PDA

View Full Version : D Series - Distributor Compatibilities/Options

Dang Dang
20-04-2014, 08:46 PM
I have recently purchased a 93 Honda Civic SI (NA DOHC D16A8) and an engine code 9 popped up with a funny idle. I had a look in the distributor (TD43U) and found there was oil in the cap which I believe is the coarse of my problem. I think the main seal has gone and need to find a fix. After researching it for a while I have come to the conclusion that rebuilding or simply replacing it with another OEM one is the cheapest and possibly best option. I understand you can buy them from ebay for 200-300 bucks but I have heard mixed reviews and I looked at getting a OEM one but the price is 800+. I have another D-series distributor (D4W86-10) at my brother in laws left over from another project which can be posted. Can any one tell me if a D4W86 can replace a TD43U, or suggest any other options?

2MPRS
25-04-2014, 10:44 PM
u can transfer the internals over but u must keep the d16a8 shaft as the keyway slot on the shafts are different between the sohc d series and the twincam d16a8

Dang Dang
30-04-2014, 09:15 PM
The D4W86 distributor ended up being OBD0 (from a 93 carby d series) where as the TD43U is OBD1 so none of the parts are transferable as far as I can see. I ended up finding a used TD43U for $150 from my local wreckers (who I had contacted many times last few weeks) so hopefully it will be in good enough condition to go straight in, otherwise I figure I can just steal some parts from my existing one with the stuffed oil seal. Cheers for your response, I guess the other options as you say would be to find a ODB1 dizzy of a sohc d series and use the internals of my old one.

b16at
19-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Interesting as my old zc had a newish dizzy when I got it and the idle was a problem after cleanin IACV & FICV. No ecu codes etc