PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust & Air Filters

VTi-R
02-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Recommended exhaust 2 1/4 inch, what about the tip does that matter what sort whether it be cannon or the normal muffler.
Someone told me Honda extracters are pretty good as it is, doesnt really make much different if you get new ones.
Personally i think canon is good for looks but shit take-off, got to rev it up heaps.
Still leave them for the turbo's!

I was thinking of changing tip and throwing my airfilter back in (from online performance) they said you can get different air-filters for different purposes ie. 400 mile or track.

I just want a non lagged take-off. Because you **** that up even a mongoose bicycle will snap ya! :shock:

VTi-RT
02-09-2003, 09:01 PM
The tip is only a look thing.

The muffler will determine the sound and if a straight through system add performance. Straight through mufflers like the N1 exhausts are extrememly loud and will attract attention of the cops.

Best performance in regards to an airfilter is not to have one. Different airfilters for different purposes is bs. The less restrictive the better, and if you don't want to lag, rev more on takeoff.

vti-2
02-09-2003, 11:23 PM
The flat panel aftermarket air filters are just as good as the pods. As long as the air flow is there its all good. Obviously the colder the air the better. The reason you get added performance when changing to a pod rather than keeping the factory box is due to the fact that the factory boxes are very restrictive (for noise amongst other reasons). Pods instantly have more air flow and can breathe easier.

If people try to tell you that if the pod is just sucking air from in the engine bay its not good for performance then i wouldn't be asking them for any sort of mechanical advice... :roll:

Upgrading to a pod (or any aftermarket filter) will definitely give some small power gains, more noticable in non-VTEC engines. That is with the pod in the engine bay, without any piping bringing cold air from the front of the car. With VTEC engines, the power gain sometimes isn't much at all (1-2hp) but you get the induction noise (which we all like)... :P

wynode
02-09-2003, 11:36 PM
If people try to tell you that if the pod is just sucking air from in the engine bay its not good for performance then i wouldn't be asking them for any sort of mechanical advice... :roll:

But if the pod is just sitting in the engine bay it will be sucking in hot air which will offset any flow increase. It is argued that while the car is moving hot air is not an issue, but take into account that the pod does heat up and heats the air that enters it.

BTW: All this talk about pods is because they have a larger surface area. But to take full advantage of it, you have to install it correctly.

vti-2
03-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by wynode:
But if the pod is just sitting in the engine bay it will be sucking in hot air which will offset any flow increase.

It will suck air that is hotter than if it was sitting under the front bar or if there was a ram pipe bringing air to it in the engine bay but it's an arguable difference.

Calvo
03-09-2003, 08:33 PM
i fitted a pod and cai last week to my accord. i personally can feel a difference from the stock air filter. i dunno bout performance wise, but throttle seems more responsive, and it sounds frickin awesome wen vtec kicks in :D. u can hear it sucking the air in aswell wen u accelerate.

wil
03-09-2003, 09:54 PM
so it better to put k&n panel filter in my gli rather than pod??

wynode
03-09-2003, 09:56 PM
so it better to put k&n panel filter in my gli rather than pod?? :thumbsup:

wil
03-09-2003, 10:02 PM
hehe problem is that i can't get any... lolz not out yet....

K20AR
04-09-2003, 10:55 AM
just a note:

-cooler air is more denser than hot air and is therefore performance can be more optimised by some sort of apparatus either DIY or aftermarket to suck in cooler air.

-OEM airboxes are good providing the resonator has been removed to somewhat improve air flow.

-exhaust for B16 I would recommend 2 1/4" make sure this is ID (inner diameter) piping rather than OD (outer diameter) as your ID pipe would most likely be less that 2.25".

-as for muffler choices...again make sure it has the same ID piping as the B-pipe otherwise you would lose some bottom-end torque due to the decrease in back pressure!

Hope this helps

cheers

wil
04-09-2003, 11:03 AM
wat do u mean by resonator???

wynode
04-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Its used to reduce inducion noise and in a civic is usually fuond under the airbox (in front of the front tyre).

Its held by a few screws, which you can take out and putt it out (its a funny looking thing!)

K20AR
04-09-2003, 11:33 AM
another thing i forgot to mention is when you are attaching some sort of dryer hose (prefebably 3") make sure its air tight (the airbox) otherwise it wont have the VACUUM effect which is desirable to suck in the cooler air from ambient temperature....

Heat soak (under hood temps) mainly occurs when the car is stationary...not so much when the car is moving.

cheers

wil
04-09-2003, 12:01 PM
hehehe anyone in melb willing to help me out???

Jnr Teggy
04-09-2003, 06:22 PM
good advice here guys!

my recomendation...

keep the std airbox but modify it for a cold air feed straight form the bumper!

and as for exhaust..

a nice mandrel bent 2 1/4' system and a set of dave flood special headers will get you few more ponies!

joneblaze
04-09-2003, 06:54 PM
anyone wanna help me with some cold air piping for my gsi? im so lost, i hear diff. shit from everyone... lol. im planning on getting 2.25" stainless exhaust soon.... was going to grab myself a K&N pod but after hearing alot of issues with that i might hold back for awhile. i just need a hand doing this whole piping thing... apparently u have to pull the front bumper off??? anyone?

jon

Jnr Teggy
04-09-2003, 07:07 PM
just don't do anythign that you can't 'undo' or return to std!

joneblaze
04-09-2003, 07:09 PM
just don't do anythign that you can't 'undo' or return to std!

so wat should i do? anyone wanna gimme a hand or some advice?

A'PEXi
04-09-2003, 08:27 PM
i think there was an aem system for a gsi on ff forums a while ago :)...

Calvo
04-09-2003, 08:32 PM
just remove the stock stuff and keep it in a big garbage bag, thats wat ive done so i can return it to stock.

joneblaze
04-09-2003, 11:51 PM
yeah thats cool, ill do that. but anyone got advice on HOW and WHAT to do for CAI piping???
i mean im a car/honda newb, so everyone just makes broad or complex remarks or comments and i got nooo idea dudes. lol. ive only had my gsi for what, a month? im in the process of selling my 17" ROH rims (pls pm if u know of interested parties :P ) and swapping them for 15 or 16" whites, and as previously mentioned im saving for a custom 2.25" exhaust. ive heard so much blah blah about filters and CAI DIY systems, but i still have NO idea how to go about it. so take urself back to when u were a complete auto retard and address me in such fashion :D . If anyone wants to give me a hand with this cai piping or detailed instructions, would be GREATLY appreciated. i was going to get a K&N pod filter but now am considering just the drop in panel filter version, and lead the cai hosing to the std air box? either way, someone HELP.

jon :roll:

m2h
05-09-2003, 12:12 AM
for the air filter, i would say go for the pod, coz i am now using the K&N drop in panel filter, and seriously, i can't feel the difference......... if u have the pod, atlease u got the look and the induction sound of it if u can't feel the difference, not like the drop in one, it was in the box, u can't see, u can't hear.......... haha..................................... -_-"

one question about the extractor, will u notice the gain after u had changed it ?? NOTICABLE ??

Setanta
05-09-2003, 01:04 AM
The flat panel aftermarket air filters are just as good as the pods.

OMG - a fellow heretic :)

I actually tested this on a dyno - pod got next to nothing at the wheels (mounted as a CAI) compared to a custom made insert using the original box and SiR snorkle (intake is in front of the radiator). Both by themselves made stuff all difference - it was measurable, but not the 5-7hp that a lot of brand name companies like to claim :)

In combination with cams/H/E/ECU I'm sure it'd be another story :)

joneblaze
05-09-2003, 10:47 AM
for the air filter, i would say go for the pod, coz i am now using the K&N drop in panel filter, and seriously, i can't feel the difference......... if u have the pod, atlease u got the look and the induction sound of it if u can't feel the difference, not like the drop in one, it was in the box, u can't see, u can't hear.......... haha..................................... -_-"

one question about the extractor, will u notice the gain after u had changed it ?? NOTICABLE ??

lol... i dont really care that much about the "look" and the "sound" (the sound will come when i get my exhaust done.. hehe), they're secondary concerns. im more concerned about any GAIN and any hassles ill receive from govt authorities when/if i go the pod over a panel.

wynode
05-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Yeah go the flat panel filter.

After you do this, remove the resonator and have some piping bringing in cold air to the bottom of the aribox.

joneblaze
05-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Yeah go the flat panel filter.

After you do this, remove the resonator and have some piping bringing in cold air to the bottom of the aribox.

yeah everyones said to remove the resonator, do u have a tutorial or pics of this resonator? im a hands on noob, so im not really sure where to stick my head under my bonnet and what to pull out. btw, is pulling out the resonator legal?
when u say piping to the airbox, do i have to cut anything in the std airbox? like a hole to fit the piping? this may sound real stupid, lol, but do i basically just attach a pvc hosing to the front bumper area, then lead it up to a hole in the airbox and make it airtight? using silicone or something?
Also, would it be better off using a drop in filter panel in the airbox and having the cai piping, or can i use a pod filter in the std airbox with the piping?

thanks,

jon

wynode
05-09-2003, 12:41 PM
What car was it again?

joneblaze
05-09-2003, 12:57 PM
What car was it again?
1995 Gsi... bone stock.

wynode
05-09-2003, 01:45 PM
I can't give you precise instructions as it is a teggy but they are similar to the civics I'm assuming.

Take the airbox cover off and remove the filter in there. At the bottom of the airbox you wil see a hole where it sucks air in from. This hole leads into the guard in front of the front tyre and this is where the resonating chamber is located (should be the same for the integra). You might have to take some of the shielding under the car off and at worst the front bumper (but I managed to squeeze mine out without taking off the front bar).

There are proably around 2-3 screws holding the resonator in so you will have to take them out also.

Once you have taken the resonator out there will be a hole at the bottom of the airbox with it leading to...well no where basically. Find some piping and out it into that hole at the bottom of the airbox, and plub it down behind the front bumper so it sucks in cold air, and be carefull not to let it get submerged in case you hit a puddle.

Gluck, and if you can, maybe post some pics and we can make it a Tech article!!

joneblaze
05-09-2003, 01:55 PM
I can't give you precise instructions as it is a teggy but they are similar to the civics I'm assuming.

Take the airbox cover off and remove the filter in there. At the bottom of the airbox you wil see a hole where it sucks air in from. This hole leads into the guard in front of the front tyre and this is where the resonating chamber is located (should be the same for the integra). You might have to take some of the shielding under the car off and at worst the front bumper (but I managed to squeeze mine out without taking off the front bar).

There are proably around 2-3 screws holding the resonator in so you will have to take them out also.

Once you have taken the resonator out there will be a hole at the bottom of the airbox with it leading to...well no where basically. Find some piping and out it into that hole at the bottom of the airbox, and plub it down behind the front bumper so it sucks in cold air, and be carefull not to let it get submerged in case you hit a puddle.

Gluck, and if you can, maybe post some pics and we can make it a Tech article!!

awesome, thanks dude.
i think i might be getting some help from bennjammin too, so ill do my best to get some pics if/when i go through with it.

jon

FANATK
05-09-2003, 02:46 PM
for my car all i did was remove all the piping and the resonator to my airbox...
now all i got is the stock airbox with its 1 inch pipe sticking out...
dont think any performance gains, but the sound is loud as any air filter inside and outside the car...

cant get busted either, and you got one of the worlds greatest sounds coming out of your bonnet! :D

VTi-RT
05-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Interesting, show us a pic of it...

Calvo
05-09-2003, 10:02 PM
i gotta remove the resonator. was gonna do it wen i put my CAI but i had not time as i had to go to work. looks like ill need to take front bar off my accord tho.
dang :(

tanghy
06-09-2003, 07:56 AM
blah blah blah blah

stock integra filter is POD not panel

joneblaze
06-09-2003, 10:02 AM
blah blah blah blah

stock integra filter is POD not panel
really?

tanghy
06-09-2003, 10:06 AM
pls take some time to crawl under yr car and see if there is a sway bar

pls tkae more time to take apart yr air box, only 4-5 screws and see if it's a pod

joneblaze
06-09-2003, 10:11 AM
pls take some time to crawl under yr car and see if there is a sway bar

pls tkae more time to take apart yr air box, only 4-5 screws and see if it's a pod

dude im a car newb. i havent had the chance to do so, and i wouldnt be confident enough in case i muck something up. i understand some ppl might have automotive guru status but im not in that league. sorry if i ask too many questions, ive got alot of other things to do besides knowing completely everything about my car.

wynode
06-09-2003, 10:38 AM
If you are not confident doing it yoruself I don't recommend doing it.

I have alreayd outlined what needs to be done and its the best it can be explained without photos and a tute etc. I'll see if I can make a how-to article and post it sometime.

Untill then get someone else to do it with you (someone who knows!).

tanghy
06-09-2003, 10:47 AM
chekc out team-integra.net
you have to register but it's free
there are articles in there on how to remove bumper etc

to remove resonator, no need to remove bumper
just jack up car
remove righr fornt wheel
take out spalsh guard
remove air box from above
find all bolts holding resonator in place, remove them
pull resonator out from bottom
put piping in place
reverse process

use a/c ducting piping

Davo "90 civic"
07-05-2009, 06:49 PM
ok, so i got a newish car (about 6 months ago) an ED, what would be the best way to increase flow with minimal cost.

lookingforboost
07-05-2009, 09:50 PM
we started on a stock civic D16Y4 and the pod is inside the engine bay and is a high flow mesh type, compared to the stock airbox and stock box without the filter and resonator (no airfilter highest flow) the pod made the most power overall and had the biggest increase in throttle response. on dyno was 4 KWATW increase in power over the airbox.
next up was the extractors and decat pipe with a sports muffler made the biggest difference and really made the pod filter sound and perform to its fullest

we are now putting a 3" intake into the guard with pod see if there is any better gains from the cold air induction.

Legal wise if you have a pod filter its legal if you have it sheilded or if its located outside the engine bay. exhaust has to comply with the standards for that year model released but pre 05 i think its 90db

Davo "90 civic"
08-05-2009, 08:48 AM
so, what would be the best way to modify my stock box, i hear that you can just cut and connect a cold air intake straight into it, it that true? i have a d15b4

illchay
16-09-2012, 09:52 PM
i want to do a stealthy exhaust on my b16a2 i got a injen cai for it can someone help me with pipe sizes type of cats and headers for best performance and quietness thanks

stndrd
16-09-2012, 10:10 PM
you cannot have best performance and near stock quietness. Closest you will get is a twin loop with a 2.25in exhaust & 100 cel cat. header choice, personally I would go for a 4-2-1, but it all comes down to where you want to make power

HondaTurboVtec
16-09-2012, 10:25 PM
4-2-1 headers/extractors, 2.25" high flow cat custom single exhaust, Injen CAI that sits down the front bumper where cold air comes or ebay intake.

4-2-1 headers helps low mid range, 4-1 top end.
100cpsi vs 200cpsi high flow cat= 100cpsi cat wins by more flow not a noticable improvement but both better then factory cat.
2.25" is good for a N/A low-mid, 2.5" is good for a N/A top end.

illchay
17-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Which area should i aim of i like my top end cause im not gonna make decent gains down low but i can make it up by top end am i going down the right track? for top end

HondaTurboVtec
17-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Which area should i aim of i like my top end cause im not gonna make decent gains down low but i can make it up by top end am i going down the right track? for top end

What do you drive?

illchay
17-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Ek4 with injen cai

HondaTurboVtec
17-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Ek4 with injen cai

B16A2 engine - do the exhaust system I mentioned earlier, this will allow the powerband be good throughout but bit more on the low - mid end. Will you be getting a tune or planning to do anythig else? It's good you got injen CAI :thumbsup:

stndrd
17-09-2012, 12:36 PM
If you want top end go a 4-1 header with a 2.5in exhaust, tho you will struggle to keep it quite

samyip
17-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi guys,
I have a d16y8 engine, What will I gain the most out of the 2 setups for this engine?

HondaTurboVtec
17-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Hi guys,
I have a d16y8 engine, What will I gain the most out of the 2 setups for this engine?

You can increase up to 5 - 10 or around that figure horsepower & some torque, best results are from a tune. However it isn't really worth it or required for small engines, unless going engine internals, turbo &/or you don't mind paying for a tune with bolt ons.

samyip
17-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking I will get my exhaust system done and get the car a tune, but I don't know what is best between 4-2-1 with 2.25" or 4-1 with 2.5". What set up will get the most power out of the d16y8 engine, I know it not a big gains that why it's better to do the one that will gain the most out of the 2 setups. (I have Injen CAI)

HondaTurboVtec
17-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Exhaust system 4-2-1 Headers/Extractors with high flow cat 2.25" exhaust system

That is what you should get, your car is great for that best flow for the engine you have.

samyip
17-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Thanks mate :)

illchay
17-09-2012, 04:44 PM
yea after i do my exhaust get the greddy ecu tune it then do b18c7/r gearbox and heavy duty clutch then after 3 years get my fulls boost it

HondaTurboVtec
17-09-2012, 04:51 PM
yea after i do my exhaust get the greddy ecu tune it then do b18c7/r gearbox and heavy duty clutch then after 3 years get my fulls boost it

I reckon you should get the clutch done, once the one on the car is basically about to finish or do it when you plan turboing it that way it's new.

HondaTurboVtec
17-09-2012, 04:56 PM
:thumbsup:
Thanks mate :)

Get a resonator fitted so it doesn't have that tingy sound, you can also get a twinloop muffler. Twinloop muffler when cruising it's nice and quite, moment you hit the accelerator :thumbsup: nice sound.

samyip
17-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Cheers! :)

illchay
25-09-2012, 06:54 PM
is 1200 cheap full 4-2-1 extractors high flo cat twinloop exhaust all stainless steel installed i got 2 qoutes one wanted fukn 1800 for the same thing

dougie_504
25-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Depends on the brand mate. X-Force?

HondaTurboVtec
25-09-2012, 07:14 PM
is 1200 cheap full 4-2-1 extractors high flo cat twinloop exhaust all stainless steel installed i got 2 qoutes one wanted fukn 1800 for the same thing

If I was you, stick with mild steel it is alot cheaper.. Get stainless when you are on opens & knowing the car you have is staying with you for a while...