PDA

View Full Version : s2000 engine rebuild costs

arcenite
19-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Was wondering if anyone has ever rebuilt their engine's at a workshop, not DIY! How much did it cost in total for labour + parts?

I've tried looking all over for information on the costs associated with it but can't seem to find any, would be great if someone could point me to a previous discussion that I missed.

DreadAngel
19-04-2014, 07:10 PM
You need to tell us what spec you're rebuilding to... Standard Refresh? High Comp NA? Turbo/Supercharged? Stroker?

And what parts you intend to buy new, reuse [Caution with what you reuse], etc etc etc...

Amount of machine work, etc etc etc...

amant02
19-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Next time search lad.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?172538-Honda-Engines-and-Gearboxes-For-Sale-New-amp-Used.

Giraffe
19-04-2014, 08:11 PM
I was looking for the same thing aswell for rebuilding I got quoted from 3.5k-6k depending on labour cost etc.

Contact MSC in northside, they can hook you up with a pre-rebuilt engine.

arcenite
19-04-2014, 11:20 PM
You need to tell us what spec you're rebuilding to... Standard Refresh? High Comp NA? Turbo/Supercharged? Stroker?

And what parts you intend to buy new, reuse [Caution with what you reuse], etc etc etc...

Amount of machine work, etc etc etc...

Sorry about that, just to rebuild as a standard refresh, with brand new stock parts.

Next time search lad.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?172538-Honda-Engines-and-Gearboxes-For-Sale-New-amp-Used.

hahaha cheers mate but no F20C :p

I was looking for the same thing aswell for rebuilding I got quoted from 3.5k-6k depending on labour cost etc.

Contact MSC in northside, they can hook you up with a pre-rebuilt engine.

Thanks mate, so 3.5k - 6k for a complete rebuild to stock specs with brand new OEM?

DreadAngel
20-04-2014, 03:56 AM
Sorry about that, just to rebuild as a standard refresh, with brand new stock parts.

Thanks mate, so 3.5k - 6k for a complete rebuild to stock specs with brand new OEM?

No need to say sorry, just saying we need as much information as possible to give you the best answer.

3.5k will be for a very basic rebuild, would say 6k rebuild + some machine work like port and polish, head decking, CC Adjustment, etc...

Hasbeen
21-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Well you certainly couldn't complain about that. I spent a bit more than $6K rebuilding to as new, with lots of new parts, my old Triumph TR7 engine.

It is so good now, that with just a little bit of luck, it should have almost half the power of my S2000.

arcenite
21-04-2014, 01:36 AM
No need to say sorry, just saying we need as much information as possible to give you the best answer.

3.5k will be for a very basic rebuild, would say 6k rebuild + some machine work like port and polish, head decking, CC Adjustment, etc...

Cheers mate, so I would be looking at $7k tops then prob? Is that inclusive of labour?

Well you certainly couldn't complain about that. I spent a bit more than $6K rebuilding to as new, with lots of new parts, my old Triumph TR7 engine.

It is so good now, that with just a little bit of luck, it should have almost half the power of my S2000.

hahaha but nothing like a good ol' vintage car

DreadAngel
21-04-2014, 02:45 AM
Cheers mate, so I would be looking at $7k tops then prob? Is that inclusive of labour?

Like previously mentioned ;)

Depends on spec...

arcenite
21-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Like previously mentioned ;)

Depends on spec...

stock specs mate :D

DreadAngel
21-04-2014, 07:05 PM
$7K I would say involves a fair bit of machine work etc...

$3-4k would be stock spec with clean up machine work, replacement of consumables [Gaskets, Seals, Water Pump, etc] cleaning up of running parts, etc.

Been a while since I've done stuff like this so maybe wrong but shouldn't be too far off either.

arcenite
21-04-2014, 08:48 PM
$7K I would say involves a fair bit of machine work etc...

$3-4k would be stock spec with clean up machine work, replacement of consumables [Gaskets, Seals, Water Pump, etc] cleaning up of running parts, etc.

Been a while since I've done stuff like this so maybe wrong but shouldn't be too far off either.

Good stuff mate :)

vtek
21-04-2014, 10:18 PM
How come you are looking to rebuild?

arcenite
22-04-2014, 01:37 AM
Just want to know what the possible additional costs are like when buying a cheap s2k :)

curtis265
22-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Building back to oem spec - ~5k

The car's more likely to have been in accidents from the rear letting loose than have a dead motor.

Super-DA9
22-04-2014, 01:59 PM
If you were to buy a cheap s2k with engine troubles and spend 5k on a rebuild, would it not have been wiser to just spend the extra money on a good s2k to begin with?

curtis265
22-04-2014, 02:05 PM
If you were to buy a cheap s2k with engine troubles and spend 5k on a rebuild, would it not have been wiser to just spend the extra money on a good s2k to begin with?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar29948_16.gif

that wise old owl

EKVTIR-T
22-04-2014, 02:28 PM
good excuse for engine swap

sr20 or 2 jay z

u mad?
22-04-2014, 02:30 PM
sr20? you cheeky kunt lol

EKVTIR-T
22-04-2014, 02:33 PM
sr20det i mean

not groce na

arcenite
22-04-2014, 04:13 PM

Yeah definitely, just weighing my options at the moment. I've been bringing in s2k's to workshops only to look at crappy comp's, even though the body's straight.

sr20det i mean

not groce na

Will never swap an F20C for an SR20DET :s

Super-DA9
22-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Yeah definitely, just weighing my options at the moment. I've been bringing in s2k's to workshops only to look at crappy comp's, even though the body's straight.

Ahh shiet really? what kind of compression figures were they getting?

arcenite
22-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Ahh shiet really? what kind of compression figures were they getting?

Highest were 215, lowest was 190 for a 122,xxx km one way past 5% differences. Currently about to check a 100,xxx hopefully I'll get better results.

To get a low km's 70,xxx k's could cost $22,000 and up and compression may not even be close to perfect. In contrast, I could get a cheap $15,000 one, use the engine until it fails and rebuild it, giving me a brand new engine. But this is assuming both chassis are straight etc., and the only difference are engine comp's.

So far it's difficult to find an S with decent engine comps, most of them have been flogged, burning oil etc. I haven't seen a bent chassis as of yet, regardless of mileage.

curtis265
22-04-2014, 05:10 PM
The engine comps might be off but if it doesn't lose much oil and drives well enough - would you really spend 5000?

You are buying an old car don't forget

Super-DA9
22-04-2014, 05:31 PM
The engine comps might be off but if it doesn't lose much oil and drives well enough - would you really spend 5000?

This is good advice. Anything above 200 seems okay to me, but also remember compression testers are supposed to be used to check for consistency between cylinders, they aren't completely reliable when it comes to max figures.

arcenite
22-04-2014, 07:55 PM

Yeah if they're all consistently above 200 and within 5-10% that's fine, I'm aware that it's an old car so I'll be happy with anything above 200. But if it's more than 10% apart between highest and lowest, it's just a ticking time bomb. If one cylinder's 215 and the other 190, it's not been taken care of at some point during its life. I'd want an engine that's been warmed up/down properly and has had regular oil changes.

I'm only willing to spend that money if it's really cheap lol, I'm just weighing my options at the moment so I'm fully aware of the costs involved down the road if required. Instead of just buying one and then go oh sh*t later on hahaha.

This is good advice. Anything above 200 seems okay to me, but also remember compression testers are supposed to be used to check for consistency between cylinders, they aren't completely reliable when it comes to max figures.

Yeah they're meant to fall within 5-10% between the highest and lowest. But the closer they are the better

Super-DA9
22-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Yeah they're meant to fall within 5-10% between the highest and lowest. But the closer they are the better

Yeah that's right. Consistency is a good indicator of how well it's been maintained as you stated.

arcenite
22-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Yeah that's right. Consistency is a good indicator of how well it's been maintained as you stated.

So sad to see S2000's that haven't been taken care of =/, there're so few in Australia.