PDA

View Full Version : Type R under a ton?

10KRPM
07-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey eveyone,

Ive just wondered is it possible to get a type R to weigh in at around or under a ton ?

I know if you have enough money anything is possible but seriously in the next year or so im going to try and achieve this goal. From one mag the weight of a type R is 1080, is that right?

So far ive done the obvious things :

taken out jack and tools
spare wheel
lighter battery

In the next month or so i hope to have a dry cf bonnet made up for it.

My reasons for doing it? well ive done the straight line speed thing with an S15.....now want to explore the handling aspects of having a lightweight na car.

spoondc2
07-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey eveyone,

Ive just wondered is it possible to get a type R to weigh in at around or under a ton ?

I know if you have enough money anything is possible but seriously in the next year or so im going to try and achieve this goal. From one mag the weight of a type R is 1080, is that right?

So far ive done the obvious things :

taken out jack and tools
spare wheel
lighter battery

In the next month or so i hope to have a dry cf bonnet made up for it.

My reasons for doing it? well ive done the straight line speed thing with an S15.....now want to explore the handling aspects of having a lightweight na car.

I've heard about 980kg ITR, let me find the info and i will post it up

lovesil
07-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Try taking out rear seats or even the passenger seat! That will reduce your weight to less than a ton (plus all your already taken out things)

10KRPM
07-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Im going to take off the rear wing too
It does nothing except block my view!

spoondc2
07-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Im going to take off the rear wing too
It does nothing except block my view!

It does work when you drive over 80km/h, don't remove it or your car will become very unstable, maybe get CF wings

00dc2
07-04-2005, 08:22 PM
what was the weight diff of the battery you got and how much was it? what did the stock one weigh?

- take out your floor mats.
- rear seat belt components.
- get rid of the rear wiper (there is a kit for that).
- replace electric mirrors with lighter manual ones.
- stock seats are nowhere as light as racing recaro Evo seats.. but they are $1000 each and dont recline.
- take air conditionsing off the engine. (your car probably weighs more that 1080.. if you include a/c).
- headers can be replaced with thin Stainless steel ones (replace heavy stock).
- ditto with the whole exhaust (titanium cat back if your rich).
- you can get lighter suspension components (springs and sway bars..)(other?)
- lighter wheels (8.6lb Vs stock ~13lb each)

its a very expensive exercise!

Speeder
07-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Hey the stock weight of a AUSMD DC2R is around 1140kg.
1080kg is the jap spec without aircon, SRS, ABS, Xenon and stereo.
We get all the above except for Xenon, and some might not have aircon as they were not std option.

Good luck, one fundamentals of a good sports car is to be light weight :thumbsup:

10KRPM
08-04-2005, 04:36 AM
1140 ....DOH! i might have to change my goals and just have it around the ton mark..instead of under.

Well the exhaust is pretty much custom......the muffler is as small as you can get and i dont think it has a cat.

I thought the stock wheels were fairly light? is this not the case?

And the wing actually does something?? man thats a surprise...hahaha.

edw-R
08-04-2005, 10:26 AM
As i know. your exhaust can't give you the best performance(just loud). If you change better exhaust, i think you will be more happy. Are you using full bucket seat for the driver side now??

spoondc2
08-04-2005, 11:01 AM
1140 ....DOH! i might have to change my goals and just have it around the ton mark..instead of under.

Well the exhaust is pretty much custom......the muffler is as small as you can get and i dont think it has a cat.

I thought the stock wheels were fairly light? is this not the case?

And the wing actually does something?? man thats a surprise...hahaha.

Well it's the $$$$$$$$ that you need, other than the list above, you could even remove powerwindows, change the rear passenger windows into plastic, no fog lights, just remove everything that is useless, then replace everything to as light as possible, yes i mean EVERYTHING, pully, strut bar, airbox, piston, cam, full exhaust system, radiator, suspension, control arms, caliper and disc, rims and tyres, full-bucket seat, transmission system, centre console.................etc

After move everything, do scaling of your car to balance all the corner weights, this helps alot in corners

dc2r
08-04-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen Australian Magazines say that the stock DC2R weighs in at 1087kg... and they're not talking Japanese here!!

Anyway, remove everything that is not necessary. Power everything, AC, rear seat, spare wheel, passenger seat... replace hood, wheels, etc. After all that, you will probably have a non-road legal car?

And of course the wing does something. It's not a riceboy accessory. These cars were made for racing so it helps if there's downforce and stability at high speeds.

Speeder
08-04-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen Australian Magazines say that the stock DC2R weighs in at 1087kg... and they're not talking Japanese here!!

You shouldn't always believe what Australian jounralists say, as I find that Aust mags are not allways on the ball in terms of fact. I too have seen couple of Aus mags quoting 1087kg.....but that is for a dead STD ITR, without any equipment. This info is from Honda JP, the people who make the cars, so who do you believe?

Anyways, you better start tripping if you want the magical under a ton DC2R :D
Good Luck!

Speeder
08-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Oops, honda quotes 1120kg for the car with aircon, SRS, ABS..

keztec
08-04-2005, 04:01 PM
replace all panels with cf if u got the cash

10KRPM
08-04-2005, 04:53 PM
errr all panels with cf...if i had the money to do that then i probably wouldnt have the type R in the first place....probably would of bought a bmw or something.

Anyways yes it has a full bucket race seat. Yeah the exhaust is loud too but i dont know if changing it will make that much a dif for the money involved. Although it does look a bit rat shit at the moment.

I was thinking buddy club exhaust but it seems they have gone out of business.

I think i will take out the rear seat....thats about 40 kg or more there and maybe be satisfied with that.

^^v
08-04-2005, 05:26 PM
...I was thinking buddy club exhaust but it seems they have gone out of ...business.

sorry to go off topoic...
but when did that happen???

whtdc2
08-04-2005, 11:08 PM
the cheapest and the easliest way is to put lesser fuel:thumbsup: 1 lt = 1 kg

spoondc2
09-04-2005, 01:00 AM
the cheapest and the easliest way is to put lesser fuel:thumbsup: 1 lt = 1 kg

Hmmm..... i think 1 litre of fuel = 0.8kg....... -_-
the density between water and petrol are different

THRUST
09-04-2005, 02:10 AM
The DC2R is already a lightweight track ready car IMO. You'll have one really uncomfortable ride if you stripp it down.:(

DaPlaya
09-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Hmmm..... i think 1 litre of fuel = 0.8kg....... -_-
the density between water and petrol are different
lol u clown, ur right thought, petol is less dense than water. chemistry ownz

edw-R
09-04-2005, 04:26 AM
I don't think the weight of rear seat is 40kg or more.

spoondc2
09-04-2005, 05:08 AM
lol u clown, ur right thought, petol is less dense than water. chemistry ownz

Oh..... -_-

well, if anyone wants to know more about weight reduction for their R, search in honda-tech forum, someone weight each of the parts he removed

edw-R
09-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Remove parts:

Remove Spare Tire 9 kg 0 kg
Remove Jack 2.5 kg 0 kg
Remove Floor Mats 4.5 kg 0 kg
Remove Passenger Seat 13.5 kg 0 kg
Remove Rear Seats 4.5 kg 0 kg
Remove Muffler 4.5 kg 0 kg
Drain Washer Fluid 0.4 kg 0 kg
Remove Cruise Control 3.6 kg 0 kg
Remove Speakers 3.6 kg 0 kg
Remove Stereo 1.8 kg 0 kg

Change parts:

Carbon-Fiber Hood 16 kg 6 kg
Lightweight Wheels 9-11 kg 4.5 - 7 kg
Lightweight Lug Nuts 40 Grams 20 Grams
Intake 4.5 kg 1.5 kg
Header 9 kg 4.6 kg
Exhaust 16 kg 10-11 kg
High Flow Cat 3.8 kg 0.9 kg
Crank Shaft Pulley 4.5 kg 0.9 kg
Pulleys 2.5 kg 0.9 kg
LightWeight Flywheel 9.3 kg 4.3 kg
Lightweight Battery 10 kg 6.8 kg
Cam Sprockets 0.9 kg 0.7 kg

10KRPM
10-04-2005, 08:06 AM
man the rear seats only weigh 14kg.......

Thanks for posting that list up though....tried looking for it on honda tech yesterday and couldnt find it.