I'll pm you price tomorrow. If Honda still hold them it will be 2 weeks ex Japan. I may have a decent second hand one here but you'd need to measure your accurately to make sure. Need anything else while I'm at it?
Thanks Chez00, I appreciate it. I'm happy with second hand if it's in good condition. I can measure the pin accurately (don't have the diff in front of me, I'll post them when I do). I can't think of anything else I'll need (I have synchros, bearings, and seals but I haven't started the rebuild yet so I haven't encountered the obligatory 'something else is broken' surprise yet.

The other question I have is can I just replace the pin and bearings for the diff? Or is that not a viable solution (for some precision reason or something) and I'll have to replace the whole diff as a unit?
I've heard of people replacing the pin, but I've never heard whether it caused issues later.
Thanks again for your help.

EDIT:
I also checked out your business. You have some pretty amazing services on offer and if I had a bit more money to put towards the project I'd send the transmission to you. Oh well, this way I learn how to rebuild gearboxes :)

Additional EDIT:
I may need diff bearings too: I don't have the diff or the kit in front of me (at father's workshop) but I have a sneaking suspicion it didn't include the big outer diff bearings